Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Pressure
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Pressure  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MattJ

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: LP-EP Lever
Grinder: Nuovo Simonelli MCF
Posted Sun Oct 13, 2013, 8:10am
Subject: Pressure

Recently while doing a little research I read a FAQ about lever machines and the author wrote that a shot should be pulled when the pressure in the boiler is "9 plus or minus 2 bar."  I quickly scampered over to my machine to look at the pressure gauge.  I pull shots at around 1 bar or approximately 14.5 psi.  I remember a discussion on here years ago concerning the altitude of your machine and pressure and a highly regarded member of the community saying that if the pressurestat in a lever was set above about 1.2 bar then most users would over extract their shots.  I then punched in "espresso and pressure" into the googles and was a bit surprised.  Lots of mention of "pressure" with no mention of units of measure.  When units are mentioned they seem to be quoted wrong.  My gauge has both bar and psi (it came from an ag supply store), but I wanted to make sure the conversion is correct so I consulted Al's best invention once again and it seems to be correct at roughly 1 bar being equal to 14.5 psi.  Am I missing something here?

edit - I dug around a little and found the old posts, but they were on a different forum.  I'm not going to post the link out of courtesy, but it wasn't hard to find.  The poster was Stefano out of Eugene who advertises over here too and I misquoted him.  He said he never sets a La Pavoni lever above .9 bar with some people happy with .7 bar.  So, perhaps the FAQ just left the decimal point out of each number, meaning .9 plus or minus .2 bar.  That's the most reasonable thing I've come up with.  Funny that in this little world of home connoiseurs that's exactly the stuff I find maddening.  I can remember very easily grabbing the fragile ring on the pressurestat with needle nose pliers and nervously twisting.  To think you could be doing this and not knowing that you were going for a 10 factor too great :)
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Oct 14, 2013, 2:31am
Subject: Re: Pressure

MattJ Said:

I pull shots at around 1 bar or approximately 14.5 psi.

Posted October 13, 2013 link

I hope not! I pull my shots at 9.5 bar, or about 138.7 PSI! :-)  (Brewing pressure, not boiler pressure.)

Boiler pressure represents the temperature of the shot you are going to pull. The higher the boiler pressure is, the hotter the steam is in the boiler.
For example, Most HX users that I know use 1.1-1.2 bar for their boiler pressure. I know that's pretty much convention.

Now I do know that higher altitudes result in lower boiling temperatures for water, but in a boiler, its enclosed and pressurized, so altitude really doesn't matter. When the gauge
reads 1.2 bar, that boiler is at the same pressure at any altitude. :-)

Just as a FYI, The unit of bar is actually a bit of an antiquated measurement, but the easiest way to remember it is that 1 bar equates to 100 Kilopascals, which is a metric
measurement. It's one of these measurements which was incorporated into the metric system because it is a unit of 10... Even though, we use Pascals instead of Millbars.
As well, I think they use bars because it is easier to fit a "1" instead of "100" on the gauge, or "Bars" instead of "kPa x 100".  :)

Mods: You may wish to move this post to the lever machines forum.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Oct 14, 2013, 3:44am

MattJ Said:

(...) the pressure in the boiler is "9 plus or minus 2 bar."  (...)

Posted October 13, 2013 link

In an HX or lever machine (steam) boiler pressure is usually 1.1 to 1.4 bar, while brewing pressure should be 9 1 bar.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
MattJ

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: LP-EP Lever
Grinder: Nuovo Simonelli MCF
Posted Tue Oct 15, 2013, 11:12am

Perhaps we've stumbled onto the confusion.  It appears that .9 bar would be a normal pressure for the EP's boiler while the espresso should be pulled at a pressure of 9 bar plus or minus in the group head including the downward force of the lever.  It seems that bloggers may be confusing these numbers as they are one significant digit from each other.

I don't know how anyone runs a lever with out a pressure gauge.

Note to Mod: like above poster mentioned ^^^ this might go better in the Lever room.  Sorry.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Pressure  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.230311870575)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+