Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Is there really a market for good coffee in the USA?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Is there really...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
badmajon

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 5:31am
Subject: Is there really a market for good coffee in the USA?

Like many on here, I sometimes dream of quitting my day job and starting a cafe somewhere in a decent sized city with lots of AM foot traffic... serving only the best espresso based and pourover coffees and freshly baked all natural desserts to go with them.

However, I wonder if hypothetically even if I could save enough cash to open such a venture, would people appreciate it? Would there be a demand? I mean, we're living in a country where most people think 'good coffee' = starbucks.

Thoughts?
 View Profile Link to this post
brianl

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 6:01am
Subject: Re: Is there really a market for good coffee in the USA?

You just need to go to a major city and youll be fine. There are literally hundreds in Chicago and they are always packed.
badmajon

Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 6:13am

The only place I've ever had truly excellent coffee was Flight Coffee in Wellington, NZ. Chicago? I only know The Loop and Gold Coast, Lavazza wasn't bad (on Monroe I think) but not amazing either! The rest of it is Starbucks et al.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 6:44am

In your neighborhood I don't know of any. Head over to Klatch to your east, outstanding coffee, down south a little is Kean and Portola, to your west is Intelly and I know there are others I just can't remember them at the moment.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 6:46am

I'm wondering...have you tried Handsome, Intelligentsia, Klatch (all in the LA area)?  I think there are others in the LA area that are good - check the west coast threads.  I agree with your other response, that the demand for good coffee is there in the larger cities.  In fact, I know people who don't drink coffee because they can't find anything good and don't want to make their own (one of them used to live in LA). The artisan cafes in Houston are packed much of the time.  I don't go very often because I make my own, but there are a few here that are very good, and they're doing well.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
brianl

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 1:14pm

badmajon Said:

The only place I've ever had truly excellent coffee was Flight Coffee in Wellington, NZ. Chicago? I only know The Loop and Gold Coast, Lavazza wasn't bad (on Monroe I think) but not amazing either! The rest of it is Starbucks et al.

Posted October 28, 2013 link

Starbucks and Lavazza were not included in my comment. I would never step foot into either of those. I'm talking metropolis, intelligentsia, bow truss, gaslight, big shoulders, etc.
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 2:04pm

in pasadena, you have the newly opened Copa Vida and Intelligentsia.

Youre only a short freeway drive or gold line train ride away from some of the best coffee in LA.  Some places that come to mind that are fairly close are, Cognoscenti, Demitasse, Intelli, Stumptown, G&B, Dulce, Handsome and others im sure im forgetting.  

if you cant find good coffee in the greater LA area, youre really not trying hard enough
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 3:10pm

badmajon Said:

Chicago? I only know The Loop and Gold Coast, Lavazza wasn't bad (on Monroe I think) but not amazing either! The rest of it is Starbucks et al.

Huh?!?! Chicago is literally covered in roasters/shops that know what their doing. Lavazza isn't near as good as the shops/roasters in Chicago, I rank it with Charbucks for crap coffee lol. Post above has just a few mentioned, Google chicago and you'll find dozens upon dozens upon dozens more (same for your area, just google your area and should find some good places, or Yelp).
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 10:43am

badmajon Said:

Is there really a market for good coffee in the USA?

Absolutely.  There are many good coffee shops out there throughout the country.  Unless I'm traveling to some small town I can generally find good coffee.  It's pretty much a given in just about any major city.

That said, the specific market you're considering may require some education and cultivation.

badmajon Said:

I mean, we're living in a country where most people think 'good coffee' = starbucks.

You can make such an argument on any topic.  Is there a market for high performance cars when most people prefer cheap/reliable/boring cars?  Is there a market for high quality steak when millions eat at McDonald's?  Is there a market for higher end retail with Walmart?

It's not about catering to the masses if you're going to specialize in high end product.  The niche won't be as big as the most popular options but there's still plenty of opportunity within the niche.

badmajon Said:

The rest of it is Starbucks et al.

You're not looking hard enough.  Or effectively enough.  Starbucks may be ubiquitous but that doesn't mean that the market for better coffee doesn't exist.
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013, 3:28am

You’re right of saying that you’re living in a country where most people think good coffee, thus make this a challenge rather than thinking negative in your café venture. It is not true that beginners have no more chance to compete entering the same venture because big and popular coffee shops are there around USA. Coffee business still good around USA, so think positive and don’t hesitate to start opening coffee shop in any busy places in the USA.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Is there really...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.314680099487)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+