Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
coffee-based baby girl name?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > coffee-based...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
harrymanback
harrymanback
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: expobar brewtus ii
Grinder: la cimbali md6, baratza...
Drip: nah...bodum press(es)
Roaster: modded wear•ever popcorn...
Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014, 4:07pm
Subject: re: coffee-based baby girl name?

outofnowhere Said:

please don't do it daddy, please, please, please.

Posted March 27, 2014 link

cute. . . i'm guessing at best it'd be a middle name. . . and besides, I turned out alright!

harry manback.

"i should pull up the hardwood to see if there's carpet underneath! . . . no, that's never the case."
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014, 4:21pm
Subject: Re: coffee-based baby girl name?

harrymanback Said:

cute. . . i'm guessing at best it'd be a middle name. . . and besides, I turned out alright!

harry manback.

So did all my born on hippie commune friends, well those that didn't overdose but most changed their names legally. Lol
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Mar 28, 2014, 9:25am

frcn Said:

THIS might say it all.

You just beat me to it!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014, 10:54am

Odd names are more common now.  But I would pick a name that would look good on an CEO office name plate.  There is a good article I read about names and socioeconomic outcomes.  And they did an experiment with the same resume sent out with Anglo names and with ethic names and tracked how any interviews they got.

True story: My father has a family name that is very unusual, sounds a lot like a girl's name and would be probably considered cool today but when he was a kid it was very uncool.  He said he learned to fight because of his name.  He hated his name so much he goes by his middle name and named all 3 kids very plain vanilla names.  I wish my name was a tad more exotic but I would error on the side of conservative for any kid of mine. You could have a coffee nick name. (peaberry would be cute) Or like you said pick a name that can be shortened or morphed to a more middle of the road name.  

LOL @ unbornbabygirl

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014, 2:23pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

Odd names are more common now.  But I would pick a name that would look good on an CEO office name plate.  There is a good article I read about names and socioeconomic outcomes.  And they did an experiment with the same resume sent out with Anglo names and with ethic names and tracked how any interviews they got.

True story: My father has a family name that is very unusual, sounds a lot like a girl's name and would be probably considered cool today but when he was a kid it was very uncool.  He said he learned to fight because of his name.  He hated his name so much he goes by his middle name and named all 3 kids very plain vanilla names.  I wish my name was a tad more exotic but I would error on the side of conservative for any kid of mine. You could have a coffee nick name. (peaberry would be cute) Or like you said pick a name that can be shortened or morphed to a more middle of the road name.  

LOL @ unbornbabygirl

Posted March 29, 2014 link

Good you pointed out that article, Helen. I read it too a couple of years ago, iirc. I think one of the conclusions is that people with more standard, easy to say and "common" names are more likely to advance in their careered through promotion...or something to that affect. My second son is Ronan...but we figure he'll end up going by Ron or use his middle name - Dario.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014, 2:42pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

they did an experiment with the same resume sent out with Anglo names and with ethic names and tracked how any interviews they got.

Posted March 29, 2014 link

I was just reading about the seminal research in this area by Bertrand & Mullainathan (2003). In this case, they were interested in organizational discrimination in hiring. They sent 5000 resumes to 1300 job openings in Boston & Chicago, and varied the (implied) race (along with gender and qualifications) of the applicant. They manipulated race & gender by first names: e.g., Kristin, Carrie, Brad, Jay (distinctively "White"), and Ebony, Latonya, Jermaine, Leroy (distinctively "Black"). Distinctiveness of the names was based on birth certificate data from Boston births. (you can download their original report here)

In terms of race, given the same qualifications, 10.1% of "White" applicants were called, but only 6.7% of "Black" applicants were. Interesting was that resume quality (qualifications) had an impact: for "whites," high quality resumes received more callbacks, (11.3% vs. 8.8%) but for "blacks," there was little impact of quality (7% vs. 6.4%). Even the high quality "black" resume got fewer callbacks than the low quality "white" resume. There was no real difference between Boston vs. Chicago and whether the job was clerical to manager in any of 6 industries.

Their summary is that having a "white" name is equivalent to 8 more years of relevant experience in terms of being called for an interview.

I don't think you can generalize to other ethnic names, and don't have time to look up the literature, but there is an effect of something called "processing fluency" whereby we will prefer things that are easier to process mentally. For example, names that are easier to pronounce or that occur more frequently in our native language. So it would follow that, all other things being equal, people with names that are more "familiar" or "normal" in English would generally be preferred to people with names that are "weird" to English language speakers. This effect, of course, would likely be moderated by lots of other factors.

"Caturra" or "Cataui" might be weird enough to trigger processing dysfluency concerns. Mercedes not so much I think. But does "Mercedes" trigger other ethnic or racial stereotypes and biases? Maybe.

This is not to say that you should not name your child a distinctive name or a distinctively "Black" name, but rather to point out the inherent and often non-conscious biases most of us have that affect our social decision making. You need to work to consciously override those tendencies if you want to reduce your use of bias and discrimination.

As a man that has a name often mistaken for a woman's name, I am well aware of the assumptions that carries with it. I also would not want to burden my child with a lifetime of having to spell his or her name to people whenever they give their name or risk it being brutally misspelled. :) My grandson is named Darrix. I imagine that will trigger a misspelling every time. But who knows - maybe he will like being unique and spelling his name every time! :)

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > coffee-based...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.311970949173)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+