Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
My first pull with new Gaggio Classic (with pictures)
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > My first pull...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
Author Messages
Nurk2
Nurk2
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggio Classic
Grinder: Gaggio MDF
Drip: French Press
Posted Mon Oct 7, 2013, 5:49am
Subject: My first pull with new Gaggio Classic (with pictures)

Here it is. My Gaggia Classic w/MDF grinder finally arrived (my first real machine), and after futsing around and setting it up I finally managed to start pulling shots. This is my third try at about 22 seconds. It's hard to see, but it's just about at the 1 oz. line on the glass on the left.

Tasted good - and the one's I've made subsequent to this tasted even better - but I'm using Lavazza. I like my regular coffee to be more along the lines of a French roast. Any suggestions for an espresso roast that will get me closer to that flavor?

Nurk2: firstpull1.jpg
(Click for larger image)

If it sounds good, it is good.
~ Duke Ellington

If you sound bad on Squire through a Peavey Bandit, you're not going to sound good on a PRS through a Badcat.

www.danskidmore.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
brianl

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Mon Oct 7, 2013, 8:43am
Subject: Re: My first pull with new Gaggio Classic (with picture)

I wouldn't knock out all kinds of roasts based on having lavazza or whatever (probably stale). I typically don't like french roast and the darkest i've had without cringing is RedBird Espresso. That would be a good starting point considering how cheap (but high quality) it is.

It also comes down to the age old question. Do you like winy, fruity coffee or chocolately?
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Oct 7, 2013, 8:53am

Congrats:-)
Fresh coffee will be vastly better!
I recommend that you take a look at the roasting chart at Sweet Maria's, it will help to understand roast/flavor profiles better.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Mon Oct 7, 2013, 8:58am

You may like dark roast in coffee.  In espresso, it tends to ruin flavors, over roasted and burned.  In addition dark is often oily and a mess for the grinder as you grind finer.  Agree that Redbird is a great starting place, and good to continue with :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Nurk2
Nurk2

Posted Mon Oct 7, 2013, 11:32am

Hey all - thanks for looking/suggestions. Here's another picture of it cupped.

And thanks for suggestions on the coffee. Like I said, I prefer French roast in my regular coffee. On the Sweet Maria's chart it's probably approaching a 15. I'm not trying to make espresso with my French roast.

I'm not sure what flavor that would be - I think, perhaps, more of a very dry red wine. I like richness - mouthfeel. And I'm getting good mouthfeel.

Here's something, one flavor I really do not like is dark chocolate. Odd, eh? I like espresso, and black coffee, and I don't mind bitter veggies like spinach and swiss chard  - particularly with butter. I've been known to eat extra-sharp cheddar cheese without crackers. I like brie. I hate limburger.

But dark chocolate (and I've had some excellent, "single bean"-type stuff) tastes terrible to me, like "I-wish-I-could-spit-this-out" terrible.

So there you go. It's a pretty narrow range - but when I find what I like I really like it. The Red Bird sounds good (perhaps anything really fresh at this point would be good). Do you think it fits my flavor profile?

Nurk2: cupped1.JPG
(Click for larger image)

~ Duke Ellington

If you sound bad on Squire through a Peavey Bandit, you're not going to sound good on a PRS through a Badcat.

www.danskidmore.com
sherpakid

Espresso: Quickmill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex, Aeropress, Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Oct 7, 2013, 2:27pm

Like others have said, I wouldn't buy based on roast profile. French Roast is basically burnt coffee. I'm guessing you like the chocolate, caramel type of espresso's with low acidity. Here are a couple of my favorites along those lines:
- Forty Weight PYT Espresso
- Klatch Belle Espresso
- Metropolis Redline

There are many many other fav's, but I'm too lazy to paste the links in here. But these are a few favorites that could fit your profile.

edit - just saw that you dislike chocolate. Not sure how I missed that. But in order to find your espresso profile, you'll need to drink a wide variety of espresso. It's the only way to know what you like and what you dislike and you may find that you actually like stuff you thought you didn't. Whatever you buy, make sure it's freshly roasted and enjoy experimenting. When I first started out, my coffee rotation was massive until I could narrow my circle down to what I liked.

www.prohibitionspecialtycoffee.com
Nurk2
Nurk2

Posted Mon Oct 7, 2013, 3:07pm

sherpakid Said:

edit - just saw that you dislike chocolate. Not sure how I missed that.

Posted October 7, 2013 link

Actually. I LOVE chocolate - milk chocolate. Like a candy bar. I hate DARK chocolate - like the practically straight cocoa.

Thank you so much for the recommendations. Frankly, all of these look EXCELLENT!

~ Duke Ellington

www.danskidmore.com
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Oct 8, 2013, 6:00am

I am a fan of Klatch Belle and WBC, the Fair Trade blend, not so much, not so much in fact that I will not buy it. Nothing wrong if you like that flavor profile but not for me. I tend to favor dark, bass and chocolate flavors, Fair trade has a ...... sour to me flavor that I don't like.

I can't help with the other two above but again, I do like RedBird too. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Nurk2
Nurk2

Posted Tue Oct 8, 2013, 6:05am

A little update.... I took a look at a lot of different beans. Thank you for your suggestions. I pulled the trigger on the Metropolis Redline. Looks perfect. I also dialed back on the amount I was using for a double, and that smoothed things out a bit.

~ Duke Ellington

www.danskidmore.com
Nurk2
Nurk2

Posted Tue Oct 8, 2013, 7:39am

Hey Cal - Thanks. The RedBird is definitely next!

~ Duke Ellington

www.danskidmore.com
showing page 1 of 5 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > My first pull...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.294737100601)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+