Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Flushing Rocky (Part II)
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Flushing Rocky...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 10 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
gourmetguy
gourmetguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: All kinds of stuff
Grinder: Various in my day
Drip: You name it I've had it
Roaster: just an iRoast
Posted Sun Jan 30, 2005, 4:20pm
Subject: Re: Flushing Rocky (Part II)

Very cool.  Craig, what size is the nut you had to remove to take out the bottom burr?  Any special tools required or will a simple socket wrench do?  Any tips?  Just cleaned my Rocky this weekend but have never removed the bottom burr...
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sun Jan 30, 2005, 6:28pm

Hi gourmetguy. Your Rocky or any grinder won't really be totally clean unless you get the bottom burr off & disassembled for a through cleanup.The nut is 12mm, & I had an old piece of soft brass (from 1975!! {:-O), & softer than Rocky's marine grade brass., that I ground down to fit Rocky's grind chute outer sides with a snug fit. This will brace one of the sweeping vanes so you can crack loose the acorn nut counterclockwise. The size is around .300" 300 thou, between 19/64" .296875" or 297 thou - 5/16" .3125" or 313 thou.

CraigA: Pict0134.jpg
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:20pm

Craig...I had heard somewhere that  removing the bottom burr was a no no...especially for semi-noobs!
Not quite sure what you mean about having to "crack loose the acorn nut"
I'll take a peek when I remove top burr tomorrow...I have the new "cyclone"  Black and decker DustBuster....very powerful...cleans out shute and hopper quickly....

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:32pm

IMAWriter Said:

Craig...I had heard somewhere that  removing the bottom burr was a no no...especially for semi-noobs!

Posted January 30, 2005 link

Very simple really Rob!, but if anyone's unsure or doubts their abilities, don't then., use your discretion.

Not quite sure what you mean about having to "crack loose the acorn nut"

I mean breaking the nut loose, (crack loose - to loosen)., just a saying or terminology.. {;-)

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:43pm

CA...never was too sharp about those anatomical terms!  ;>D

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Sun Jan 30, 2005, 10:53pm

RJ., {:-o Ok!
{;-D

buzzmccowan
buzzmccowan
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: LM FB80 / LM GS3
Grinder: Anfim Super etc etc
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Loring Kestrel 35kg
Posted Fri Feb 4, 2005, 7:13am

Just Picked up a Click Clack, for fellow Canadians Linen's n Things does carries the proper model.  I wasn't so sure it was going to work that well when I put it on, it seemed to be a hair loose fitting on my new Rocky. I don't have to push the buttons in on the lid to take it off.  However, a few pushes downward and, wow!  I actually am finding that if I dose properly, I can leave Rocky running and push the click clack lid down while it is running, the grounds come out even easier, and get the last little bit into my portafilter.  This is made physically managable by having just done the switch modification on the Rocky click here  I also moved the white switch to the front, matches the white click clack a bit.  Thanks for making this time saving discovery...my wife thanks you to for promoting a New Zealand product, she is a Kiwi (we even bought New Zealand made strollers for our kids!...good strollers too).
Cheers,
Kaelin
merge03

Espresso: La Marzocco GS/3
Grinder: Compak K-10 Doserless
Drip: no
Posted Mon Feb 7, 2005, 10:43am

After 6 months of use (about three doubles, daily of course), I finally cleaned the Rocky Doserless.    

Most of the old grinds where in the snoot, or the rubber gasket behind the snoot.   I used a vacuum, so it's not possible to guess how much.   I removed the finger guard, the hopper, the top burr carrier, the crown nut, and the bottom burr carrier.   Took all of 10 minutes to fully disassemble.

But there wasn't that much frozen in there.   Sure, there was some locked on dust in several null voids, but it required picking at to free up.   There was very little of what I would consider loose old grinds in there.   I cleaned everything up, and vacuumed well before re-assembly.

I grind non-oily beans almost exclusively, so that may contribute to lack of internal gunk.   But I'd be hard pressed to convince myself that I needed to do this level of cleaning more than every couple months at the most.    Blaspemy to some I'm sure.

In any event, for someone who is handy, disassembly and reassemble, without instructions, was fairly trivial.    YMMV.
DEchelbarger
DEchelbarger

Espresso: Solis SL-70
Grinder: Macap M 4, Rocky,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos, Nicro
Drip: pour over, Chemex, FR Press,...
Roaster: RK Drum, I-roast, manual...
Posted Mon Feb 7, 2005, 10:55am

This must have been cleaning week.  After 6 months I also cleaned the Rocky – just like the above post.  I also did the tape mod – which improved the my grind – this is an easy and worthwhile mod.  I was impressed with the Rocky’s innards, and pretty amazed that it wasn't dirtier than it was.  Sure it needed cleaning but my vacuum, and monthly Minute Rice routines actually do a pretty good job.  I see this as a six month project.  Now I have two other grinders, and so Rocky doesn’t get a ton of work – usually just for one or two espresso shots a day on average, and sometimes I’ll grind for drip or press in it.  Anyway, not hard to do and very glad I did it.

Dave E
lcaplan
lcaplan

Espresso: Elektra SemiAutomatica
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Posted Tue Feb 8, 2005, 8:17am

I have tried everywhere in the NY area to find one of these canisters, but with no luck.

I have contacted Click Clack and they sent me a list of on-line store that carry their line, but none have this series of products.  When I contacted Click Clack again they said that this was not a line that is normally carried in the US.

Does anyone know where I can get a couple?

Thanks in Advance,

Len

CoffeeMe Said:

Dechelbarg: Yes, while pressing together the toggle, move ClickClack lid up and down inside the hopper. Since it's a perfect fit, it pushes air out through the chute. Left over grinds exit from chute as well.

Stash: the size of ClickClack I have is 0.7L (as shown on the link provided earlier). Just want to make sure you get the right size.

Posted January 20, 2005 link

showing page 4 of 10 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Flushing Rocky...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.302670001984)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+