Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Coffee bean question..
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Coffee bean...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bossman

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivladi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Soon I hope
Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013, 2:49pm
Subject: Coffee bean question..

Ok I am new to espresso, but I am now spoiled.  I bought a Nespresso machine a couple weeks back and very quickly realized it would cost me WAY too much to drink espresso like I do using the Nespresso even though it was really easy to use.  So I returned it and my phillips Saeco Vienna plus is waiting on my doorstep at home.  I know a lot of true espresso people will probably consider both the Nespresso and the superautomatic inferior and I am sure they are, but I am just starting.

Anyway, to my question, along with my new machine on my porch so is my 2lb bag of Lavazza beans and 2 cans of Illy, and it's about 10-15 degrees out.  I won't be home for a few hours so they are surely going to be frozen.  I have recently learned that freezing coffee beans is bad thing.  So my question is, since I have a bag of freshly roasted beans from a local roaster that I want to try first, should I should pop the Lavazza and Illy in the deep freeze?  Or should I put them in the pantry since they are vaccum sealed?

I know now that I should not buy so much at a time, but I wanted to try some different beans, ugh.
 View Profile Link to this post
Skylar

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Tue Dec 10, 2013, 3:16pm
Subject: Re: Coffee bean question..

Use your fresh roast. The freezer thing is not a question for some folks here especially if you have a real deep freezer. Many will take advantage of bulk (i. e. )  five pounds of coffee for a good price, divide it into smaller increments and store in a deep freeze or if not available a refrigerator freezer. Some use glass jars and some freezer bags.

I do not know if the bagged Lavazza or Illy are candidates for freezing. Frankly you can reasonably assume they are as over the hill as Madonna (sorry ex-material girl). Those commercial beans were roasted in the way-back when, and despite the "advances" of coffee science, I doubt they are a patch on recent roast in the hands of a decent local roaster.

As to your new machine I hope it is all you desire.

Sky
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Dec 11, 2013, 4:49am

Hi, welcome the board.
Done properly freezing is not a bad thing, in fact it can extend the useful life of fresh roast but I doubt that there will be any affect one way or the other on those stale beans. Drink your fresh beans and use the stale ones to break in a grinder or something.
Did you buy them or were a ... Freebee for buying the machine?
Fresh is. Less than two weeks from the day they were roasted, freezing in small bags and letting them warm to room temp before opening is proper as this prevents moisture forming on them. Once opened do not freeze again and use them up in a few days.

If you bought them, you are not the first one to fall for the big name stale beans and you will not be the last either!  Give them a try if you want, you will see why we say use fresh :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Nurk2
Nurk2

Espresso: Gaggio Classic
Grinder: Gaggio MDF
Drip: French Press
Posted Wed Dec 11, 2013, 6:12am

Use what you've got until you get something else, but look at the recommendations on this board and others for good ideas for roasters. Some favorites are Red Bird, Klatch, Counter Culture, Metropolis, Intelligensia, etc. These people roast and ship in the same day.

Order today. You're going to get beans that are two days past roast, and you will be able to experiment with them as they mature over the course of the week - then they will be gone and you will want more fresh beans.

You're not going to believe the difference that fresh premium beans make. It's night and day. It's black and white. It's cats and dogs.

If it sounds good, it is good.
~ Duke Ellington

If you sound bad on Squire through a Peavey Bandit, you're not going to sound good on a PRS through a Badcat.

www.danskidmore.com
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Dec 11, 2013, 7:06am

as above...

The Illy and Lavazza beans are going to smell and taste great when you first open the package.  In fact, you'll probably be wondering what everyone here is smoking to come up with the replies you've gotten.  However, the next day, those beans will have degraded significantly, because, as mentioned already, they actually are stale.  There's something about the Illy can (and any good packaging) that keeps beans in some shape that makes them useable right when the package is opened.  Within a couple of days, you'll be wondering why you can't get a decent shot...and the answer will be...because the beans are stale.

Now, the next point is...since you will be using a superautomatic machine, you will have little control over the process and results. The fact that you're coming from a Nespresso suggests that you won't necessarily notice the bean problem.  Well, that is, until you get used to using high quality (not necessarily expensive) fresh beans. However, as mentioned above, there is a night and day difference between stale and fresh coffee...especially when it comes to espresso.  So, once you switch and get used to the best your machine has to offer, you will definitely notice a difference. Think of it like being used to chain fast food hamburgers, and then switching to high end meat from a specialized local burger joint...you just can't go back. Now ask yourself, would you rather have remained ignorant that the fast food burgers weren't very good at all, or would you be thankful that someone opened your eyes to the world of great burgers?  If your answer is the latter, then perhaps consider the following suggestion. Return the Saeco...do some reading here...maybe buy yourself a Gaggia Classic or a MyPressi Twist.  Of course, you'd need a grinder to go with that, but while you save up, you could get a Hario Skerton or other manual powered one to hold you over.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 8:33am

You know itís human and good to try something new with your new machine and a 2 lb. bag of Lavazza beans and 2 cans of Illy. However, it seems you want something different and have another bag of freshly roasted beans. Why not give the other beans as a gift for Christmas... Anyway, you have it already so just keep it in a freezer but if possible just a couple of days.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Dec 24, 2013, 10:46am

Please see the thread of gifts that should not be gifted LOL!
"Coffee Gifts Better Not Gifted"

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
stayingawhile
stayingawhile

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Hario Ceramic Slim
Drip: Chemex and V60
Posted Fri Jan 10, 2014, 7:29am

OK - I wondered why when I opened those cans they always smelt so good and then I quickly got disappointed!
billisabrewer

Espresso: Breville BES830XL
Grinder: Gaggia MDF Dosser
Drip: Bunn commercial
Roaster: Popcorn AIR
Posted Mon Jan 13, 2014, 1:21am

I know that you wanted to try several brands but more important is that the brands be fresh roasted.  Find a local experienced roaster and you will not find anything better.  Most good roasters know what beans to select for the type of brew you are after.  Regardless of brand it is the beans selected and the best roast method as well as the roasters skill that determines the outcome.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Coffee bean...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.378396987915)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+