Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
How to know what to adjust brew temp to based on bean, roast, profile
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > How to know what...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 9:45am
Subject: How to know what to adjust brew temp to based on bean, roast, profile

Can anyone answer this for me or point me in the direction of a good article that explains what you should adjust your espresso or drip brew temperature to based on beans and roast temps?  I'm not looking for exact numbers here just the basics.  I will be buying upgrades for all of my equipment soon.  PID for the Silvia or at least a temp probe to make surfing more precise, ADR for the Sonofresco and a water boiler with temp adjust. Bonavita maybe?..

Example:  If I am brewing Sumatra SO espresso, Vienna (Medium Dark) should I increase temp higher or lower for better extraction.

Sorry if this is confusing.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 1:57pm
Subject: Re: How to know what to adjust brew temp to based on bean, roast, profile

Well, personally I think you should taste it high and low and decide for yourself.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 5:02am
Subject: Re: How to know what to adjust brew temp to based on bean, roast, profile

You can have a good coffee if you follow the best temperature for brewing coffee between 195 F and 205 F. No matter what kind of beans or roast temperature, the brewing temperature should be between that ranges of temperature. Your brewing taste depends on the kind of beans you are using and how it is roasted.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
Burner0000

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 6:09am

Thanks guys.  That's the plan.  I will just taste for myself.  I'm pretty sure the temp range of the Silvia is 195'$ - 212'F anyways.  I guess what I'm trying to figure out is there a huge difference in taste if roast profile, grind and taste are dialed in?
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 7:32am

The better roasters, often provide tasting/roasting comments on their coffee, in these, the advised brew temp is given.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 7:41am

As a rule of thumb one might say that the darker the roast, the higher the brewing temperature can be. In the end, it'll be a question of trial and error to find the optimal setting for a specific bean or blend.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 7:44am

NobbyR Said:

As a rule of thumb one might say that the darker the roast, the higher the brewing temperature can be. In the end, it'll be a question of trial and error to find the optimal setting for a specific bean or blend.

Posted January 23, 2014 link

Yeah I figured this off the bat.  What got me thinking was I roasted some light Ethiopian a while back and started pulling a shot a few seconds before the heater kicked back on.  Turned out to be a good tasting under extracted shot.
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 8:33am

Too hot makes it bitter.  Too cold makes it sour.  When I temp, I have to remind myself every time: "Beverly Hills Southern California; bitter hot sour cold," or I forget.  You're probably smarter.  

Helen (coffeenoob) is right.  You have to "dial-in" temp for every coffee using your palate.  Everyone else is wrong.

Very light roasts, lighter than City, will tend to be "acidy," which can be interpreted as sour (and usually is actually sour, if you ask me), but that's the roast not the temp.  You can't adjust for inherent sourness by brewing the coffee hotter than the temp at which sours and bitters balance.  

The same is true for coffee roasted beyond Full City plus, i.e., they're inherently bitter (like burnt caramel), but brewing colder won't help -- any more than throwing vinegar into overcooked butterscotch would help that.    

Most coffees will do best somewhere in the 198 - 202F range.  But "most" is not all and neither is it "the vast majority."  You're going to have to taste.  199 - 200F is a good guess, though.  

It's likely that even after Mickey Mousing around with the offset adjustment for your PID, it won't read quite the same as an SCAA standard Scace Device -- so, unless you rent a Scace and calibrate your PID accordingly -- take all temps with a grain of salt.  You're going to have to taste.

Most people find that if they hit the sweet spot for most coffees within  +/- 1.5F (i.e., a range of 3F) that's plenty good enough.  The same "most people" (whomever the heck they are), find that a range of 5F is too much.  Temp surfed (whether reverse or regular), a Silvia without PID operates within an approximately 10F range; and hitting the sweet spot -- even with the best technique in the world -- is as much luck or skill.  

It's going to take you awhile before you develop your palate to the point where you can make reliable and accurate adjustments.  At first, you'll probably be unsure about what you're tasting and what adjustments you should make.  Even when you get it right, there'll be some doubt and you'll wonder if you should keep tweaking. Be patient.  Your confidence will improve with your sophistication.  

Most people find that bracketing is the most efficient method for dialing in. Always make adjustments large enough so that you can taste them.  Your first adjustment shouldn't be smaller than 6F.  After that, make each successive move smaller.  

