Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Confused! Coffee Expresso
SR500 Home Coffee Roaster
Ships with five pounds of beans you get to choose.
coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Confused! Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
kieranbean

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 1:18pm
Subject: Re: Confused! Coffee Expresso

Sorry yes I meant I do not have a coffee grinder. I am purchasing one.

I may sound daft here. Click Here (www.amazon.co.uk) - I purchased this. I can use this on a espresso machine right? I am assuming its the right stuff considering it has espresso on it.

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 1:31pm

No, a real espresso machine requires fresh roasted coffee beans, and an espresso capable grinder (minimum of $300 and up for an electric one), and beans ground right before use. Preground stale coffee on an espresso machine will = a gusher spraying shot of pry 2-3oz in about 10-15 seconds, will taste awful lol. as an example on my setup I pull about 1.75-2oz in around 30 seconds or so timed from 1st drip after preinfusion.

On a entry level starter machine with a pressurized portafilter you can get away with preground, but that's not espresso, and it will still taste bad.

If you using Moka, that's not espresso but Moka style (I love Moka coffee too). I would buy a grinder though and get fresh roasted beans, Illy sells stale beans and nasty pre-ground coffee and they charge an arm and leg for it. There are cheap hand grinders if your budget is tight. Fresh ground coffee makes a massive difference. A $100 machine with fresh coffee will taste better than a $5,000 machine using stale preground.
kieranbean

Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 1:39pm

Yeah,

I understand and have now purchased a grinder will head into town to buy some coffee beans next week. My question is, the coffee Click Here (www.amazon.co.uk) is the correct one? I know you said beans are the correct one. I mean, if I was of those people who prefer ready grounds instead.

Is this the correct product?

(New to espresso)
ilcaffedio

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Astra G.A.
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 2:52pm

kieranbean Said:

Yeah,

I understand and have now purchased a grinder will head into town to buy some coffee beans next week. My question is, the coffee Click Here (www.amazon.co.uk) is the correct one? I know you said beans are the correct one. I mean, if I was of those people who prefer ready grounds instead.

(New to espresso)

Posted January 4, 2014 link

Nope, that is the wrong product.

These are the right ones (you use them together):
Click Here (www.amazon.co.uk)
If you're in Scotland use this http://www.artisanroast.co.uk/collections/coffee
If you're in Australia use this http://perthcoffeeroasters.com.au/beans/
kieranbean

Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 3:00pm

I don't think you are reading my question right.

However I've read the packaging it is the right product. You can use the following product (which I mentioned) on Espresso machines. However its commonly  known that you use fresh beans which I will purchase next week.

The ground stuff can do until later :)
ilcaffedio

Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 3:03pm

kieranbean Said:

I don't think you are reading my question right.

No, you're not reading the advice right; and I took the opportunity for humor. :-)
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 3:05pm

kieranbean Said:

Yeah,

(New to espresso)

Nobody prefers preground to whole bean :) or at least once they have fresh coffee. That'd be like somebody prefering a McDs burger over a Wagyu beef burger. You can't use preground in an espresso machine at all, well you can.... cept' what you end up with is a gusher of a shot that taste horrible, espresso process magnifies everything (flavor etc) including faults (which in this case would be stale coffee), so that preground coffee that some might get away with as drip will be horrid if made in an espresso machine since all the nasty burnt/stale flavors will be magnified.

What grinder did you buy? And what espresso machine are you using? As you've only mentioned Moka, and Moka pots don't make espresso. Not sure if your confusing espresso with "espresso beans"?? You don't have to use espresso beans, that's just a marketing tactic, you can use any single origin or blend you want for espresso, some just label products espresso blends which are sometimes blended and roasted for what the roaster thinks is good for espresso (not all the time).

This is getting confusing lol, not sure if it's a language barrier? No matter what Illy says, you can't use preground on any espresso machine period, unless you want a shot of something that has no real crema, doesn't look or taste anything like espresso and will pry make you want to gag.
kieranbean

Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 3:06pm

I haven't read the advice right?

Two others have commented on this suggesting coffee bean grinder, which I have now ordered. - I am taking advice. I am not looking for humour I was just speaking to experts who happens to have been drinking espresso for years.

The product Click Here (www.amazon.co.uk) is the right one for a espresso machine (bar fresh beans)
kieranbean

Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 3:08pm

Yep.

Slightly confusing as I've said. I'm new to making espressos.
ilcaffedio

Posted Sat Jan 4, 2014, 3:23pm

kieranbean Said:

I haven't read the advice right?

Two others have commented on this suggesting coffee bean grinder, which I have now ordered. - I am taking advice. I am not looking for humour I was just speaking to experts who happens to have been drinking espresso for years.

The product Click Here (www.amazon.co.uk) is the right one for a espresso machine (bar fresh beans)

As for 'experts', I don't know who told you to use Illy.  I have been making, and drinking expresso for over 10 years, and there are others on this forum who trump that.   Coffeegeek, and Home-Barista.com are where you should get your advice on this matter.    In case it wasn't explained earlier (I think it was), I'll give it to you straight: Illy is terrible.  Dr. Illy's book is a good read, but I'm sure it tastes horrible brewed as espresso.  Buy fresher beans, I gave you two links, and there are plenty others.  It sounds like you're in the UK, try Square Mile.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Confused! Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.294860839844)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+