Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
What would the best upgrade be?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > What would the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jdevleerjr

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Dec 13, 2013, 6:59pm
Subject: What would the best upgrade be?

I will have about $400 to spend come Jan / Feb and I was looking for the best upgrade for the money.

Right now I run a Siliva V3 / Dosserless Combo.   I have several mods on the Siliva, flat screen, bottomless filter, and I adjusted the OPV to 9 bars.  Right now with this combo I can get some very good shots, not perfect but better then 95% of the coffee shops in the area.  

I am toying with a PID kit or replacing the Rocky.  I would go with a Baratza Vario Grinder, and use the rocky for my french press.  I also could sell the Rocky and recoup some of the cost.

I never do Milk drinks, only straight doubles.  

So for the money what would be my better upgrade?  I know most will say the grinder but if I am not having issues with the Rocky should I replace it?  Would upgrading it really help bring my shots to the next level.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Dec 13, 2013, 7:44pm
Subject: Re: What would the best upgrade be?

My suggestion is buy a better grinder. Then sell the Rocky and use some of the money for a PID kit. The answer is YES, a grinder upgrade will be that noticeable. In fact, go read the recent thread about {will I notice a difference if I upgrade my grinder}.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sat Dec 14, 2013, 8:30pm

Good idea Ron, do BOTH!
The PID really helps with Sylvia and you really need to step up from Rocky too. I think that both will give you more improvement than you may think you would see.

For the best bang for your buck, a used commercial grinder can be had in your price range if you have the counter space, I feel they are a great answer but then I am inclined to big, heavy industrial equipment so what do I know? :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jdevleerjr

Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013, 7:59am

What industrial grinder would you suggest?
Hdale85

Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 12:07am

From what I gather reading around the forum I'd imagine it would be a Baratza Vario.

Oh he said industrial, hmmmm that's going to be a big piece of equipment.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 9:29am

It really depends on what you can find, most any commercial grinder will give better results that home duty grinders. The only thing to watch out for is that some of them are stepped grinders such as the Rossi RR45. There is a finer ring for that grinder but the company is out of business so finding the ring may be a little tough. As to a grinder whos maker is out of business, just about the only thing that will give a problem on nearly any commercial grinder is that the burrs will need to be changed. For the most part though, the parts market is pretty easy to get the burrs. The Mazzer SJ (Super Jolly) is pretty common but the supply is starting to dry up in the used market so the prices have been edging up. The N.S. MDX is a very good grinder, I like the adjustment system BETTER than the SJ and as a bonus, they tend to sell for less on the used market too! Those are pretty much the most common found commercial grinders HERE, what you may find where you are could be a little different.
Check the local want add papers for coffee (you will get a lot of hits because that is a common "color" for furniture) eSpresso (same thing with furniture) eXpresso (very often misspelled) also check the Craigs list etc. Your town may have a local restaurant supply dealer who has used equipment, often the prices are higher than Craigs list but not as much as Ebay, where the prices tend to be the highest.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 1:56pm

jdevleerjr Said:

So for the money what would be my better upgrade?

Posted December 13, 2013 link

The grinder.  There's a reason why we say it matters more.  Going from the Rocky to the Super Jolly was one of my biggest improvements in the cup.

jdevleerjr Said:

I know most will say the grinder but if I am not having issues with the Rocky should I replace it?

Posted December 13, 2013 link

Not having issues with something doesn't mean that there's no room for improvement.  Not having issues is generally a low bar to jump.  In short, yes.
jpag

Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 10:02pm

I just upgraded from a Rocky to a Vario.  By far, biggest difference in the cup.  I can tamp with the wrong end and still get a far better shot than my best shots with the Rocky.  The Vario is a big improvement over the Rocky.  I got mine from Baratza refurbished.  It's not the concrete tank that Rocky is, but it's more like a 2014 Rolls - it does a great job at what it's made to do, but if you run it over by accident it will break, unlike the Rocky...

I also have a PID temp. controller on my Silvia, but you can rustle up the parts from ebay and install it for under 100 bucks pretty easily.

I would go with the grinder personally.
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Thu Feb 13, 2014, 1:46am

Upgrading for grinders can choose from Vario and also this one, Eureka Magnon on Demand.  They all can make much bigger difference.

For the machine, Silvia, it is really not necessary.  Although the temperature is not stable, PID is not a must.
If only you make your coffee in a different way, you do not have to worry about the temperature, any more.
That is,

1. get the coffee grounds into your PF, and tamp
  2. release the steam or hot water until the heater start working
  3. get the PF on your machine and keep waiting
  4. once the heating light is off, press the coffee brewing button immediately

Every time you do like this, and alter other parameters; one day you can make a good coffee.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > What would the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.274960041046)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+