Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Whooot! I am getting a speedster!
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Whooot! I am...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Roaster: Poppery
Posted Wed Oct 16, 2013, 5:56am
Subject: Re: Whooot! I am getting a speedster!

frcn Said:

I would already have a case of aerosol spray paint on order.  ;-)

A coffee alcove is certainly in order. All the usual stuff: 220v., fully plumbed, under cabinet filter system, vent hood for roasting indoors, custom lighting, video camera and wide screen so others can watch the extraction. Like I said- the usual stuff.

Posted October 15, 2013 link

Well that is part of the deal. We are wrapping up a remodel of the basement were there use to be a canning kitchen complete with a big hood there is now a bar next to a home theater. I was going to get a second machine down there for entertaining and having removed a cooktop and oven the 220 was already handy.  As that project neared completion wifey started the "don't you want a one really nice machine? I know i would like a kitchen remodeled without an espresso machine. Next thing you know, we have an accord.

kwantfm Said:

Great stuff... serious question here.  Did you consider a Slayer single group, what about Synesso, LM GS/3 or Linea single group?

Just curious as to the buying decision (undoubtedly the Speedster will both look great as well as produce an amazing cup).

Terence

The Synesso is a serious consideration or at least i always thought it would be if i were ever going to "step up to the window" because of pressure profiling. I never considered the GS3 enough of a temptation to make me part with the money. I had actually settled on an Elektra T-1 for down stairs before this came up. My thought was Duetto for upstairs when i want drink coffee during my work day and the T-1 down stairs for entertaining and being a "coffee geek". That and I wanted one HX and one DB so i could take that weapon away from folks when the flame wars begin ;)  When i am all done I will post some pics. I would love to think I could get the kitchen done and the machine here by late spring.

NobbyR Said:

Congrats on your plan! But I guess you can take your time. Doesn't Kees van der Westen build those machines custom-made?

That is my understanding or at least the list is long enough they don't generally have any on hand.

calblacksmith Said:

NO, it isn't made in China with consumer grade parts!  I would rethink this decision on the speedster, you can do better for about $1k LOL!

Posted October 16, 2013 link

What was i THINKING!!! No remodeled kitchen for the wife. Now i am off to trade my tractor for a Murray lawn machine at Walmart.

Yes I put the BDB and CC1 in the same class, yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Oct 16, 2013, 10:56am

John,

That's freakin" awesome!  I have to say...I'm envious as all hell.  There was a day when I owned two Silvias and my wife said..."why don't you sell them and put the money towards what you really want?"  At the time, I didn't have my sights set all that high, and in fact, couldn't decide which prosumer machine I really, truly wanted...so I ended up selling one Silvia to my best friend for cheeeeep, and then waiting.  Eventually, I got some money the IRS owed me for like 10 F'ING years!!!  So it was actually doubled by interest.  We ended up springing for a king size bed frame and mattress set, my Duetto and a second Macap M4...and saving a bunch of it too.  Now I'm scrounging $20 bills and quarters until I get enough for a K30 Vario (probably will pass on the HG one, which was prior dream grinder). If I were in your shoes, I'd strongly consider a Slayer as well (since you're looking at the Hydra).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Oct 16, 2013, 11:47am

Synesso is at the top of MY list but I would not kick any of those machines to the garage if they showed  up on my counter ;D

Speedster, Slayer, Synesso (they all start with S, I wonder if that has anything to do with anything?)  or any other high end machine is a wonderful treat, ya gotta love the wife for the green light! My wife did the same thing with me and my shop. On day out of the blue about 11 years ago, she said "why don't we refinance the house and build that shop you always wanted?" I then offered to do the kitchen too so it goes both ways :D

Now the hard part, getting the kitchen done before the machine, man time is going to drag by!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Oct 16, 2013, 2:33pm

emradguy Said:

Now I'm scrounging $20 bills and quarters until I get enough for a K30 Vario .

Did you consider the Compak K-10 fresh? 68mm Conical vs. 65 flat in the Vario. In that general price range (defined as: "YOU SPENT HOW MUCH ON A COFFEE GRINDER?!) it is certainly worth considering.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Oct 16, 2013, 6:24pm

Grats, I plan to upgrade my machine when I remodel my kitchen one day as well.  Keep us posted on the plans and photos.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Wed Oct 16, 2013, 7:55pm

frcn Said:

In that general price range (defined as: "YOU SPENT HOW MUCH ON A COFFEE GRINDER?!)

That is so funny because it so true.

Ron,

I am thinking the big ugly espresso machine and grinder in the wife's kitchen for a few of years then offer to remodel the kitchen and BANG your good to go.

Yes I put the BDB and CC1 in the same class, yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013, 12:20pm

I did, but I have a 17 3/4 counter height to deal with, and iirc the k10 is around 20" even with the short hopper. I suppose I could cut it even shorter and then come up with a plan for a lid.

jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013, 12:36pm

emradguy Said:

I did, but I have a 17 3/4 counter height to deal with, and iirc the k10 is around 20" even with the short hopper. I suppose I could cut it even shorter and then come up with a plan for a lid.

Posted October 17, 2013 link

Nahh get the reciprocating saw out and leave it on the kitchen counter. When the wife says something about it just say " Oh I am about to do a little cabinet work so my new grinder will fit. Next thing you know, BAM your kicked out the kitchen but you get a new machine. :)

frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013, 1:23pm

jwoodyu Said:

Nahh get the reciprocating saw out and leave it on the kitchen counter. When the wife says something about it just say " Oh I am about to do a little cabinet work so my new grinder will fit. Next thing you know, BAM your kicked out the kitchen but you get a new machine. :)

Posted October 17, 2013 link

"But, Dear. Where am I going to put it all?"
"How should I know?!"
"I Have an idea... Remember that coffee cart idea I had..... Granite top? All those drawers??"
etc.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013, 8:26pm

lol...you guys are too funny. We have this "breakfast area" off our kitchen.  It's about 150 sq ft.  It's been converted to a small child play area...puzzle mat on the floor, a rocking chair in the corner and a toddler's train table...but I've been planting the idea of making a nice bar there when the kids get a little older...then, the sky's the limit.

so, here's another reason why I could never get kicked out of the kitchen...I'm the cook in our house.  My wife makes French style scrambled eggs about once a year...and besides that does absolutely no cooking whatsoever!

showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Whooot! I am...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.415950059891)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+