Espresso: General Discussion
Espresso/Pour Over Hard Water Solution?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Espresso/Pour...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
JerDGold

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Breville...
Drip: Chemex
Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 8:56am
Subject: Espresso/Pour Over Hard Water Solution?

My water is horrible.  Not only does it taste terrible, but is super hard.  What do people use for water filters to keep their equipment clean and their coffee delicious?
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 10:02am
Subject: Re: Espresso/Pour Over Hard Water Solution?

I use the filter that's in my refrigerator.  It's made by Pur.  I've tasted water from the ZeroWater filter, and it's very clean. You fill it from your tap and then store it in your refrigerator.  periodically, you test the water with their special device and change the filter when indicated.

What you choose to do depends a lot on how much work you want to do and how much money you want to spend. A couple hundred bucks will get you a nice undercounter setup. The Zerowater pitcher is something like $50 (iirc).  Short of filtering the water for your entire house, you could go as elaborate as installing an in series filter system under your sink (check out Chris' Coffee Service or Espressoparts for starters) along with a tap coming out of the counter (you can get a whole kit at Lowe's or Home Depot), or as simple as the ZeroWater pitcher mentioned above. I don't think the Brita pitcher does much to change water hardness/mineral content.  Given my test results with the Pur refrigerator cartridge, I suspect their pitcher might work, but I don't really know if they use the same technology in it or if it does anything more than the Brita one.

In any case, I highly recommend buying a water test kit that reads by GH and KH from an aquarium supply shop. I got mine online from a site called Aquacave for less than $10, and there's enough reagent in there to run 100 tests. Of course, there are many other sources, perhaps even down the street from your house. You simply fill the small test tube with source water then add drops of reagent until the water changes color, then read the hardness on the chart provided.  You should use this to periodically test the water you end up drinking/using in your coffee.

oh and read Jim Schulman's insanely long water FAQ.  It's easy to find via google.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
JerDGold

Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 10:39am

emradguy Said:

oh and read Jim Schulman's insanely long water FAQ.  It's easy to find via google.

Posted December 16, 2013 link

That IS insanely long...bookmarked.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 10:46am

We would need more information to offer the best method. Like, do you own the home or are you a renter? How do you make coffee and what other needs are there for treated water? What budget do you have? Brita filters soften, others use the Zerowater, there are under-sink softening systems, counter-top systems, all the way to whole house reverse osmosis and softening systems.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JerDGold

Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 12:20pm

I wouldnt want to spend...at the most...$100 but If I could keep it around 50-75 thatd be awesome.  BB&B would be ideal because I have all those 20% off coupons.  Something I can fill for my fridge...I'm just not sure if the Brita, Pur, ZeroWater or what else works the best is I guess my question.  I'm a renter...
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 12:42pm

s I have read, Pur does not soften, Brita does (or at least use to). Thrift stores have Brita pitchers and the filters are available at Costco. Shouldn't cost much to give it a try.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
Burner0000

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 1:43pm

I use a Brita at home and they don't soften. Well it does a but by removing carbon from the water but even with a new filter I still get scale build up.  I just went ahead and installed a large softener to stop scale all around the house.  Because your a renter your only 2 options would be to install a small softener under the sink or get a Zero water tank.  23 cup model last I saw only cost $40 and will reduce your ppm (hardness) down to almost nothing.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
JerDGold

Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 4:04pm

Ok, went with the 23 cups ZeroWater.  I can taste a VERY clear difference between my filtered and tap water.  I was actually quite surprised. 39.99 -20% at BB&B.
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 5:08pm

JerDGold Said:

Ok, went with the 23 cups ZeroWater.  I can taste a VERY clear difference between my filtered and tap water.  I was actually quite surprised. 39.99 -20% at BB&B.

Posted December 16, 2013 link

Remember to add tap water to bring your TDS up to the recommended range (around 50 PPM IIRC).
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/questions/435208

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
JerDGold

Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013, 11:27pm

That is very interesting. I'm going to have to do some testing with this...it seems to contrary to logic.  I find the ZeroWater water to be quite delicious. Bookmarked for further study.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Espresso/Pour...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.287643909454)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+