Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
How do you drink your coffee?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > How do you drink...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
badmajon

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 6:01am
Subject: How do you drink your coffee?

Do you drink your coffee in the morning? What about at night? Before breakfast? After breakfast? Before dinner? After dinner? How many?

I usually drink a couple of lattes in the morning before work over about half an hour.

What about you? Now that I've switched from drip brewed to espresso based coffee, I'm curious to know other's drinking habits. I love my coffee, my only complaint is that I can't really linger on the coffee as long as I used to since I'm drinking less volume for about the same weight of beans. I used to drink 4 cups over 30-40 minutes and now I'm down to 2.
 View Profile Link to this post
BonsaiDoug

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Roaster: FreshRoast SR500
Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 9:54am
Subject: Re: How do you drink your coffee?

For me... 2-3 pour-overs in the morning (hi test), 1-2 double shots of espresso after my main meal at noon-ish, then a cup  or two of decaf in the evening.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Nov 2, 2013, 10:46am

I get the lingering thing, I never did it with coffee, I was a tea drinker before espresso. With the espresso being more controlled and never having to sit and wait for it to get cool enough to drink and me making only about 6-7 oz cappa it goes pretty fast. I have two if I can manage only in the mornings.  Rarely one in the afternoon on weekends.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sun Nov 3, 2013, 12:51am

Well, I always have a single double-shot cappuccino in the mornings. If I can't get my morning coffee I get very irritable. I'm not a morning person. Don't ask me what happens when something prevents me from having my coffee. :-)
I usually like to spend at least 10-20 minutes gently slurping and enjoying my coffee, with a scone or croissant before I go to work.

I like to sip on a sweetened up double espresso, an espresso con panna in a conventional espresso cup or an US style Macchiato Latte in the evenings, but no later than 6 PM, otherwise I'm up all night.
I can't drink straight shots without sugar. I tried, I just can't. Some single origin coffees really work well in an US style Macchiato Latte, others not so much. Espresso blends are right out for that purpose.

On the weekends, I usually have two double shot cappuccinos and/or lattes in the very late morning/early afternoon and that keeps me going.

I'd say that overall, I average about a pound of coffee every 1.5 weeks or so.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Sun Nov 3, 2013, 8:27am

Right after breakfast on the way to work.. I drink a double or triple 12 oz Americano. The triple gives me enough kick to last my entire 9.5 hour workday.  Sometimes I might have a second drip in the afternoon.

Right now I'm drinking a beautiful dbl Americano (FC roasted Brazil Fazenda Pulped Natural aged 1 week)
;p
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Nov 3, 2013, 3:23pm

After waking up around 9am, I can't consume anything without my stomach complaining about it.   For some reason my stomach is sensitive after waking up.     Anyone know why? Anyway after about an hour or so, all systems are 'go'.

I usually drink an espresso straight just before lunch.   I usually drink lattes, but since I acquired my Cremina setup,  I've been 'doing' straight shots just before noon.  I found it suppresses my appetite and allows me skip the lunches without any issues. I love the fact that I have reduced my daily calorie in-take to that of one for a healthy weight.  I've slimmed down quite a bit by just going to straight espresso in the morning.

In the afternoon, I will do a coffee run if I'm not too busy and have a nice latte at my favorite spot.  And I will usually have a shot in the evening after dinner (8pm).  This might sound weird, but it helps me sleep.   By the end of the day, much of my energy has been spent but I'm still pretty wired.  That last shot sort of takes me over the edge and I start to get really tired.  By midnight I'm ready to crash.  Is anyone else like this, I wonder...
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sun Nov 3, 2013, 4:30pm

z0mbie Said:

After waking up around 9am, I can't consume anything without my stomach complaining about it.   For some reason my stomach is sensitive after waking up.     Anyone know why?

Posted November 3, 2013 link

Maybe it's the balance of acids inside of your stomach being upset? I find I can't touch a straight shot in the morning. I prefer to drink milk drinks as I find they're easier on my stomach.
Which is odd because Italians believe that milk drinks are absolutely verboten after a meal, especially in the evenings. I don't find that milk drinks upset my stomach at all. If anything,
straight shots do more of a job upsetting my stomach after a meal.

z0mbie Said:

I found it suppresses my appetite and allows me skip the lunches without any issues.

Unfortunately, where I work, all they have is a super-auto which makes horrid coffee, so I don't really have the luxury of finding out if having a straight double before lunch takes away the hunger.
I'm pretty sure that skipping lunch probably isn't healthy for you, but there's nothing that says you can't have a calorie restricted lunch. Ideally, your meals should be largest, middle, smallest from
the start to the end of the day. Although, I admit I have a bad tendency to skip breakfast myself or just have something light because I'm just not a morning person.

z0mbie Said:

And I will usually have a shot in the evening after dinner (8pm).  This might sound weird, but it helps me sleep.

I find that if I have a double shot before I take my 3 hour evening nap, (Which is usually 7 PM to 10 PM) when I wake up I usually stay up until some ungodly hour of the morning.. It's like it gets delayed or something.
My thought is, when I take my nap, my system hasn't had time enough to process the caffeine in the coffee. After I wake up, the caffeine kicks in full blast and results in me staying up.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Thu Nov 7, 2013, 6:35am

I choose to drink cappuccino when Iím in some coffee shops. I used to drink it between meals. When I felt sleepy during work or my mind seems dangling, even an instant coffee is needed to stimulate my mind.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu Nov 7, 2013, 7:27am

A double shot cappuccino for breakfast, an espresso macchiato in the course of the morning, a doppio after lunch and dinner.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
Nurk2
Nurk2

Espresso: Gaggio Classic
Grinder: Gaggio MDF
Drip: French Press
Posted Fri Nov 8, 2013, 6:02am

I needed to pack the truck this morning for an out-of-town thing this weekend. First thing, got the machine fired up and running. Had an espresso (a good one!) before I had had anything else to eat or drink.

Wow.

I think I'm sweating.

If it sounds good, it is good.
~ Duke Ellington

If you sound bad on Squire through a Peavey Bandit, you're not going to sound good on a PRS through a Badcat.

www.danskidmore.com
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > How do you drink...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.297477006912)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+