Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Should I buy from Amazon
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Should I buy...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Mon Mar 24, 2014, 4:31pm
Subject: Re: Should I buy from Amazon

You seem to be of similar mindset as I was.

I started this lovely espresso adventure in November of 2012. Like most, I started with an EC155 and a capresso infinity.  I switched grinders around...returned the infinity and got a bodum bistro grinder/hario mini mill. I then bought a non-pressurized basket for the EC155, which led me to notice that the bodum was trash. The bodum was moved to the drip only grinder (which is fine because thats what my girlfriend uses). I then bought a MDF and promptly made it stepless. I then decided the EC155 was trash and upgraded to a used Gaggia Classic. I pulled many great shots with this combo of the classic and the MDF (albeit, I removed the doser and made a chute like thing). I should mention that all of this happened within the span of a month, haha.

About two months later I bought a Baratza Vario and put a PID on my classic (and silvia steam want, pressure fix, etc). I haven't looked back and don't really have upgraditis...yet. It probably helps that a lot of my focus is now on coffee roasting.

The reason I gave the time line is because it'll likely happen similar to you (luckily I have very moochy relatives, so all my old gear has a home). You'll save a lot of money just going with the Vario and the classic. If you're short on cash, just get the hario mini mill and suffer for a little while (you'll have huge biceps).  I would also recommend just getting a refurbished Vario from Baratza (I just checked and they currently don't have any but it's updated every Thursday, so check then). The PID is a very easy mod to do (I even did mine from scratch because I wanted more than the kits offered). Now, with some elbow grease, my current setup runs favorably to some coffee shops running roburs and marzoccos.

I am mostly an espresso guy and make milk drinks sparingly for the lady. Therefore, I don't really need the perks of a double boiler or a XC machine
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Mar 24, 2014, 4:48pm

Ais7 Said:

I don't mean to sound ungrateful for advice, I really am taking it all on board! I am even still considering putting all of my budget into a Vario as a result of the advice I have got on here and I looked up the Eureka, which I prefer the look of:)

I really do know that you are right about the factors etc, but I kind of had an interest in embarking on my own learning curve. I wouldn't want to start with a crappy 50 grinder, but I was hoping that the MDF would be reasonable enough to use for a year untill I get board and maybe even invest in a chemex/aeropress at some stage & play around with that. In fact, as I get to like drip methods more and more, espresso might just become an occasional thing for after dinner, espresso martinis etc....

Posted March 24, 2014 link

Don't go by looks, go by performance, in this case can't go wrong with either the Mignon or Vario. Personally I would still go Vario as I'm a single doser, but the Mignon should be cheaper for you. I don't know much about the Mignon but read it's similar to the Vario in the sense that both have burr sets that outperform their size/class. I've used a Vario and Super Jolley same time next to each other and same beans, no difference at all in taste, even though the Vario has a smaller burr set. Meanwhile doing the same thing against a Mini the Vario noticeably had a taste advantage and none of the clumping, Vario outperforms that Mini/K3/M4 class. The Mignon has an even smaller burr set at 50mm yet performs awesome, least from what I read on home-barista.

checking the ebay.uk site the Mignon is under 300 shipped, not sure to Ireland, but that's a cheap price for a great grinder.
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue Mar 25, 2014, 10:12am

Ais7 Said:

I kind of decided that surely something made by Gaggia to go with with a Gaggi machine can't be too bad.

Posted March 23, 2014 link

Don't just make assumptions based on brand.  That applies to everything -- not just espresso.

Ais7 Said:

Is the Rock really no good, as I have read so many good reviews?

Posted March 23, 2014 link

When were the reviews written?  It was considered good ~ a decade ago but there are many better options out there these days.
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Should I buy...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.237883090973)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+