Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
What the growers really think...
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > What the growers...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Feb 1, 2014, 6:29am
Subject: What the growers really think...

Hi guys..

I found that in the last several months perusing this great forum (and others), trade topics are rarely discussed.

So in the spirit of a "state of the union" kind of discussion I created this thread.

I have done searches to prime myself for this discussion and in all that, I have really just one this one question--  I'd like to hear what growers really think of their trade organizations.   I doubt we'll ever know given their fears of disrupting their relationships with their buyers.

Coffee, being the world's second largest export, is an extremely big business.  Lots of competition..   As a capitalists, Americans desire competition as a means for driving prices down for the consumer, but to drive innovation as well. It's a wonderful concept for the first world.  But in third world markets, I have no doubt of the ruthlessness that goes on outside the view of the American consumer.

Trade organizations have sprung up to help Americans sort out this "mess", to understand what they are buying, but they have become messes themselves.  I learned that Fairtrade USA now exists as a completely independent entity from Fairtrade International..It's hard to tell why this happened?  I'm inclined to think it was to take back control over price negotiations (given our histories and philosophies about free economy). In more obvious terms, to lower our prices, increase their margins.

Anyway, I, as a coffee enthusiast, care greatly about the farmers that produce this wonderful "spice"of life.   Coffee is a huge hobby for many of us.  We don't spend thousands of dollars to make coffee so we can save money at  coffee shops..  It's more about accessibility to have the best coffee at your disposal and more so, putting the coffee making into your own hands.. A very satisfying endeavor.    A pound of coffee that typically lasts us entire week or longer is hardly an expensive thing for most of us coffee hobbyists.    As a "wealthy American" (by wealthy I don't mean to say I'm actually wealthy, just someone with enough disposable income to play with expensive coffee machines), the extra buck or two would have little impact on my life, but would be very significant to the farmer... And I'm willing to pay it, *if* it actually makes it to the farmer.

The only way I'd know this is by hearing what the growers really think.  Which coffee should we buy?  

Certification programs seem to start out with good intentions but at the end of they day I feel they are just be yet another middle man..

Intelligentsia has their own direct trade program, as does counter culture.  Are these just ploys to skirt fair trade practices.  Are they actually better programs for the farmers?

So yeah, what the growers really think is what I'd like to know.
 View Profile Link to this post
BonsaiDoug

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Roaster: FreshRoast SR500
Posted Sat Feb 1, 2014, 7:44am
Subject: Re: What the growers really think...

z0mbie Said:

Intelligentsia has their own direct trade program, as does counter culture.  Are these just ploys to skirt fair trade practices.  Are they actually better programs for the farmers?

Posted February 1, 2014 link

I can speak to this, but only a bit.  My son coordinates all green coffee purchases for Intelligentsia,
and is a buyer for Costa Rica.  He just returned from a buying trip to Costa Rica, and from the photos
I've seen, and in speaking with him, the farmers and the Coopedota Costa Rica are quite happy with their
relationship with Intelligentsia - the owner, the farmers and even the pickers.  The facilities at Coopedota Costa Rica
are huge, modern and very well maintained.

From the little I know, it sure looks like the direct trade is a big success for all involved; at least with Intelligentsia and
the farms/co-ops they deal with.
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Sat Feb 1, 2014, 10:27am

I wrote, "I doubt we'll ever know given their fears of disrupting their relationships with their buyers".

I don't think you can not dissolve politics in business partnerships.  When VPs arrive at satellite offices of any company, workers are asked to dress up, behave, etc etc etc.   Even more so with trade interactions.  The larger the buyer, the more they're feared and able to leverage their weight around.  

For example, my wife used to work for JFC International (a Japanese food importer) and many of the rank and file do not like the CEO.  When he comes over, they are asked to treat him literally like an Emperor (it's a cultural thing). And an example of that visitor being a buyer--When Walmart comes, they roll out the red carpet.  In fact Walmart is such the bully that they even require that JFC to send workers (JFC sends salesmen) to stock the shelves during after hours.  It's ridiculous.

Nevertheless I do appreciate the insight your son has with Intelligentsia's Direct trade program, and I hope the interactions he experienced are genuine.

I think the only true way to know is if farmers (and their workers) are able to express freely without fear of repercussion.  That would been anonymity of the farmer as well as the buyers they are talking about (if they are the primary seller).
BonsaiDoug

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Roaster: FreshRoast SR500
Posted Sat Feb 1, 2014, 3:28pm

z0mbie Said:

I think the only true way to know is if farmers (and their workers) are able to express freely without fear of repercussion.  That would been anonymity of the farmer as well as the buyers they are talking about (if they are the primary seller).

You may very well be correct, but I kinda doubt you'll find any posting here on the forum.  Wouldn't you expect all info to be 2nd and 3rd hand?
DavecUK

Posted Sat Feb 1, 2014, 6:54pm

The relationship will be the same as all other 3rd world commodity relationships with large powerful buyers.
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sat Feb 1, 2014, 7:31pm

DavecUK Said:

The relationship will be the same as all other 3rd world commodity relationships with large powerful buyers.

+1 with my pessimistic, cynical brother.

Also, let's not forget that buyers aren't the only party which exploits the economic "partnership."  Even though they may toil in the same fields, owners and peasants seldom eat from the same bowl.

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Sat Feb 1, 2014, 9:33pm

boar_d_laze Said:

+1 with my pessimistic, cynical brother.

Also, let's not forget that buyers aren't the only party which exploits the economic "partnership."  Even though they may toil in the same fields, owners and peasants seldom eat from the same bowl.

BDL

Very good point..

Right now I'm reading about organizations like Thrive Farmers Coffee and CoffeeCSA.org that are working to connect trade directly between consumers and growers .. Technically Thrive is a middle man but they split the earnings per pound after it has been sold and packaged so farmers in their coop end up getting much more of the money made from the coffee. CoffeeCSA on the is a farmer governed coop that sells directly to consumers.
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Sun Feb 2, 2014, 9:16am

If you're ever at Jones Coffee in Pasadena and have to opportunity to talk with Chuck Jones about this, make sure you've got some time, but he's got some excellent insights, as his family has owned a coffee plantation in Central America (Nicaragua, I think, but don't quote me) for several generations, and his grandfather used to work with Alfred Peet. Chuck is all about trying to educate and advance the local population who work on his family's farm, has set up a system to try and keep multiple generations there from being caught in the cycle of low-paid, back-breaking work. I believe he takes special care in sourcing his coffee for the roastery, as he know the business from both sides and feels a big responsibility towards the workers and the small growers.

I very much like the direct trade model, and hate the mockery of it that "Fair Trade" has become. As someone who grew up on a relatively small-scale poultry farm in upstate New York and saw what my dad, who was also committed to helping his farm workers get ahead, had to go through to try and make things work against the increasing wave of factory farming and corporate approaches to agriculture, I also try and be responsible in my selection of greens, in the extremely small scale that I can touch.
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Thu Feb 6, 2014, 12:19am

I understand that coffee business is doing pretty good but you know who really get the great advantage? I think it is the middlemen. Fair trade practice is for the benefit supposedly to coffee farmers but we canít avoid these middlemen who can still penetrate to mingle in the coffee business. Coffee growers know what is going on in coffee industry but nothing to do more except just gazing at those who are in the higher echelon in coffee industry.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > What the growers...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.31091094017)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+