Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Beginner Extractions
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Beginner...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 7:25am
Subject: Re: Beginner Extractions

Coffeenoobie Said:

That will change, I rarely toss a drink now.  I did a lot more at the start. Even my "bad" ones are ok to drink.  I tossed one this morning but it was a new blend of beans and I was way off on grind.   The 2nd one was not right either but close enough on a week day morning.  Saturday I might have tossed it.  It was plenty drinkable.

Posted October 29, 2013 link

+1...especially if it's going in milk

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
branmuffin17
branmuffin17
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 2:54pm

Hey Wayne,

I read in one of your replies to a different post that you really like the Klatch Belle and WBC blends...I just got some Belle and am liking the flavor a lot.  Had the Klatch House Espresso (not the Organic FT House Espresso), and it was okay, but definitely like Belle better.

What is it about Belle and WBC that you like?  I'm thinking I'll probably stay with the Belle for a while, but might be interested in trying WBC...still also want to try Velton's Bonsai Blend sometime too.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
branmuffin17
branmuffin17

Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013, 10:14am

Oh yes!  Another issue!!!

This time, I think it was my fault...I ordered the Bestcup filter from Chris Coffee and installed it...

(by the way, I can't seem to find an optimal position in the water tank for the filter and mount...there's a stock suction cup as part of the tank, but the angle of the mount's input/output nozzles makes it awkward at best)

...anyway, the instruction booklet was horrible, and didn't mention soaking it first, but I'm sure I should have thought about that in any case.  I've had Pur filters and have always had to do that.

Almost immediately after installation, once the pressure ramped up for extraction, I would lose pressure after a couple of seconds (would drop from 9 to about half that at best) and the noise from the vibratory pump also dropped significantly.  So I also tried this with the regular backflush procedure, as well as unhooking the water softener and trying again.  Still getting the pressure drop.

Called Chris Coffee this morning, and the tech guy said it sounds like there's just air in the vibratory pump, and that I should try to get the air bubbles out by trying to flush water through the system multiple times.  Will have to do that when I get home tonight, but curious if any of you have had this experience, or have any comments on this.  Sounds reasonable to me, but I'm also slightly paranoid that my machine might already be developing bigger issues.

So people, help me out...ease my fears...lie to me, whatever.  Hahaha...
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013, 10:41am

I've used a couple of different "in reservoir" filter, including the one you got from CCS.  I stopped using them for a couple of reasons...1) I found I didn't take the time to test the effectiveness of each cartridge or keep a good schedule, and instead just changed them on an estimate of about how long ago I remembered doing it last, 2) I found it extremely difficult to get the dang unit on and off the suction cup without dislodging it, 3) I had more than one episode of my machine going to safety shut off without warning, because of that dang filter - in fact, one time it's shuddered and then shut off, but the alarm didn't beep (I thought the pump had gone out on me 4) I bought a GH/KH test kit, and found the filtered water from my refrigerator dispenser was actually just fine for my machine, and 5) (regarding an ion exchange resin type that just attached to the line and sunk to the reservoir bottom by gravity) I didn't recharge it often enough.

I highly recommend you pick up a GH/KH test kit and use it to test your water supply.  you may not even need additional filtering (like me).  There are many vendors, including any aquarium shop.  I bought mine online from a site called aquacave...and this is the one I have... Click Here (www.aquacave.com)

A great resource to read about water quality and espresso machines is Jim Schulman's Insanely Long Water FAQ  You should be able to find it quickly by copying and pasting that title into a Google search, or I can email you a pdf of it from my home PC.

branmuffin17
branmuffin17

Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013, 11:14am

I actually did test my water with strips, and the best I was able to approximate based on the visual scale was a hardness of about 7 grains...supposed to be best below 5, right?  I'm just using filtered water from my fridge.

Yeah, thinking down the line that this setup might become more of a pain than anything, but we'll see...I just want everything working properly!

Have a call into Baratza regarding the grinder calibration issues, hopefully will be able to get that straightened out also.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013, 11:43am

The strips aren't very accurate. I really think you'll be better off with the kit, where you actually perform a titration counting drops, then look up the results on a chart.

branmuffin17
branmuffin17

Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013, 8:29pm

Okay, will get a better titration meter for eval soon...

In the meantime, I took video of two situations on the pump issue I'm seeing...going to talk to Chris Coffee tomorrow, but thought I would post in case anyone has any idea...

First link is w/ the backflush disk in the PF/pressurized single basket.  I know when the pressure ramps up, the vibratory pump sound does decrease, but I want to emphasize that the sound is DEFINITELY not the same as the normal functioning...way lower sound, hopefully you can pick it up in the video.  click here

Second link is a crappy, coarse grind (didn't have it dialed in but just wanted to show effect) in the naked PF/double basket...shows it putting full pressure and then cutting out...and repeating the cycle.  click here

I did try what the Chris Coffee tech said to do, which was press the extraction button repeatedly to try to get the (possible) air bubble out...tried it, with quick repeated pushes, with slow repeated pushes, by releasing pressure after buildup w/ backflush and quickly hitting the button again...all to no avail.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPP!!!  Maybe I need Wayne to help fix it...lol!  Though I'm not really laughing inside... =(  I want coffee so bad right now, I'm drinking wine.
branmuffin17
branmuffin17

Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013, 8:30pm

Oh, and found a couple of different posts on forums where people might be seeing the same type of thing I am, though these are old...

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

http://www.s1cafe.com./viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1025

I'm just not smart enough to know what's really being said...
branmuffin17
branmuffin17

Posted Thu Oct 31, 2013, 8:51pm

According to the Chris Coffee techs, it sounds like the vibe pump is dying...so I had to order a new one...should be a simple install, and the machine will be back in business.  *crosses fingers*
tglodjo
tglodjo

Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Nov 1, 2013, 6:03am

branmuffin17 Said:

According to the Chris Coffee techs, it sounds like the vibe pump is dying...so I had to order a new one...should be a simple install, and the machine will be back in business.  *crosses fingers*

Posted October 31, 2013 link

Interesting. Granted, I'm no expert, but in all my reading and research on these forums, I've never seen anything about a vibe pump dying. I've heard of rotary pumps failing, but I thought one plus of the vibe was its longer life span. Good luck on the installation. I'm sure your machine will have a long life with the replacement. (That's the great part about machines in our range - user serviceability).
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Beginner...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.322222948074)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+