Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Satisfaction, or, You Can't Always Get What You Want...
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Satisfaction,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
JerDGold

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Breville...
Drip: Chemex
Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 2:30pm
Subject: Satisfaction, or, You Can't Always Get What You Want...

But just sometimes, you get what you need.

I've been pulling espresso shots and participating on this forum for about 3 months now.  I'm brewing on an as yet unmodified Rancilio and grinding with a Baratza Vario.  I was disappointed with my coffee, which I was buying from a local roaster outside of CHicago called Newport coffee.  

I tried a new bean, Black Cat Classic from Intelly, spent the last day or two dialing it in and I'm finally happy with my not meager investment.  Not to say that I'm 100% there, but for the first time I just pulled two almost identical shots and very satisfactory shots in a row.  Same grind, same dose and near identical yield and time.  Sours and bitters were in balance, flavor was smooth and delicious with almost no harsh or unpleasant elements.  I am slightly uneven extraction as noted by brief, small bald spots on my naked PF, but all in all I'm very happy.  

Like all things which require patience and technique, improvement is not measured in small increments but in large and infrequent plateaus.  I feel like I've reached one today.  Hopefully I will be able to reproduce this success tomorrow.  Thanks to everyone who participates here, because you have probably helped me.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 2:45pm
Subject: Re: Satisfaction, or, You Can't Always Get What You Want...

Awesome! Thanks for updating the board on your progress. As much as I like to see people get where you are from where you started, I think it's especially helpful to others just starting out, where you were 3 months ago, to see what you've accomplished. For them to know that, no, we're not just giving them unmanageable useless tasks, but really, truly trying to help them improve their technique and overall experience. I hope you'll stick around a long time to help those with less experience than you...and if I helped you in any way, you are truly welcome!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 3:19pm

Are you temp surfing your Silva?
JerDGold

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 10:37pm

I am, reverse surfing.  As soon as the light goes off, I'm relieving the boiler pressure with about a 2 sec. flush, then tamp and brew.  Some of my shots come out a little too heavy on the acid/sour notes, which is strange because I don't really feel comfortable brewing at any "higher" (I know, hard too say when I don't even know the temp) of a temperature.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 11:52pm

There other causes of "too sour" besides low extraction temp. Perhaps you're dose is too high or you're just under extracting by stopping it too soon? Maybe you just need to grind slightly coarser?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 7:37am

Oh nice, I'm from Chicago too. Plenty of quality roasters in the area and i'm not even sure Intelly makes the top 5 for me. Feel free to send me a message or something if you ever want to discuss.
JerDGold

Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 10:59pm

Yes, you are correct.  I went down to 14g and got my chocolate nutty layers back.  I doubt I'm under-extracting, if anything I'm over extracting.  I'm at a weird grind because if I go much coarser I pull faster than I'd like, but if at my current grind dwell time is about 8 seconds, which feels sorta long, but taste in the cup is at least acceptable.  I'm still pretty new and going through a ton of coffee trying different factors out.  Takes a lot of coffee to practice without changing too many (more than one) factors at once.  But like I said once before, taste in the cup while changing things varies from pretty good to undrinkable, but I'm having a great time!
CMIN

Posted Sat Jan 25, 2014, 9:09am

Hmm that's weird, 8 seconds is a long time when your Silvia isn't doing pre-infusion or anything, just turn the pump on that's it. I'm usually around 8 seconds before drips start on average but that's on my machine with preinfusion set to 2 seconds and dwell to another 2 before pump kicks in for extraction. Personally I could never pull good shots with Black Cat no matter what I tried, even at a shop here that used to carry them, and even at Intelly themselves lol, others on here have said the same thing. Just always tasted like weird and tangy not in a good way. Silvia doesn't like to be dosed high stock, the screen screw can hit the puck and fracture it before extraction. How much are you extracting from the 14g and what's your time of extraction before stopping the shot? The beans are a blend that's hard to dial correctly so that could be your issue too.

Since your in Chicago and like chocolate taste, you have to try Metropolis Redline, awesome coffee bomb. I just went through a bag and my wife kept asking if I was adding chocolate syrup or anything in our milk drinks as the chocolate notes were so strong, and straight it was delicious. You have a lot of good roasters in that area, Bow Truss, Gaslight, downtown Chicago has a ton. And then others spread out from there.
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sat Jan 25, 2014, 10:57am

Until you install and master some method of reliable temp control on your Silvia, trying to solve bitter/sour balance problems is wheel spinning.

Yes.  Intelligentsia brews the new (last couple of years) Black Cat extra sour (too cool); but take it home and no matter how hot you brew it, it's going to be face puckeringly Nordic in its sourness.  It's hard to believe anyone likes it.  We quit going to Intelly because Black Cat is so obviously lousy, their taste -- at least to our tastes -- is not trustworthy.

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Posted Sat Jan 25, 2014, 11:36am

boar_d_laze Said:

Until you install and master some method of reliable temp control on your Silvia, trying to solve bitter/sour balance problems is wheel spinning.

Yes.  Intelligentsia brews the new (last couple of years) Black Cat extra sour (too cool); but take it home and no matter how hot you brew it, it's going to be face puckeringly Nordic in its sourness.  It's hard to believe anyone likes it.  We quit going to Intelly because Black Cat is so obviously lousy, their taste -- at least to our tastes -- is not trustworthy.

BDL

Posted January 25, 2014 link

Shop by me that carried it stopped, Baristas and customers didn't like it, no matter what dialing or temp, just had such an odd taste. Back in the day that blend was a chocolate nuclear bomb, now it's like stale oranges and lemons blended together lol. I even had it at their shop in Chicago and neither wife nor I liked it. Only coffee I never was able to pull a good shot with it. Yet this is the coffee that was the go to in espresso world for years and years and talked about like crazy, which is what made me try it so many times wondering what I or shops are doing wrong as it wasn't good lol, but when it wasn't good at their own shop figured it's the beans themselves.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Satisfaction,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.256734132767)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+