Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
How to know what to adjust brew temp to based on bean, roast, profile
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > How to know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 7:46am
Subject: Re: How to know what to adjust brew temp to based on bean, roast, profile

This is definitely an interesting discussion and something i've been struggling with. I have a couple Questions.

Most of the stuff I get is single origin about medium roast. My brew temperature is around 200F and the current beans are about 7 days post roast but the issues i mention are the days leading up to the 7 so definitely not stale.

I have been having a 'early blonding' issue and I seem to only be able to get about 20g in a 30 second pull before heavy blonding. I have no idea how people get the equivalent of 50g (~2oz from their brews). I have tried using 16g in a 15g basket, 18 and 17 in a 18 basket, and 22 and 21 in a triple basket (doesnt have a max measurement but i'd say around 23/24).

Now, is the best practice usually to check the puck right out of the portafilter and make sure there isn't a 'screw indention' on the top of the puck from the shower screen or does this not matter as much?

I have also tried to lower the brew temperature but not sure how that affects blonding.

I don't know many roasters that roast that far these days. Redbird being one of the only i've be able to find (def nothing local). Is this also a big factor?
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 8:01am
Subject: Re: How to know what to adjust brew temp to based on bean, roast, profile

brianl Said:

This is definitely an interesting discussion and something i've been struggling with. I have a couple Questions.

Most of the stuff I get is single origin about medium roast. My brew temperature is around 200F and the current beans are about 7 days post roast but the issues i mention are the days leading up to the 7 so definitely not stale.

I have been having a 'early blonding' issue and I seem to only be able to get about 20g in a 30 second pull before heavy blonding. I have no idea how people get the equivalent of 50g (~2oz from their brews). I have tried using 16g in a 15g basket, 18 and 17 in a 18 basket, and 22 and 21 in a triple basket (doesnt have a max measurement but i'd say around 23/24).

Now, is the best practice usually to check the puck right out of the portafilter and make sure there isn't a 'screw indention' on the top of the puck from the shower screen or does this not matter as much?

I have also tried to lower the brew temperature but not sure how that affects blonding.

I don't know many roasters that roast that far these days. Redbird being one of the only i've be able to find (def nothing local). Is this also a big factor?

Posted January 24, 2014 link

Well I'm using a single boiler machine and now that I've experimented with ridtretto's there's a pretty big taste difference between pulling a 1 oz ristretto and a 2 oz espresso shot. I know for a fact that the temp drop from the smaller size boiler on my Silvia plays a role.  As for the puck indentation It's fine as long as you don't move the portafilter once you lock it in.  I plan to get rid of mine very soon just in case.    To prolong blonding I know pressure profiling helps huge.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 11:53am

Measure and adjust headspace by using the coin test(s) BEFORE -- not after -- extraction.  I suggest using the nickle and dime test.  In most machines -- and I think "most" includes both the Gaggia and Silvia -- a dime placed on a dry puck should leave a faint impression when the pf is locked in; but a nickle should leave a sharp impression.    

Any machine with a three way valve will suck the puck back against the screen after the shot, which means the post-extraction impression is completely meaningless -- as opposed to the almost totally meaningless impression on the post-extraction puck from a machine without a three way valve.

As a nearly universal rule of espresso improvement, post-extraction pucks have nothing to teach anyone about anything.  

Extraction dose/time/blonding problems can be difficult to solve.  Maybe there's someone who can give you THE right solution based on your description, but if so, it ain't me.  As a sort of generic cure for "too fast," you'll want to grind tighter, try different size baskets; and use a naked pf to learn important things about distribution.  Keep on tweaking.

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Sun Feb 16, 2014, 10:12am

There are too many answers and some of them are too long and complicated.
Without reading all of those answers carefully, I would tell my own opinions about this problem.

Since the espresso brewing depands on not only the temperature but also the pressure, we generally do not modify the temperature because we can adjust the pressure, which is much easier.  The brewing result depands on the combined result of the temperature and the pressure, so we can get the good result by turning the pressure alone for the most cases.  Only if the water is not hot enough, we have to raise it.  Otherwise,we seldomly need to touch te temperature.

For different beans and roast, we normally only have to adjust the pressure or even only the amount of the coffee grounds.
I don't see the reason why to adjust accourding to different beans and roast.  If really need, adjust he amount of coffee grounds canbe enough for the most cases.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sun Feb 16, 2014, 12:42pm

Rich, excellent mnemonic and summation, I am forever second guessing the correct sour/bitter directions, and now I can remember it easier, thanks :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > How to know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.230484962463)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+