Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Coffee grounds backing up drain
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Coffee grounds...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Nov 13, 2013, 3:27am
Subject: Re: Coffee grounds backing up drain

Cafiza is good to remove coffee grunge in the espresso machine and coffee pots. There is no assurance using this stuff especially if coffee grounds are stocking. Since you are doing intentionally to clog up, look for other means such as make some repair in your piping to solve this problem.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Nurk2
Nurk2

Espresso: Gaggio Classic
Grinder: Gaggio MDF
Drip: French Press
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 6:03am

goofymd Said:

a sort of funny story:  after having the plumber out to my house three unusually expensive times  (when we built an outdoor kitchen, the contractor put  the grill and counter over the plumbers access spot on the outer wall. )  they found a black slug , which I knew could not be coffee because 5-6 years ago (when I could get a snake in the outside access (or what ever it is really called) and found the coffee grounds I was putting down the disposal.  Know that with strict orders, no one in my family was doing this anymore.  my wife was telling the cleaners not to put anything down the disposal anymore.  the cleaning lady was replying     " yes, yes. I no throw anything down ."  at that moment,  my wife looked over her shoulder to see her emptying the knock box in the sink.  

oh well.  i was wondering, would pouring a bunch of Cafiza down the sink help?

Posted November 8, 2013 link

I'm at a bit of a loss. Why wouldn't NOT putting grounds down the drain prevent the grounds from clogging the plumbing? If your "cleaning woman" is the only person doing this, the obvious solution is to ask her to stop doing that, please.

Why bother wondering about the efficacy of chemicals - which were designed for a completely different purpose - in solving this problem?

If it sounds good, it is good.
~ Duke Ellington

If you sound bad on Squire through a Peavey Bandit, you're not going to sound good on a PRS through a Badcat.

www.danskidmore.com
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 6:14am

I've put coffee grounds down the drain for years, no problem, go fig? Even had a plumber out when we redid the sinks and he checked the pipes and said they were good. Must be odd or non efficient piping (tons of bends) to get clogged up with the amount of grounds even the avg coffeegeek goes through at home.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 8:39am

Pardon the example but, uh, much more ....... solid forms of things go down the plumbing all the time from the "throne room". Coffee should break into a loose particulate slurry at the worst and into very fluid particles as the water breaks the grounds up into the smallest units possible, the single ground particle of coffee. That should easily move through the plumbing.

I don't put anything down the drain that does not need to go there. We are on a septic tank and when full, it needs to be pumped out so by not using the disposer in the sink and not putting grounds in the sink, I can prolong the time it takes to fill the tank.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Nurk2
Nurk2

Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013, 8:56am

calblacksmith Said:

Pardon the example but, uh, much more ....... solid forms of things go down the plumbing all the time from the "throne room". Coffee should break into a loose particulate slurry at the worst and into very fluid particles as the water breaks the grounds up into the smallest units possible, the single ground particle of coffee. That should easily move through the plumbing.

Posted November 14, 2013 link

Sure, but the "much more solid things" really aren't so "solid" after a short period of time. I'd liken pouring coffee grounds down the drain to be more akin to dumping sand down the drain. This is why you don't want it in your septic tank. Sure - most of it will wash away no prob because it's really small.

But the stuff that doesn't wash away will not dissolve like normal waste. It will just be wherever it is, accumulating. Day after day. Week after week. Month after month. There's a pound of coffee. There's another pound of coffee, and there's another pound. Down the drain. Add some everyday kitchen grease to the mix and eventually you're dealing with a Roto-Rooter bill. It's just a matter of time.

And for what? Honestly, I can't think of a single good reason for washing coffee down the drain rather than dumping it in the trash. In my kitchen I have BOTH a drain and a trash can. I imagine most people do!

~ Duke Ellington

If you sound bad on Squire through a Peavey Bandit, you're not going to sound good on a PRS through a Badcat.

www.danskidmore.com
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Nov 15, 2013, 7:09am

If the flow of water is proper in the drain, they won't build up but will be flushed from the line, they never will get the chance to grow into a larger mass. The particles are small, they should be easily carried by the water flow to the sewer or septic tank, whichever you are connected to.

There is no reason to put them in the drain lines anyway though so we SHOULD only be talking about crumbs, not pucks.

YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Nurk2
Nurk2

Posted Fri Nov 15, 2013, 9:27am

calblacksmith Said:

If the flow of water is proper in the drain, they won't build up but will be flushed from the line, they never will get the chance to grow into a larger mass. The particles are small, they should be easily carried by the water flow to the sewer or septic tank, whichever you are connected to.

There is no reason to put them in the drain lines anyway though so we SHOULD only be talking about crumbs, not pucks.

YMMV!

Posted November 15, 2013 link

I'm with you.

I live in Syracuse NY. Practically our entire sewer system (400+ miles of sewer) was put in place before 1930 (not a typo). Sure I wash a few grounds down the drain every day, but that's only after I've dumped almost all of it into the trash. Again, I don't see any reason not to, and it seems the obvious solution to the OP's problem.

8^D

~ Duke Ellington

www.danskidmore.com
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Fri Nov 15, 2013, 10:51am

I have an arrangement with a friend who gardens - she gets all our coffee grounds for her compost, we get fresh, organically grown fruits and vegetables. If we ever generate more grounds than she can handle, there are lots of local community gardens.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Nov 17, 2013, 7:06am

Maybe its that I built houses for three years,maybe it was three years of underground construction,maybe it was not being able to snake a small plastic comb out of
one of our toilets years ago which required me to remove it to get it out,I dont know but coffee grinds down a drain has always been the least of my worries.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
OregonCityMan
OregonCityMan

Espresso: Salvatore SES Semi
Grinder: Ascaso I-2 mini
Roaster: Torrefattore 1KG, DIY 1/2lb
Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 9:57pm

If you are on a septic system, coffee grounds are not advisable:

Coffee grounds, egg shells, grease, fats, and oils in
the septic tank cause additional build up of sludge and
scum, requiring the tank to be pumped more frequently.

I throw my coffee pucks away in cold weather, as it's too cold in the North West to go outside. In warm weather, throw them in your garden. Worms love coffee grounds.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Coffee grounds...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.322429895401)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+