Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Arabica or Robusta?
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Arabica or...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
anthaicafe
anthaicafe
Expertise: Professional

Posted Fri Mar 7, 2014, 7:52pm
Subject: Arabica or Robusta?

For coffee gourmet, it is easy for them to know which is which when they taste. Which do you prefer? Do you think that mixing Arabica and Robusta is a good way?

anthaicafe: Arabica & Robusta An Thai.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Mar 7, 2014, 11:07pm
Subject: Re: Arabica or Robusta?

Really? You are a professional, and that is the question you ask?

The question is without merit. You could not possibly ask a broader question about coffee types. Being that Viet Nam is generally considered the home to some of the very worst Robusta coffee grown in the world, you should realize that. Sure, there are a few good Robustas out there, and while I have only tasted two or three, they were all from India. I am not trying to degrade your country or its recent efforts to grow quality coffee (from what I have read).

But really, the question you asked reminded me of one I use to ask my students when they became troublesome with nonsensical questions of their own:
"Did you bring your lunch today, or did you take the bus to school?"

Any answer is without real value because the question had none.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014, 9:00pm

Since the OP is from Vietnam, where a lot of Robusta is grown, that is probably why he is asking.

I can certainly taste Robusta, and do like it on occasion when it is of high quality and roasted well.

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Sun Mar 9, 2014, 6:30pm

It always bothers me when someone new posts a question and gets treated like the stuff we wipe off our shoes.

Somewhere along the line, the idea that if you don't have something nice to say, take your fingers off the key board and go read another post should have been drilled into most of us here.

Professionals come at all levels. Just because someone makes their living with coffee, doesn't make them the world Barista Champion.

There are a fair number of places out there that mix Arabica and Robusta and they do it for different reasons. One I know of does it just to raise the caffeine content. They sell it as a 'high caffeine' coffee and don't claim it is their best tasting. Some do it because Robusta is often cheaper and it is a way go cut costs. Others do it because they have succeeding in finding a blend that works.

Personally, I prefer Arabica. I like that it has less caffeine, means I can have more. I like that people have worked with processing and terrior and roasting so that I can can get a different experience everywhere I go.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
acasabia
acasabia

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Sun Mar 9, 2014, 6:37pm

sweaner Said:

Since the OP is from Vietnam, where a lot of Robusta is grown, that is probably why he is asking.

I can certainly taste Robusta, and do like it on occasion when it is of high quality and roasted well.

Posted March 8, 2014 link

Absolutely! It gets a bad too bad a wrap sometimes. Every now and then I like a good robusta.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Path Coffee Roasters (PortChester, NY) Feather in cap espresso.

Cold Brewing:
Gimme! (ithaca, NY) Moca Java

http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014, 9:33am

Yes, I can definitely see where my reply was somewhat harsh. I hesitated in replying for a bit, but my feeling at the time was that the OP works for a company that roasts and sells coffee, including Arabica and Robusta offerings. I hesitated and did not use the descriptive term "Spam" in referring to her post, but felt that the post was much the same as if I had posted,  'Do you prefer the {xxx}coffee roaster or the {coffee roaster from the company I personally work for}. The use of the logo of the company he works for as a profile pic, using the company name as her screen name, and her bio stating, "We, SAIGON AN THAI COFFEE JSC., one of leading coffee manufacturers in Vietnam..." on her profile page were what set me off. It just seemed she was tap dancing around a commercial post minefield without actual commercial detonation. Overreacting on my part? Possibly. Wouldn't be the first time. If I had posted a coffee-roaster comparison in the same way he did, would I have been warned or the post deleted? I would think so, yes. Should I be? Also, yes. Is it fair for others to post in that way? Not my call. I am not a mod here (and likely for good reason).

Forum Rules State, "No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated;.."

I hope my response was not taken as prejudicial towards the poster nor towards her country.

Mods, feel free to pull my post if it is out of line. And no hard feelings about it.

And to Thu Pham, the OP, if you feel you have some high quality Robusta, feel free to contact me privately and arrange to send me some and I will review it or give you my opinion privately, your choice.

ADDENDUM:

Just as another set of data points, up to now the OP has made 5 posts here on CG. This thread we are in and four others. Of those four, here are quotations from the OP from three of them:

Topic: Espresso Cheesecake Brownie Sundaes
Quote: Thank you for your recipe. I will try this one with An Thái café

Topic: What & where to buy fresh roasted coffee beans
Quote:  I live in Vietnam, so my favourite brand is An Thai Cafe. An Thai Cafe provide various kinds of roasted coffee beans, such as Arabica, Robusta, Special (one seed only in a fruit), Weasel aroma (fermented to have the same flavour with Civet Coffee). For more information, you all can visit An Thai' page www.anthaigroup.com

Topic: Favorite Everyday Coffee
Quote: Vietnamese coffee is more and more popular with Robusta in the world.

This one feature her company's logo as the profile pic and the same logo in the body of the post.

Let's call it a preponderance of evidence.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
victoriacoffees
victoriacoffees

Espresso: Izzo Pompei
Grinder: Compak K8 Fresh; Mythos...
Roaster: Ambex 15K; Hottop
Posted Sat Mar 15, 2014, 12:20pm

I remember the struggles I had trying to speak in a language other than my own. Most of the time I sounded silly, other times unintentionally rude or without finesse. Worst when I tried to write. Maybe English is her 3rd language, behind French. Point is, I give them benefit of the doubt when reading posts such as this one.

Blending robustas with arabicas can be a delicate matter but one worth trying. They can enhance the body of espresso, making the crema thick, rich, loaded with the notes of the arabicas with which it was blended. That's the good. The bad is they can over power the other coffees, making the blend unpalatable.

-John
www.victoriacoffees.com
Plaximus

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 12:11pm

Oh man, interesting.
lolus

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: yes
Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 5:35am

Plaximus Said:

Oh man, interesting.

Posted April 9, 2014 link

Interesting??? jajaja :P

http://universoperro.blogspot.com.es/
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sat Apr 12, 2014, 7:25am

Arabica OR Robusta isn't much of a question.  There aren't many, if any, Robustas which are good  enough to use stand-alone or blended solely with other Robustas available in North America.  In short, on their own they aren't very good.  

Robustas are often used in inexpensive blends because some Robusta characteristics mimic freshness. And of course, because they're cheap.  

You find Robustas in some okay blends, but not from many Artisanal roasters. So unless you're purchasing greens, roasting and blending yourself, the question of whether you like some Robusta in your blend comes down to a preference for some canned blends and/or supermarket blends over others.  What with average annual temperatures in Hell on the rise, it's probably going to be a long time before my next canned or supermarket bean purchases.  

Like Randy's, my spam meter is reading "11."  Language isn't the problem.  The OP is selling more than a viewpoint.  

Rich
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Arabica or...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.30110502243)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+