Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Bacteria in espresso machine reservoir
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Bacteria in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Macuhail

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Nov 11, 2013, 8:44am
Subject: Bacteria in espresso machine reservoir

There is a new experiment here: Click Here (openexperiment.com) testing for bacteria in an espresso machine. Apparently he found a fair amount of bacteria in the machine's reservoir and some in the water pitcher used to fill the tank. Fortunately, it appears that the bacteria was killed in the boiler - no bacteria was found in water from the group.

I have wondered about bacteria in my machine and in commercial machines in particular. Does anyone know if we need to have a concern about this or will any potentially harmful bacteria be killed before it goes into the coffee?
 View Profile Link to this post
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Nov 11, 2013, 9:34am
Subject: Re: Bacteria in espresso machine reservoir

Don't think anyone has died yet, or even got ill. Try washing your tank weekly.
Macuhail

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Nov 11, 2013, 9:43am

That is pretty much my thought. As far as I know I've never gotten food poisoning from espresso or lattes. However, we often don't know why we may have an "upset stomach".
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Nov 11, 2013, 9:46am

I guess the reservoir does have ideal conditions for bacterial growth, because the water gets warm and comfy from a microbial point of view, albeit there isn't much nutrient. That's why I would recomment to exchange the water at least after a few days and clean the tank weekly. However, tap water in first world countries or bottled water contains hardly any germs at all, and once the water has been heated for brewing or steaming, most of the bacteria that stem from contamination will have been sterilized by the heat. So it's usually not hazardous to your health.

The milk frothing units of superautomatics are much more prone to microbiological colonization and need to be taken care of meticulously.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Nov 11, 2013, 11:54am

This just added to the list of reasons why I shouldn't upgrade past the Silvia.  I'm the only drinker and I use my Silvia for hot water so I run the tank dry in 3-5 days.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Nov 11, 2013, 1:50pm

Macuhail Said:

Apparently he found a fair amount of bacteria in the machine's reservoir and some in the water pitcher used to fill the tank. Fortunately, it appears that the bacteria was killed in the boiler - no bacteria was found in water from the group.

I have wondered about bacteria in my machine and in commercial machines in particular. Does anyone know if we need to have a concern about this or will any potentially harmful bacteria be killed before it goes into the coffee?

Posted November 11, 2013 link

As expected.   Good to see someone confirming the fact that temperatures above 140F still kills all bacteria...

Microbe                                                                                                           Killed Rapidly At
Worms, Protozoa cysts (Giardia, Cryptosporidium, Entamoeba)                   55C (131F)
Bacteria (V. cholerae, E. coli, Shigella, Salmonella typhi), Rotavirus             60C (140F)
Hepatitis A virus                                                                               65C (149F)

(Significant inactivation of these microbes actually starts at about 5C (9F) below these temperatures, although it may take a couple of minutes at the lower temperature to obtain 90 percent inactivation.)

I still would suggest cleaning your reservoir regularly every few weeks to prevent slime, mildew and scale, as these things affect the taste of water, regardless of it being pasteurized.  Plus it's pretty disgusting.
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon Nov 11, 2013, 2:18pm

Do you ever eat in a restaurant? Turn a door knob in a store or other public place? Use a public restroom? I would have to say that bacteria in an espresso machine's reservoir rates fairly low compared to those examples.  (IMO) Our fear of bacterium and use of antibacterial cleaners and the occurrence of resistant strains of some very serious disease-causing microbes is no coincidence. If people can drink coffee made from beans that came out of the rectum of a mammal, the water in the reservoir should be OK.   ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Nov 11, 2013, 10:52pm

frcn Said:

If people can drink coffee made from beans that came out of the rectum of a mammal, the water in the reservoir should be OK.   ;-)

Posted November 11, 2013 link

ROFLMAO

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013, 7:24am

Dont rely that bad bacteria can be killed in boiling water. It is safe to prevent bacteria to come in your espresso machine. The boiled water can kill anything but let us come down in weighing the risks. To be sure, clean the machine reservoir three times a week.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013, 11:30am

CoffeeLoversMag Said:

Dont rely that bad bacteria can be killed in boiling water.

Posted November 19, 2013 link

Sure, it is a good idea to clean the reservoir once in a while, but the boiler is more than just a container of boiling water. It is in actuality a pressure cooker from the point of view of the bacteria. if there is bacteria in your home that is not killed off in the boiler of an espresso machine, there are other serious factors that need to be addressed:
- don't store raw meat on top of the machine
- relocate the cat litter box
- in a commercial setting, if you are running a morgue, stringent hand-washing procedures must be put into place immediately
- post a sign on the machine: "THIS IS NOT A URINAL"

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Bacteria in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.296019077301)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+