Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Should I buy from Amazon
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Should I buy...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Ais7
Ais7
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 3:53am
Subject: Should I buy from Amazon

O.K. I have decided to ditch my De Longhi EC250 and upgrade.

After much research and soul searching, I have decided to go with the Gaggia MDF grinder & Gaggia Classic. I am aware of the mixed reviews for the MDF and would love a Rocky but I must be realistic and stay within my budget. At least I am moving up!

The best deal seems to be on Caffe Italia.ie, but I have heard horror stories about them, so i am thinking about going for the second best deal on Amazon. I am just wondering if this is the best way to go and what the warrantee and after sales care is like with them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 8:18am
Subject: Re: Should I buy from Amazon

Baratza Preciso is on Amazon, far better then the MDF. MDF is kinda a waste, you have a good started machine (Classic) but you'll pry be let down with the coffee as the MDF is a poor espresso grinder. Rocky is poor too, I used a modded one to be stepless and still didn't like the Rocky, out of date.

Or look at Le'Lit, they have the PL53 grinder. Not sure if it's on Amazon nor sure about retailers for Ireland.
Ais7
Ais7

Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 9:04am

Those two grinders seem to be only available in the U.S. They would also be out of my price range, I am afraid. I can buy a Gaggia MDF for under 150. I have read so much about grinders and i know I should be spending at least 250 but I just can't. I was hoping that the MDF & Classic would be a good start and I could sell the MDF next year when I can afford an upgrade. I really agonised over the decision and I kind of decided that surely something made by Gaggia to go with with a Gaggi machine can't be too bad. I was happy for a long time with my De Longhi and no grinder, so my thinking is that I will try and upgrade ever couple of years until I have a good set up.
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 10:01am

Re: the grinder, you might consider the hausgrind if you're willing to grind by hand:

http://www.madebyknock.com/handgrind-grinders.html

It's espresso-capable and made not far from you in Scotland.
CMIN

Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 10:40am

In addition to the hausgrind, look into the Hario Skerton and do the stepless mod (instructions are on here). Cheap, and will grind for espresso better than the MDF. Your gonna end up with spritzing gushing underextracted or over extracted shots with the MDF because of the poor burr set and wide steps.
Ais7
Ais7

Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 10:44am

I have never seen this brand for sale but I had decided against a hand grinder because I understand it takes a long time and a lot of effort to grind the beans. I have seen people doing it and I imagined that it would be unbearable if you had two or three people waiting for coffee. My dilemma is: I can only afford a Gaggia MDF with a Classic otherwise I can't afford a grinder and there just wouldn't be point in getting the machine without grinder. It is hard to believe that the Gaggia MDF would be of no use whatsoever, or is it?
CMIN

Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 12:21pm

Well would you want those 2-3 people to drink awful shots/coffee from the MDF or good shots from another grinder ;) ? The MDF would be fine for a pressurized portafilter machine like your Delonghi. Pressurized portafilters don't make espresso, more like a shot of drip, as it forces coffee through a tiny hole helping compensate for using preground, or a poor grinder or even whirly blade. It froths the coffee so it appears to have crema but it's just froth coffee, not real crema made from the oils like on a normal machine. With a normal machine with a regular non-pressurized basket it's the grind quality that helps create the right back pressure and puck to extract espresso. It's not a matter of grinding fine enough, almost any grinder under 100 bucks will do that mostly b/c of the dust they create from poor fines control. Espresso requires not just fine grinding but the correct grind quality and consistency.

I started with a Delonghi Bar32 and using a Hario Mini, it worked better than depressurizing the basket. So if you get the MDF don't be surprised if you actually like the coffee better from the Delonghi then your Classic.

A Hario Skerton with step-less mod will outperform MDF easily. Really not that long to grind. Plus the classic is a single boiler, you'll have to wait at least 30 min to full warm up with PF locked in. And you'll have to temp surf taking up time before a shot to make sure your in the right temp range.

What about Ebay for UK, plenty of options there. Look at used machines, usually Classics can be found fairly easily. Same for grinders. If you can save for another month or two and get something like the Le'lit PL53 or Baratza Preciso you'll be much happier and not frustrated trying to make shots.
Ais7
Ais7

Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 12:39pm

OK, you might have turned me off the MDF! I suppose I could just buy the grinder now and the machine later. How about this one

Click Here (www.amazon.co.uk)

Although, I don't really like how it looks, which is a bit of a turn off for that price!
CMIN

Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 12:58pm

Ais7 Said:

OK, you might have turned me off the MDF! I suppose I could just buy the grinder now and the machine later. How about this one

Click Here (www.amazon.co.uk)

Although, I don't really like how it looks, which is a bit of a turn off for that price!

Posted March 23, 2014 link

That looks like a rebadge Breville Smart grinder. Has a narrow window for espresso but will be better than the MDF no doubt that. It's an easy to use grinder, and if you end up doing anything coarse like drip or press it's great for that.

And yes your right, grinder grinder grinder. A decent grinder even on a Delonghi will produce better coffee than a $5,000 machine and poor grinder. And if you want to play more you can depressurized the basket, or better yet replace the basket with a regular one like some do on here. That way you can start making real crema etc.

Remember though you must use fresh roasted beans, anything store bought or preground won't be good and you'll be forced to use the pressurized basket. Even if using the pressurized basket fresh beans make a huge difference. When I started with a Delonghi Bar32 and fresh beans it was much better than anything Starbucks could make.
Ais7
Ais7

Posted Sun Mar 23, 2014, 1:07pm

Thanks. Yes, that ginder has a different name in the U.S. I don't have the De Longhi anymore though, i sold to upgrade! I'd use it for a cafetiere & maybe buy a chemex for a while! The small window might not be good enough, but that really is the most that I can pay and I just can't seem to find good options available in Ireland within my price range!
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Should I buy...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.268424034119)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+