Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Beginner Extractions
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Beginner...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 7:01pm
Subject: Re: Beginner Extractions

They last 3-5 years.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 7:53am

branmuffin17 Said:

Hey Wayne,

I read in one of your replies to a different post that you really like the Klatch Belle and WBC blends...I just got some Belle and am liking the flavor a lot.  Had the Klatch House Espresso (not the Organic FT House Espresso), and it was okay, but definitely like Belle better.

What is it about Belle and WBC that you like?  I'm thinking I'll probably stay with the Belle for a while, but might be interested in trying WBC...still also want to try Velton's Bonsai Blend sometime too.

Posted October 29, 2013 link

Sorry for the long time for the reply, I have been VERY busy at work and not much time for coffee other than drinking it.
Simply put, I like the flavor profile more. I tend to favor the chocolate and cocoa notes in espresso VS the floral notes. That goes for brewed coffee too which is why I like a good Sumatra, great stuff.

I NEVER cared for FTO, I really don't know why, other than to me, it just tastes nasty and gross, hard to put it any other way.

Again, sorry for the long time between your post and my reply!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 8:00am

Vibe pumps do not last as long as a rotary.
Vibe pumps are not a big expense item though.

Ya know, you have my phone number, give me a call for help, I don't mind. Heck, I have a vibe pump just laying around from my Sylvia rebuild when I replaced the pump just because I had a new one not that there was anything wrong with the old one.

If you have not ordered the pump yet, you can have this one. I was going to sell it but then thought, "heck it will be more trouble than it is worth"
Vibe pumps are pretty much all the same.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

tglodjo
tglodjo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 8:02am

calblacksmith Said:

Vibe pumps do not last as long as a rotary.
Vibe pumps are not a big expense item though.

Posted November 4, 2013 link

Maybe that's what I was referring to...It was something I read on S1Cafe regarding the differences between vibe and rotary in the Mini and Vivaldi. Forgive my slip of the memory thinking the vibe lasted longer than the rotary. I think the point was that it was cheaper to replace when it stops working properly. Thanks for the clarification.
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 8:25am

Just to throw a monkey wrench into the works, my Silvia May 2001's vibe pump is still going strong! :D

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 9:33am

Craig,
Nothing says they HAVE to fail quickly :D

The one I pulled seems to be working fine, I just had a new one so what the heck.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

branmuffin17
branmuffin17

Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 12:38pm

Hey everyone,

So some quick updates...thanks Wayne for the bean feedback.  When my wife and I were drinking regular coffee, we were always going Sumatra (though it was Starbucks, so it probably doesn't count).  I'm REALLY liking the Belle...well, when I can drink it, that is.

The back of my machine is out and ready for the pump to be replaced.  According to the Chris Coffee tech, he says he's seen vibe pumps die anytime from 6 months to 6+ years, but that it's not that uncommon.  It cost me $50 from their website...guess I should have called you, Wayne...but this new one should hopefully last a while!  Hope I can figure out how to do the switcheroo...I might be calling you =)  Reason I don't call you is because I don't want to be a bother, and because I don't know when you go to sleep...I know you get up early in the morning, so don't want to call if you're already possibly asleep!

Also got the little shims from Baratza, for the loose levers on the Vario, and put them in this morning...the levers are definitely tighter now, so I shouldn't have any slippage.  It was funny...the pieces were just stuck to a post-it note's sticky side...almost thought I lost the piece somewhere, then realized those two little dots were actually the pieces!

Hope to have some coffee tonight...I was dying for a cup all weekend.  Had to take a trip to Kean on Sunday, and I think I like my capp better than theirs already.  Probably the bean more than anything, as I like the Belle over their espresso roast.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 1:18pm

No problem. FYI bed time most nights is 9 pm. Up at 3 am start work at 6am
You have had it now, when you go to Kean for coffee and you like yours better...  you are in the deep end of the pool my friend ;D

Better take your self ranking of geek up a peg or two LOL

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

branmuffin17
branmuffin17

Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 12:32am

Big thanks to Wayne...as a continuing noob, I installed the new vibe pump, but then tested by priming the pump before fully turning on the machine...no water flow through the grouphead.  Started to freak out internally (wife was around, so had to act like nothing was wrong lol...she's so tired of me fiddling with the machine already!).

Wayne was so kind as to take my call and tell me what was happening.  As a vibration pump, the vibration is essentially a quick expanding and contracting of a diaphragm, but if there's an air pocket/bubble inside, it may hang up the system.  So he suggested I find something to help push water through the pump to get rid of the air...something like a turkey baster.  Unfortunately, I didn't have one, so I looked around and rigged my own...took my baby's old snot sucker tube, and combined it with a medicine syringe (also for baby)...used the syringe to push the water, and voila!  Working!

Tested it out, and everything seems like it's all back to normal...hooray!  Thanks again, Wayne.  You da man.  But this experience tells me to keep my ranking exactly where it is =P
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 6:34am

LOL, yes that will work too, I just hope it was......  well cleaned YUCK ! LOL!
Glad to help.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Beginner...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.364720106125)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+