Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
how would you rate coffee making
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > how would you...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 10:16pm
Subject: how would you rate coffee making

People have said grinder grinder grinder.  Of course others have also first and foremost beans beans beans.

I want to know how much more important is one aspect over the other.  How would you distribute 100% across the following list?    I will compile an average for both lists.

For espresso:
Beans
Grinder
Espresso Machine
Prep & Tamp technique
Tamper

And for drip,
Beans
Grinder
Brewing Device
Brewing Technique
 View Profile Link to this post
jliedeka
jliedeka

Grinder: Rocky Stainless
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor, heat gun
Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013, 8:05am
Subject: Re: how would you rate coffee making

Maybe water should be in there somewhere since it makes up the majority of our beverage.

I wouldn't look at it as a weighting, at least not until you get further down the list.  Without fresh beans, you aren't going to get a good brew, full stop.  For espresso, a correct grind is also a requirement.  I think once you get down to machine, technique, and tamper, things get a little murkier.  A better machine won't make up for poor technique.  A better tamper makes prep and tamp a lot easier but isn't essential.  Most machines we are talking about here have the capability to produce a good shot.  There may be other considerations for choosing a machine like temperature stability over multiple shots.

For drip, it's going to depend on whether you are doing auto or manual.  Again, fresh beans are a requirement.  The grind is less critical but may depend on the device.  Technique contributes but it really boils down to fresh beans, water at the proper temperature, a reasonable grind, and proper extraction time.  You need all those.

Jim

PS: I was going to say trying to rank those things is splitting hairs but then I looked at what site I was on.  That's what we do here. :)

Cafe todo el dia, tequila toda la noche
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Sat Oct 26, 2013, 11:05pm

I think you have the proper order for each. It's hard to really put a percentage because to us they are all essential
DanoM

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 7:40am

I can't give you % of importance, because they are all intertwined, but here's my order of importance for espresso:
  1. Grinder - without a proper grind even the best machine with the best beans and the best barista can put out horrible espresso time after time.
  2. Machine - you want a machine that is able to put out real espresso.  "Single boiler, dual use" doesn't meet this need for semi-auto machines in my opinion, although with levers a single boiler works fine as do single boiler HX machines.  If you get a machine with problems you will have problems putting out good espresso.
  3. Man - Prep, tamp, technique are all learned.  Without some consistency in making espresso you won't have consistency in the cup.  This takes a little time to learn, but it isn't that hard.  It does pay to be a little obsessive about your espresso preparation details - especially when first learning.
  4. Beans - You must have good beans!  Fresh beans!  Quality roasted beans!  Beans are available from many quality roasters mail order these days.  They are also the cheapest "upgrade" your espresso can have, which is why I put the beans so far down on the list.  You should be using good beans, and if you aren't you should try an "upgrade" to see the difference.
  5. Accessories: tamper, knockbox, towels, steaming pitcher, ...  All these tools are important, but up to personal use and style in many cases.  My current tamper for my La Pavoni is a thick piece of HDPE cutting board I cut out with a hole saw, and it works great.  Italian espresso bars, as I have read, typically don't use a 30# tamp, but more of a leveling tamp and then slap it into the machine.  Steaming pitchers with squared bottoms versus a nice rounded edge bottoms give different steaming and milk swirl that some prefer.  All these tools are for option 3, the Man (or Woman!) and their preference.

Any of the above can turn great espresso into horrible espresso with the exception of the accessories.
brianl

Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 2:16pm

normally i wouldn't say anything, but BEANS are always the most important. then grinder. machine I would put near last just before accessories.
Skylar

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 2:42pm

I must object to a general comment that an sbdu is not capable of making a good shot. Perhaps the inconvenience of multiple milky drinks makes an hx or db desirable, but I protest my shots are as tasty as any I have had in good cafes with good machines, trained staffs and using stumptown or counter culture notwithstanding. Grrrrrrr.

Skylar, and I am not laughing out loud either.
brianl

Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 9:19am

Skylar Said:

I must object to a general comment that an sbdu is not capable of making a good shot. Perhaps the inconvenience of multiple milky drinks makes an hx or db desirable, but I protest my shots are as tasty as any I have had in good cafes with good machines, trained staffs and using stumptown or counter culture notwithstanding. Grrrrrrr.

Skylar, and I am not laughing out loud either.

Posted October 28, 2013 link

I completely agree but that comment took a backseat compared to the other blasphemy that the post included (and I objected to above). haha
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 11:33am

z0mbie Said:

People have said grinder grinder grinder.  Of course others have also first and foremost beans beans beans.

I want to know how much more important is one aspect over the other.  How would you distribute 100% across the following list?    I will compile an average for both lists.

Posted October 24, 2013 link

They're all important.  However, unless "Prep & tamp technique" includes grind and dose then you're missing some stuff.  A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

DanoM Said:

Machine - you want a machine that is able to put out real espresso.  "Single boiler, dual use" doesn't meet this need

How so?  A SBDU is certainly capable.  One may not prefer to use one but a single boiler and espresso aren't mutually exclusive.
DanoM

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 3:10pm

takeshi Said:

DanoM Said:
Machine - you want a machine that is able to put out real espresso.  "Single boiler, dual use" doesn't meet this need

takeshi Said:How so?  A SBDU is certainly capable.  One may not prefer to use one but a single boiler and espresso aren't mutually exclusive.

Posted October 29, 2013 link

I tried to write some cute reply, but it just comes off with me looking like an a$$.  LOL

Anyway, the above was my opinion, and nothing more.  For some reason the rest of that sentence was dropped when quoting: "in my opinion".  Granted, not all SBDU systems are alike, but there are a lot of complaints about many of them.  Waiting for the boiler to switch from brew to steam to brew to steam can get old real quick.  I just can't recommend one; my personal opinion.

I know alot of people love those SBDU as an entry machine.  Jumping from a crappy SBDU to the NS Oscar I realized espresso was much easier than I ever imagined, and saw no reason to put anyone else through such misery of dealing with a SBDU.

Then again, I think most of the home users could do great with some practice and an old lever machine.  I love the manual lever!  Talk about misery when it came to learning that one...
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Thu Oct 31, 2013, 2:53am

I think what is important in coffee making is your knowledge. Even how good your grinder is, you have the best beans yet you donít have the technique in making the best espresso ever, then everything is not contributing. You canít rate higher to any you have enumerated above because all are essentials for coffee making.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > how would you...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.304383039474)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+