Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
If I wanted blueberries I'd eat blueberries....
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > If I wanted...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Plaximus

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 12:08pm
Subject: Re: If I wanted blueberries I'd eat blueberries....

What all these guys said, coffee tasting should be fun.  I can def see the merits of describing notes of the coffee but lately it seems like it has been getting out of control.
 View Profile Link to this post
OvenbirdCoffee
OvenbirdCoffee
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler BES900
Grinder: Breville Smart Grinder...
Posted Wed Apr 9, 2014, 6:09pm

I've got really mixed feelings about some aspects of this. I'm a coffee geek that searched around the world for good coffee wherever I happened to be, and at home, to get/buy/make better coffee, and started a coffee roastery and espresso bar a year ago. After a year of roasting, tasting, sampling, and serving coffee, I know one thing for sure - I want coffee to taste good, and I want to share my love of it with my customers, in a friendly, approachable way. Most taste descriptors are not - they alienate the casual drinker, and potentially make them feel dumb if they can't taste the "flavour notes" that are described.

In my experience, it's only really been in a cupping situation where any of those descriptors bounce through, and cupping is really only for a very small portion of your customers, in the larger scheme of things. I like to talk about mouthfeel, type of aftertaste, sweetness, and acidity. All of these everyone is familiar with, and can easily notice, and these are the attributes I strive to develop in our roasts.

I embrace the fact that I'm a coffee geek, but I would never want to come across as a coffee snob, we should make good coffee as easy to appreciate for a layman as it is for a "Q" grader.
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 8:53am

I think of it much like the coffee flavor wheel we all start with the basic flavor of coffee, then as our palates start to expand, we begin to notice the inner circle of more general flavors, fruit, chocolate, nut, spice, floral, spice, herb, etc. all impressions without further distinctions. Then, our palates start to expand a little more and we start to say to ourselves, "Hmmm, fruit, but a different fruit. Which fruit?" or, "Dark chocolate or bittersweet?" We begin to dig further and make finer distinctions, moving inexorably towards the outer edges and finer divisions of the wheel. It's the same things we always tasted, but the human brain's near endless drive to find and identify patterns will almost always dig a little further.
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014, 11:13am

GVDub Said:

I think of it much like the coffee flavor wheel we all start with the basic flavor of coffee, then as our palates start to expand, we begin to notice the inner circle of more general flavors, fruit, chocolate, nut, spice, floral, spice, herb, etc. all impressions without further distinctions. Then, our palates start to expand a little more and we start to say to ourselves, "Hmmm, fruit, but a different fruit. Which fruit?" or, "Dark chocolate or bittersweet?" We begin to dig further and make finer distinctions, moving inexorably towards the outer edges and finer divisions of the wheel. It's the same things we always tasted, but the human brain's near endless drive to find and identify patterns will almost always dig a little further.

Posted April 10, 2014 link

That's a sane way of looking at it.

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014, 5:02pm

boar_d_laze Said:

That's a sane way of looking at it.

Rich

Posted April 11, 2014 link

"Sane"? I must be slipping.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014, 5:13pm

OvenbirdCoffee Said:

I've got really mixed feelings about some aspects of this. I'm a coffee geek that searched around the world for good coffee wherever I happened to be, and at home, to get/buy/make better coffee, and started a coffee roastery and espresso bar a year ago. After a year of roasting, tasting, sampling, and serving coffee, I know one thing for sure - I want coffee to taste good, and I want to share my love of it with my customers, in a friendly, approachable way. Most taste descriptors are not - they alienate the casual drinker, and potentially make them feel dumb if they can't taste the "flavour notes" that are described.

In my experience, it's only really been in a cupping situation where any of those descriptors bounce through, and cupping is really only for a very small portion of your customers, in the larger scheme of things. I like to talk about mouthfeel, type of aftertaste, sweetness, and acidity. All of these everyone is familiar with, and can easily notice, and these are the attributes I strive to develop in our roasts.

I embrace the fact that I'm a coffee geek, but I would never want to come across as a coffee snob, we should make good coffee as easy to appreciate for a layman as it is for a "Q" grader.

Posted April 9, 2014 link

+1.  Well put.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Apr 12, 2014, 6:32am

OvenbirdCoffee Said:

I embrace the fact that I'm a coffee geek, but I would never want to come across as a coffee snob . . . .

Posted April 9, 2014 link

That's true of every member of the WINE industry I've known over the past 50 years.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014, 7:10am

I don't generally 'taste' what the package says. Really, not at all. My palate is not so refined. What I have learned over time, as someone who does not and never will roast my own, is what tasting notes I like or don't like, even if I don't taste them.

So if I go into a shop I've not been in before, and look to try a cup a joe, I look at those notes to decide. I don't expect to taste citrus or melon or chinese 5 spice, but what I know is I don't care for melon notes, for example.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014, 10:42am

Good point, even if you don't really taste blueberries you might dislike the berryish note in the coffee.  I know for a fact I dislike the strong citrus notes in coffee.  I have has some soft citrus notes that were good but I don't like lemon peel black cat.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014, 4:27pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

Good point, even if you don't really taste blueberries you might dislike the berryish note in the coffee.  I know for a fact I dislike the strong citrus notes in coffee.  I have has some soft citrus notes that were good but I don't like lemon peel black cat.

Posted April 13, 2014 link

I don't like Black Cat either, it's way too sour.

However, "lemon peel" is not always a bad thing.  Most, modern, post-Starbucks roasts (i.e., not roasted too deep into FC+ or beyond) have some citrus quality; and "lemon" and "lemon peel" can be a very accurate description of that nuance.  

I just roasted a coffee -- Ethiopian Dench Meng sourced from Bodhi Leaf -- which, roasted as an espresso (C+/FC) has a strong presence of sweet lemon peel and raspberries; and roasted as a brew (C/C+) is, according to my notes "berry -- raspberry, strawberry, boysenberry, but not blueberry -- lemonade."  

If you, like nearly everyone in the world -- even in the rarified world of people who LOVE coffee -- have never worked at learning to describe what your palate is telling you, you're not going to notice the number of details nor come up with the same "tasting wheel" words for the details you do.  

As individuals we all have unique ways of making sense of the information our taste buds and palates provide us.  For physical reasons, some people can't learn to distinguish what others can.  The education is not palate, it's practice.

And...

Perspective Perspective Perspective:
It's not important to enjoyment.  It's a lot of fun -- but let's not confuse it with something important.

Rich
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > If I wanted...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.320325136185)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+