Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
On the road to ruin... [ AKA - Thanks CoffeeGeeks! ]
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > On the road to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
g0bez
g0bez
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Macap MX (eBay Specia)
Roaster: Local Roaster:...
Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 10:28am
Subject: On the road to ruin... [ AKA - Thanks CoffeeGeeks! ]

I haven't had my Gaggia Classic for very long (I know... it isn't even a very good machine), but now that I have a Macap MX grinder (ebay!) and figured out how relatively easy it is to roast my own beans, I am already having trouble enjoying coffee I get elsewhere.... and I know my espresso isn't even "excellent"! I work from home, so it is always there... begging me to brew another...

Part of me wants to stop now so I can still enjoy coffee elsewhere... but I know better. There is no stopping now.

So, this is a "Thanks!" to everyone here who has contributed with advice / input so far... I'm sure I'll have more questions, but you've set me well on the path to ruin my enjoyment of sub-par coffee. May you continue to ruin many more coffee drinkers with espresso enlightenment!!

On the plus side -- I've convinced my wife to "let" me spend our former coffee shop budget on the home gear / beans... so at least I have that going for me.
 View Profile Link to this post
Dayglow
Dayglow
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 10:47am
Subject: Re: On the road to ruin... [ AKA - Thanks CoffeeGeeks! ]

I know how you feel. It took me a long time -in all my consumable passions- to get over my taste buds and any snootiness I might be experiencing towards a better product and be able to enjoy a less desirable product. Just because I like great scotch and craft beer doesn't mean I can turn my nose up at whatever else someone may offer me in there home. Same thing goes for coffee. If I stay with a friend and all they have is Folgers crystals or want to grab a $bucks down the road, I won't turn them down because of my preference and then dog on them about it. Don't let it stop you from getting deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole, just be able to accept to accept that not everyone does. At least that's how I survive.
g0bez
g0bez

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 11:03am

Good point! That is very true... and I don't think I'm becoming a jerk about it (I value my friendships more than coffee, and I'm not "that" kind of guy), but the difference in flavor is so noticeable.

Beer is a good comparison. I will drink what is available / offered, but deep down my preference is for something so much better.

I do have 2 friends who do enjoy coming over more often now because they like the espresso, which is pretty cool. Maybe the solution is just to get everyone else on board so that most places I go we have access to some good beverages!
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 11:13am

Welcome to the dark side, Luke!  Ha, jk!

I recently updgraded my "coffee bar" (was a wine bar by builder's design of our home).  In doing so, I dropped $3k on it.  It got me thinking about how much money I've put into this hobby over the years on gear, etc.  I came up with an approximate $10k over about 11 years.  Considering there are 3 1/2 of us in my home (me, wife, full-time mother-in-law, half time father-in-law), and drinks for all of us at least once a day...$1k a year ain't bad compared to going to a cafe for it all. I briefly (yeah, like for about 3 seconds) considered using this as an argument to my wife to purchase a Slayer, Synesso, or LM one group, or a Speedster...but I know she'd never go for it.  Ah, but one can dream, rght?

...but, as you well said, the stuff outside the home is very rarely drinkable now (at least to me).

and +1k to Dayglow's reply.  You have to maintain a certain tolerance for the taste and preference of family and friends. As long as you can get it down the hatch, there's a lot to be gained by keeping your thoughts to yourself and accepting what's offered. As Indiana Jones said between his teeth..."Eat it! This is more food than these people get in a week" (or maybe that's a paraphrase?)

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 11:16am

g0bez Said:

Beer is a good comparison. I will drink what is available / offered, but deep down my preference is for something so much better.

Posted June 13, 2014 link

yeah, I'm pretty much a beer snob too...but I forced down a Bud several years ago when visiting a friend who had been like a father to me for many years.

g0bez Said:

I do have 2 friends who do enjoy coming over more often now because they like the espresso, which is pretty cool. Maybe the solution is just to get everyone else on board so that most places I go we have access to some good beverages!

Good luck on that campaign! Let us know when you give up.

g0bez
g0bez

Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 11:20am

Averaging $1k/year is actually really good, I think... especially considering what you can probably do now with the setup you have. I've decided that I can not try out any other equipment now that I'm happy with what I have. I've spent well over my $1k for the year ;) so I can't afford to want more than what I have!!

I was thinking more about what Dayglow said -- and truthfully, if it is something social (and this goes for beer, coffee, scotch, food, *whatever*) where it is about the fellowship and not about the [insert item here] I can definitely handle the sub-par stuff, no problem. But when it comes down to choosing something to drink (on my own), having the option to make this at home makes skipping the pricy sub-par coffee shop stuff an easy no-brainer.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Jun 13, 2014, 3:21pm

I'm sure your wife won't care when she taste how good that coffee is and cheaper lol. My wife used to go to Starbucks once or twice a day. figure what like 4-5 bucks a drink that adds up yearly.... plus it's nasty swill. She won't even go into a Charbucks now ;) . Plus even if you can go to a "real shop" it's nice and convenient making at home and far cheaper.

Your in Chicago too which is a little mecca for coffee, you have some awesome roasters there. I love Metropolis, Bow Truss, Gaslight etc. Friend lives there and he was like yeh lets get some coffee I know this incredible place Lavazza, I was like are you kidding me lol?!? He's all like isn't this the most incredible coffee you've ever had, I just said dude this sucks. I took him to Metropolis and few others, like how do you live in Chicago of all places for years and not know about all the killer coffee spots around you, he was blown away how much better it was. Be like me living in South FL and not knowing about all the killer seafood joints ha
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jun 15, 2014, 8:26am

g0bez Said:

I haven't had my Gaggia Classic for very long (I know... it isn't even a very good machine), but now that I have a Macap MX grinder (ebay!) and figured out how relatively easy it is to roast my own beans, I am already having trouble enjoying coffee I get elsewhere.... and I know my espresso isn't even "excellent"! I work from home, so it is always there... begging me to brew another...

Dont sell the Gaggia Classic short as it is a real espresso machine and truth be told some of the best coffee I had came from mine. It is a SBDU machine
so it does take more time but its as good as any out there just takes more effort. The boiler cycles fast so thats a plus.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Sun Jun 15, 2014, 10:45am

Iluvdabean Said:

Dont sell the Gaggia Classic short as it is a real espresso machine and truth be told some of the best coffee I had came from mine. It is a SBDU machine
so it does take more time but its as good as any out there just takes more effort. The boiler cycles fast so thats a plus.

Posted June 15, 2014 link

"...as good as any out there..."???

Although I agree with what I think you're trying to say, this particular snippet is very misleading.  Make no mistake...the G. Classic is an entry level machine.

boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Jun 15, 2014, 11:31am
Subject: Re: On the road to ruin... [AKA - Thanks CoffeeGeeks!]

Iluvdabean Said:

... the Gaggia Classic ... is a SBDU machine so it does take more time but its as good as any out there just takes more effort.

Posted June 15, 2014 link

I'm afraid I must disagree that the Classic is "as good as any out there," no matter how much effort is given.  

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > On the road to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.343394041061)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+