Espresso: General Discussion
And so it begins...
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > And so it...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
draku007

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 9:09am
Subject: And so it begins...

After my recent trip to Italy where I was shocked to experience the coffee/espresso religion I decided to take action - I'm picking up my Gaggia Classic machine today and I'm placing an order for Baratza Vario grinder later today so I can have it all ready for the weekend.

This is my first espresso setup and I hope it will last me a while.

I'll be buying the grinder from wholelattelove.com and want to ask you if there is anything else I'll need to get started - any specific coffee, I need espresso cups and my wife want's to get the glass ones (any problem with those VS porcelain?).

I live in the NYC metro area and I was wondering if there is a coffee store where I could take a look at some espresso cups, spoons and pickup some coffee. I'm having hard time finding any local stores other then Bed Bath & Beyond or Williams-Sonoma.

Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 9:14am
Subject: Re: And so it begins...

Third Wave coffee shops usually have their own merchandise, which included some really nice cups. You will probably need a tamper as well. I just dislike the glass ones because they are harder to clean. It also sounds like you'll probably need to do the "OPV" mod on the gaggia classic. Quick google search will help.

I have the same set up as you. albeit, my machine is heavily modded. It's worked out pretty well and it's hard to beat for a beginner setup.
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 11:39am

draku007 Said:

I'll be buying the grinder from wholelattelove.com and want to ask you if there is anything else I'll need to get started - any specific coffee, I need espresso cups and my wife want's to get the glass ones (any problem with those VS porcelain?).

Posted October 29, 2013 link

Tamper, pitcher, shot glasses, towels, etc.  A thermometer may help if you don't trust your sense of touch.  Specific beans all depends on your preference.  As long as they're freshly roasted.

draku007 Said:

I need espresso cups and my wife want's to get the glass ones (any problem with those VS porcelain?).

Posted October 29, 2013 link

Doesn't really matter.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 3:30pm

you want glasses that will hold the heat.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 7:06pm

I loved my Classic and for five years it worked like a dog everyday. Now my daughter uses it. I made great espresso and the shot I use for my logo here is from it.
I never adjusted my OPV and was fine. I just loaded the double basket,tamped to 30 lbs and kept adjusting grind until I was at 30 sec pull for a double.
I backflushed it and cleaned as your supposed to. They have heating elements on the outside of the boiler to avoid corrosion and because its a
smaller boiler it cycles fast. Have fun. I did change the steam wand to the one for the Silvia.

Great coffee
http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/

Read about the classic.
http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.details-gaggia.php
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Skylar

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 7:45pm

You need freshly roasted beans. Roast date on bag should be within a few days of your purchase. NEVER "use by" date. Those beans are stale. You will be terribly frustrated if you try to make a shot with stale beans.

The NY metro area has a goodly number of roasters and coffee shops that offer dependable beans. If you are going to dial in your machine and grinder and do not want to spend a lot of money consider ordering a five pounder of red bird espresso. At that weight it comes with no additional shipping cost. The price is right and I find it dependable and tasty. In warm weather I roast my own but after mid-October to April I usually get a series of five pounders and freeze what I don't quickly use. I know this kind of sounds like an ad, but you will probably be doing a goodly amount of grinding and shot making until you are happy and the price (and the taste) of red bird are both a favorite of a number of people here.

Skylar
draku007

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013, 9:01am

Thank you all for your comments.

So far I have 2 latte and 2 espresso under my belt. I only have 2 months old Starbucks Espresso grounded coffee to play with till my new grinder comes in tomorrow.

I have few questions about the Gaggia Classic machine for the Gaggia owners. I noticed the brewing light goes off just few seconds after I start making espresso and comes right back once I stop. Is that normal?
Also how do you know the right size of your espresso shot? The machine doesn't stop so you have to use your own judgment to figure out when to stop? I don't have espresso cups yet so that becomes a challenge a bit at the moment.

@Skylar I'm from northern NJ. Are you from the area? Where do you buy your coffee?
brianl

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013, 10:04am

yes. you need to use your own judgement. this site has tons of manuals to help with that though. I typically go for about 25grams of espresso in 30 seconds.
sherpakid

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex, Aeropress, Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013, 10:08am

I live in Brooklyn and work in Manhattan. Check out Joe's Pro shop on 21st. between 6th and 7th Ave. in Manhattan. They sell gear at the pro shop - as well as "curate" coffee. You can buy a bag from a selection of roasters and it changes over fairly frequently. I love stopping in there and grabbing a cup of something new or a new espresso.

www.prohibitionspecialtycoffee.com
Nurk2
Nurk2

Espresso: Gaggio Classic
Grinder: Gaggio MDF
Drip: French Press
Posted Thu Oct 31, 2013, 8:11am

draku007 Said:

I have few questions about the Gaggia Classic machine for the Gaggia owners. I noticed the brewing light goes off just few seconds after I start making espresso and comes right back once I stop. Is that normal?

Posted October 30, 2013 link

Yes. You may want to run water through the machine, before you attach the loaded portafilter, until the light goes off. Then attach the portafilter. When the light comes back on, it means that the boiler has reached the end of its heating cycle. That's when I start the brewing.

draku007 Said:

Also how do you know the right size of your espresso shot? The machine doesn't stop so you have to use your own judgment to figure out when to stop? I don't have espresso cups yet so that becomes a challenge a bit at the moment.

There's a lot to that question, and you'd benefit greatly by doing a little research. Fortunately, there's a metric tonne of information about making espresso here:

http://www.home-barista.com/resources.html

draku007 Said:

Where do you buy your coffee?

In addition to your local roasters, you might want to investigate Metropolis, Red Bird, Intelligensia and a number of others who roast and ship.

Check this out:

Click Here (www.thrillist.com)

If it sounds good, it is good.
~ Duke Ellington

If you sound bad on Squire through a Peavey Bandit, you're not going to sound good on a PRS through a Badcat.

www.danskidmore.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > And so it...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.322944164276)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+