The idea is to set up two shots with one definitely too sour, and the other definitely too bitter; then two shots where one is a little too sour and the other a little too bitter; then, split the difference.  Remember that if you're within +/- 1.5F of ideal, you're home.

You don't need to drink an entire shot to know if its been brewed too hot, too cold, or Goldilock's.  Pull the shot, mix it with a spoon (because the top and bottom won't taste alike), and taste a spoonful for bitter/sour.  A spoonful should be enough, but if you need another take another.  That's enough. Clear your palate between shots with water, or -- better yet -- plain soda water.

I've been doing this for a long time, taken classes, have a very responsive but stable machine, taught dozens of people how to dial in, yadda yadda.  It takes me at least three or four shots before I have temp, dose, and grind dialed in.  More if the equipment is unfamiliar.  It's probably going to take you a lot more runs at it for awhile.  

Be patient.  Bracket.  

Use LOTS of coffee, and LOTS of water.  You're not wasting, you're learning.  Learning to taste is the essence of making and enjoying good espresso.  You're not wasting, you're enhancing.

BDL
Burner0000

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 8:39am

boar_d_laze Said:

Too hot makes it bitter.  Too cold makes it sour.  When I temp, I have to remind myself every time: "Beverly Hills Southern California; bitter hot sour cold," or I forget.  You're probably smarter.  

Helen (coffeenoob) is right.  You have to "dial-in" temp for every coffee using your palate.  Everyone else is wrong.

Very light roasts, lighter than City, will tend to be "acidy," which can be interpreted as sour (and usually is actually sour, if you ask me), but that's the roast not the temp.  You can't adjust for inherent sourness by brewing the coffee hotter than the temp at which sours and bitters balance.  

The same is true for coffee roasted beyond Full City plus, i.e., they're inherently bitter (like burnt caramel), but brewing colder won't help -- any more than throwing vinegar into overcooked butterscotch would help that.    

Most coffees will do best somewhere in the 198 - 202F range.  But "most" is not all and neither is it "the vast majority."  You're going to have to taste.  199 - 200F is a good guess, though.  

It's likely that even after Mickey Mousing around with the offset adjustment for your PID, it won't read quite the same as an SCAA standard Scace Device -- so, unless you rent a Scace and calibrate your PID accordingly -- take all temps with a grain of salt.  You're going to have to taste.

Most people find that if they hit the sweet spot for most coffees within  +/- 1.5F (i.e., a range of 3F) that's plenty good enough.  The same "most people" (whomever the heck they are), find that a range of 5F is too much.  Temp surfed (whether reverse or regular), a Silvia without PID operates within an approximately 10F range; and hitting the sweet spot -- even with the best technique in the world -- is as much luck or skill.  

It's going to take you awhile before you develop your palate to the point where you can make reliable and accurate adjustments.  At first, you'll probably be unsure about what you're tasting and what adjustments you should make.  Even when you get it right, there'll be some doubt and you'll wonder if you should keep tweaking. Be patient.  Your confidence will improve with your sophistication.  

Most people find that bracketing is the most efficient method for dialing in. Always make adjustments large enough so that you can taste them.  If your first cup is too sour, adjust the PID up by not less than five or six degrees.  Then, make each successive move smaller.  

You don't need to drink an entire shot to know if its been brewed too hot, too cold, or Goldilock's.  Pull the shot, mix it with a spoon (because the top and bottom won't taste alike), and taste a spoonful.  That's enough. Clear your palate between shots with water, or -- better yet -- plain soda water.

I've been doing this for a long time, taken classes, have a very responsive but stable machine, taught dozens of people how to dial in, yadda yadda.  It takes me at least three or four shots before I have temp, dose, and grind dialed in.  More if the equipment is unfamiliar.  It's going to take you more than that for awhile.  

Be patient.  Bracket.  

Use LOTS of coffee, and lots of water.  You're not wasting, you're learning.  

Learning to taste is the essence of making and enjoying good espresso.  You're not wasting, you're enhancing.

BDL

Posted January 23, 2014 link

Cool Thx BDL.  I got the "Lots of coffee" covered.  500g to mess with.
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 9:14pm

There is a bit of Catch-22 where you are at with temping your machine. Until you can consistently pull shot after shot at 200F, you can't try a couple degrees warmer or cooler to compare (to what...?). Start with 200F, and rarely will you want or need to go beyond 197F or 203F.   Most 'temp surfing' will seldom hit this target.
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > How to know what...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.274921894073)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+