Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Thoughts About Repeatability
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Thoughts About...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 7:24am
Subject: Thoughts About Repeatability

This isn't as much a cry for help as an observation about my espresso making. I get a subscription service, usually around the 3rd day post roast, and will pull an espresso first thing (afternoon). I warm up the machine for about 30 minutes, sometimes 40 (the time isn't that consistent). Almost every single time the shot is near heavenly and i think this batch is going to be amazing. I set my Vario to what the subscription service's roast level usually is.

The next day, in the morning, I have an auto timer in the wall socket and have it usually come on about 30-40 minutes before I wake up and pull my shot. The follow up day, 4th day post roast is always a downer and find it hard to reproduce the first day's results.

This just blows my mind as I set my PID to the same temperature, don't adjust the grinder the next day, extraction is a similar mass in the same amount of time.

Anyone else experience this? It almost seems mental to me, ha.

I have a kill-a-watt coming. I'll have to see if it can determine how long my machine is really heating up in the morning since it's a mechanical socket timer.
 View Profile Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 8:22am
Subject: Re: Thoughts About Repeatability

Espresso is not like most brew methods.  Because of the finer grind and pressure extraction, espresso reveals a lot more about what's in the bean than other brew techniques.  Espresso is very sensitive to changes in the beans, as they settle, mature, and finally stale.  

There are a lot of changes during the first five or six days post roast.  Even if the coffee is perfectly dialed in (temp, grind, dose) daily, you can expect it to change character in the cup as it matures and settles down.

Remember that technique does not produce an "absolute," but serves only to get the best out of the bean -- whatever that is.

As the coffee matures, the ideal dial-in dose is less variable than grind or temp; while temp is usually less variable than grind.  In fact, since the ideal dose is largely a function of head space and basket, it shouldn't vary much at all.    

If you let your coffee rest longer than three days post roast, say six or seven, before dialing in, your dial-in grind and temp will need less adjustment during the remainder of the coffee's "fresh" window.  

Try and dial-in your grind by flow rate, and your temp by taste.  Once you've got the coffee temped, you can start fooling around with grind -- but if you're in the right flow-rate range with a reasonable dose for the basket, chances are pretty good you won't be able to improve your results by much.  

From a pure technique standpoint, and as a sort of general rule, the better the grinder the less adjustment for aging you'll need to perform to get optimal dial-in.  For a lot of reasons Varios aren't terribly stable, and you should expect to dial-in yours frequently.  

During the three to five day period, plan on dialing-in grind and temp, almost from scratch, daily.    

Hope this helps,
Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 9:25am
Subject: Re: Thoughts About Repeatability

I completely agree with you. My subscription service tends to roasts on the lighter side making the mature time longer in my opinion.

The only problem with waiting for it to 'settle' down is that I usually get best results on the first pull. then i spend the rest of the beans adjusting it trying to get it back to the first pull.

Yeah, the weird thing is that the temperature and flow rate are identical between the first a subsequent pulls.

It sounds like I prefer the coffee before it completely releases most of it's o2. bummer, ha.
 View Profile Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Thoughts About...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.183425188065)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+