Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
What would you do?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > What would you...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
steamer
steamer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014, 7:41am
Subject: What would you do?

Okay I looked and decided on a grinder. I looked at our regular sponsored sellers and found one that had the model I wanted, everyone else was out of stock. I ordered and got it 6 days later, as I was cleaning it out I found a Inspection tag inside, the unit was 3 years old. Hmm, wait, that can be right, so I called the seller and got moved around a bit and finally someone explainded to me that, they were also out of stock and found some other company who could not sell their old stock and had them ship me one of their unsellable units. Now I paid $50 more than what the others were selling for, but they were all out of stock. Once I was told the reason why I had a 3 year old unit, that was all what was said, no offer to replace with a new one when they came in, no offer to discount it, or even return for another model. Nothing.
My question, would you return it or keep it? (Aside from shipping cost to reurn)
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014, 8:04am
Subject: Re: What would you do?

steamer Said:

Okay I looked and decided on a grinder. I looked at our regular sponsored sellers and found one that had the model I wanted, everyone else was out of stock. I ordered and got it 6 days later, as I was cleaning it out I found a Inspection tag inside, the unit was 3 years old. Hmm, wait, that can be right, so I called the seller and got moved around a bit and finally someone explainded to me that, they were also out of stock and found some other company who could not sell their old stock and had them ship me one of their unsellable units. Now I paid $50 more than what the others were selling for, but they were all out of stock. Once I was told the reason why I had a 3 year old unit, that was all what was said, no offer to replace with a new one when they came in, no offer to discount it, or even return for another model. Nothing.
My question, would you return it or keep it? (Aside from shipping cost to reurn)

Posted March 26, 2014 link

What type of grinder is it and is it an older model?  If you didn't get what you paid for (updated parts) then I'd return and demand a refund.  If it's 3 years old but the same machine exactly, never used in box I'd just make sure you have the same warranty from the seller.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
steamer
steamer

Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014, 9:26am

It is a Masser Electric Mini-B. There has been some changes siince 2011 based on Mazzer web site. I was planning on putting in the Jolly burrs but unsure if the carrier will take it now. I guess my point is, if you bought a car that was to be new, and you got home and found out it was 3 years older, although never driven, what would you do?
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014, 9:28am

steamer Said:

It is a Masser Electric Mini-B. There has been some changes siince 2011 based on Mazzer web site. I was planning on putting in the Jolly burrs but unsure if the carrier will take it now. I guess my point is, if you bought a car that was to be new, and you got home and found out it was 3 years older, although never driven, what would you do?

In that case.. I'd return it.  Your not getting what you paid for.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014, 9:42am

The burr swap has been a standard "mod" for years.  It would be a shock if the SJ burrs aren't the same, straight, "drop in" they've always been.  

That may or may not be the issue for you.  We may have descended into "it's the principle of the thing."  The seller should have disclosed they were selling NOS instead of current production, but they did not.  Since the object was not as advertised, they should not only refund but bear the freight costs as well.  

Have you spoken with them (phone, not email)?

In your shoes, assuming the burrs fit, I'd be more inclined to ask for a discount on a future purchase than forcing the issue on this one.  But that's not a recommendation, just a matter of personal style.  

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
toyman

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Expobar Office Lever Plus,...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Cuisinart
Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014, 1:00pm

Wow, if they don't have an issue with that, I guess you should be glad it's not a refurb also?  That seems to be pretty poor business practice IMHO.  It's one thing if they were up front about it (and even discounted a little), but you stated that you paid a ($50) premium.  I would send it back.
TheRealScubaSteve
TheRealScubaSteve
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Delonghi EC155
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Posted Wed Mar 26, 2014, 10:35pm

steamer Said:

There has been some changes since 2011 based on Mazzer web site.

Assuming these changes were not critical, I would keep the machine if the seller was willing to work with you on the price - perhaps free shipping or free burr upgrade or a flat percentage off the purchase price. If they are not willing to offer some sort of discount, it'd be most assuredly returned and I would expect a refund on shipping. If they hassle you, there's always the BBB or AG that would be more than happy to rectify the situation. This goes beyond the pale for business practices as far as I'm concerned. If they make it right, though, I would chalk it up to a big "oops" that was rectified.

"But it is not a perfect world and none of us are god-shots.  As for me, I am a little over extracted and therefore slightly bitter and my crema is thin..." -Buckley
steamer
steamer

Posted Thu Mar 27, 2014, 7:48am

I just finally got the grinder dialed in on grind and time, an email to the seller, who we all know BTY, has not reponded back yet. I will give them till Firday to at lease respond. Iy is an odd situation.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > What would you...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.26523900032)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+