Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Years not coming, simply not know where to start
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Years not...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Thu Feb 13, 2014, 12:12am
Subject: Years not coming, simply not know where to start

How is our work about espresso?
Is there everyone going to cupping?

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Feb 13, 2014, 3:31am
Subject: Re: Years not coming, simply not know where to start

Espresso is like work.  The more you do it the easier it gets.

Cupping is like sex education. It's not required but if you don't know what to expect from you just might find yourself in a big mess.
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Feb 13, 2014, 4:04am

Espresso is a hobby and a passion to me. I enjoy a great cup of espresso pretty much like I enjoy a good wine or gourmet food or single malt scotch or a Cuban cigar, for example.

I don't think you need cupping in order to tell if a cup of coffee tastes good to you or not, but it helps to describe that complex sensation we call flavor.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
pstam
pstam

Posted Thu Feb 13, 2014, 6:30am

I noticed that you have the grinder of "Eureka Mignon Istantaneo".  I love it.  It is the most recommended by me now in China.

By the way, do you have the cafe in Germany where Mr. Worldman visited many years ago?

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu Feb 13, 2014, 12:24pm

Hi Peter,

Almost all the espresso and brewed coffee we drink (or supply to others) is the product of our own roasting.  So, we do a fair bit of cupping for sampling, bean defects, wet-blending, and other roasting purposes.  But if I understand you, that's not really what you're asking.

Because it takes me at least 300g of greens to tell if the bean is something I really want to use, and because there are just so many greens on the market at one time, it's too expensive and impractical to sample everything which interests me.  So I end up relying on trusted retailers' descriptions -- perhaps too heavily.

If we drank less of our own and more of others', we'd do more cupping in the sense of tastings. Too bad, because that's not only valuable in terms of choosing which coffees to buy but a way of keeping a finger on the pulse of what other roasters are doing.  And now that I think about it, participating in group tastings at coffee shops is a lot of fun on its own.  

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
pstam
pstam

Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 10:12pm

boar_d_laze Said:

Hi Peter,

Almost all the espresso and brewed coffee we drink (or supply to others) is the product of our own roasting.  So, we do a fair bit of cupping for sampling, bean defects, wet-blending, and other roasting purposes.  But if I understand you, that's not really what you're asking.

Because it takes me at least 300g of greens to tell if the bean is something I really want to use, and because there are just so many greens on the market at one time, it's too expensive and impractical to sample everything which interests me.  So I end up relying on trusted retailers' descriptions -- perhaps too heavily.

If we drank less of our own and more of others', we'd do more cupping in the sense of tastings. Too bad, because that's not only valuable in terms of choosing which coffees to buy but a way of keeping a finger on the pulse of what other roasters are doing.  And now that I think about it, participating in group tastings at coffee shops is a lot of fun on its own.  

Rich

Posted February 13, 2014 link

In my understanding, to choose from different green beans, one has to do cupping all the time.  Like Italian roasters, they cup a lot every years among so many samples from different plantation regions.

For drip coffee processing, in which I mean the roast, maybe blend or so, one has to check the resulting tastes of the beans by cupping, then to adjust the roasting and other processes for the best final results.

If limited to the work of a barista, one do not cup.  At least, in our working procedure, we almost only try to find bad tastes so as to avoid it or them.  We do not try to find any good tastes it may have.  This is left to the customers to do.

BTW, about cupping, how do you do it for drip coffee and espresso?
Or in other words, how do you describe the tastes of a cup of espresso?  Do you find wine sourness, nuts flavor, fruits flavor from it or not?
Basically, do you find "coffee tastes", or just bitter and sour and sweet and so on, not bitterness at all.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 5:06am

pstam Said:

By the way, do you have the cafe in Germany where Mr. Worldman visited many years ago?

Posted February 13, 2014 link

???

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
pstam
pstam

Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 7:44am

I remember that many years ago, Worldman, someone here, went to Germany for his business and saying that the espresso in Germany was too bad.  Then some one here told him to visit his cafe in a city in Germany.  After his visit, he said that the espresso there was much better.

Worldman is still here in this forum, but retired from his work many years ago.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
-------------------
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Mon Feb 17, 2014, 11:39am

Peter,

If I understand you correctly, we agree on most things.

BTW, about cupping, how do you do it for drip coffee and espresso?

If I'm developing a profile, the first cuppings are SCAA protocol.  I'm familiar with a couple of other styles, including COE, but am most comfortable with SCAA because I use SCAA forms and the SCAA flavor wheel; and I use those because (a) I took a course; and (b) I have a bunch of forms printed and ready to go.    

After cupping, I only roast to whatever finish level along the C through FC+ continuum cupped best.  If that finish happens to work well for for aeropress, drip, French press, but not espresso, or some other combination, I don't spend time trying to develop a profile with a different finish level.  I find that the border between C+ and FC is the most versatile and "best" finish for a great many beans, I almost always sample C+, C+/FC and FC; but seldom sample C or FC+.  

At some point, usually after I'm happy with all of the profile's intervals, I stop "cupping" roaster-style, and start "tasting."  That is, instead of pouring hot water over medium-coarse grinds in a cup and doing the SCAA thing, I brew the coffee drip, press and espresso, and then taste it from a cup -- either by the spoonful, if I'm trying to draw very fine distinctions; or in the ordinary way, by sipping.  Depending on how that goes, I may or may not tweak the profile; may or may not use the bean for particular types of brewing.

This is a continuous process for me, even with beans or blends we know well.  My wife and I discuss our coffee every morning.   She has a keen palate, uses non-technical but very descriptive language, and her opinions are extremely helpful.  

Or in other words, how do you describe the tastes of a cup of espresso?  Do you find wine sourness, nuts flavor, fruits flavor from it or not?

Not so much "wine sourness" but otherwise, all the qualities named on the SCAA flavor wheel as well as some very personal descriptions.  For instance, we have a bean, Panama Emporium Estate, which strongly reminds me of a Japanese soft-drink sold here, CalPico (aka Calpis) Lychee; but which the supplier and a fellow cupper described as "bubblegum."

Basically, do you find "coffee tastes", or just bitter and sour and sweet and so on, not bitterness at all.

I'm not sure I understand the question.  We find a wide variety of characteristics in coffee.  Their numbers and particular natures depend on the individual bean or blend.  We also find that bitterness and sourness in "specialty coffees" are artifacts of roasting or brewing than inherent qualities of the bean.

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 11:54pm

pstam Said:

I remember that many years ago, Worldman, someone here, went to Germany for his business and saying that the espresso in Germany was too bad.  Then some one here told him to visit his cafe in a city in Germany.  After his visit, he said that the espresso there was much better.

Worldman is still here in this forum, but retired from his work many years ago.

Posted February 17, 2014 link

There are plenty of coffee shops and espresso bars in Germany, including Starbuck's and the likes. Therefore, espresso quality differs largely. You have to know where to go to in order to get a decent cup. One of the problems is that there are not enough trained baristas who really know their trade, so that even bars with excellent equipment sometimes serve gushers, for example.

If you're talking about Oliver Skafi's (a.k.a. coffeegod)

Kaffee Lounge²
Bockenheimer Landstraße 124
D-60325 Frankfurt

it's still there.

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Years not...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.361848115921)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+