Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
My first pull with new Gaggio Classic (with pictures)
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > My first pull...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Tue Oct 8, 2013, 8:08am
Subject: Re: My first pull with new Gaggio Classic (with pictures)

I'm from chicago, so Metropolis is definitely one I'm familiar with. I definitely recommend overdosing (19g) in a double with redline as it's very winey. However, the best fruity coffee i've had, has come from Barismo (Boston) and Bow Truss (Chicago). I can't recommend anything as their selection rotates quite frequently (usually yirgacheffe is hard to mess up).

When first starting out, I recommend buying larger sizes as some will be sink shots figuring out what you like (testing 5 shots back to back you hopefully wont be drinking every last drop of all of them either ha)

honorable mentions: gaslight roasters, intelligentsia, dark matter, counter culture.

It's overwhelming, I know ha. Make sure you get a nice long bristled brush to clean our your MDF after each use. That chute is a magnet for stale grounds.
 View Profile Link to this post
sherpakid

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex, Aeropress, Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Oct 8, 2013, 8:14am

If you feel like going on a long espresso journey, here is a compilation of favorite roasters. A great place to start.

www.prohibitionspecialtycoffee.com
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Oct 8, 2013, 10:37am

I am not sure where you are in the journey, so I will add a bit of information.  

http://www.espressomyespresso.com/       12 - EASY GUIDE TO BETTER ESPRESSO AT HOME

In addition, what is your dose of espresso grind?

Which basket?  I assume the double not perfect crema.

Did you change the OPV yet?  If that does not make sense, search Gaggia OPV Pressure...

OPV set to 9 bar pressure will make it a lot easier.  Some will argue to use it OEM until mastered and then change the OPV, but we almost all change to 9 bar and that is the reason to buy a machine with adjustable OPV.  If you haven't yet,

Just do it  :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Nurk2
Nurk2

Espresso: Gaggio Classic
Grinder: Gaggio MDF
Drip: French Press
Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 5:21am

brianl Said:

I'm from chicago, so Metropolis is definitely one I'm familiar with. I definitely recommend overdosing (19g) in a double with redline as it's very winey. However, the best fruity coffee i've had, has come from Barismo (Boston) and Bow Truss (Chicago). I can't recommend anything as their selection rotates quite frequently (usually yirgacheffe is hard to mess up).

When first starting out, I recommend buying larger sizes as some will be sink shots figuring out what you like (testing 5 shots back to back you hopefully wont be drinking every last drop of all of them either ha)

honorable mentions: gaslight roasters, intelligentsia, dark matter, counter culture.

It's overwhelming, I know ha. Make sure you get a nice long bristled brush to clean our your MDF after each use. That chute is a magnet for stale grounds.

Posted October 8, 2013 link

I'm looking for a nice, honest, espresso. I'm not (yet?) a third-wave kinda of espresso drinker. I've not developed the palate to really appreciate super-complicated stuff.

I'm pulling a few every night - watching, tasting, dumping, pulling again - to get a sense of what the different flavors are, and what I like. A pound is plenty for me. I'm pretty good at buying stuff before I run out.  I'm only really "drinking" one a day.

Currently I'm working on the differences between sour and bitter. For example, last night, I cut back on the dose a little, and sure enough, was able to pull a sour one by letting extract for the full time. Dumped it, tried again. Better. I'm actually glad to hear that this stands up to over-dosing, because that's the direction tend to lean toward. Thanks!

If it sounds good, it is good.
~ Duke Ellington

If you sound bad on Squire through a Peavey Bandit, you're not going to sound good on a PRS through a Badcat.

www.danskidmore.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Nurk2
Nurk2

Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 5:48am

D4F Said:

I am not sure where you are in the journey, so I will add a bit of information.  

http://www.espressomyespresso.com/       12 - EASY GUIDE TO BETTER ESPRESSO AT HOME

In addition, what is your dose of espresso grind?

Which basket?  I assume the double not perfect crema.

Did you change the OPV yet?  If that does not make sense, search Gaggia OPV Pressure...

OPV set to 9 bar pressure will make it a lot easier.  Some will argue to use it OEM until mastered and then change the OPV, but we almost all change to 9 bar and that is the reason to buy a machine with adjustable OPV.  If you haven't yet,

Just do it  :)

Posted October 8, 2013 link

It appears that the OPV adjustment is pretty straight-forward. I'm a musician. The OPV adjustment is a lot like doing a truss-rod adjustment on a Strat: pop off the neck; make the adjustment; put the neck back on and string it back up to tension; check the action - repeat. A PITA but necessary to get your setup "dialed in." Ditto when setting the bias on a Fender tube amp. Pull some tubes, set up a bias meter, and change the settings with a screwdriver on  the fly.

You're saying that it's set too LOW from the factory, and it needs to be INCREASED? Correct? Right now I don't have any reason to believe that the pressure's too low. I'm getting good timing and good crema on some pretty cheap stale espresso.

That said, if it's the general recommendation of those who use and know these machines that a quarter turn clockwise is going to increase the performance, I might as well make this adjustment now, and get accustomed to pulling at the correct pressure.

As for dosing - and this will probably get me kicked right off of CG before I even get started - but after years of cooking for a living, I work mostly from volume/sight/smell when I'm cooking. Well, "mostly" would be an understatement. I use the double, non-pressurized basket. I'm going by volume, using the Weiss distribution and N-S-E-W techniques before tamping. So far so good - see the first pictures. I'm willing to dump anything that doesn't look or taste good.

~ Duke Ellington

If you sound bad on Squire through a Peavey Bandit, you're not going to sound good on a PRS through a Badcat.

www.danskidmore.com
Nurk2
Nurk2

Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 5:49am

And thanks again to you all for the links and leads. I've been through them all. Watched a ton of videos. Explored the sights of many many roasters.  I'm devouring this information.

~ Duke Ellington

www.danskidmore.com
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 6:32am

Pressure comes set too high, to allow for the "perfect crema device" or pressurized PF.  The approximation is 3/4 turn, 270 degrees, counter clockwise.  I am not at home and have a couple articles on adjustment with and without a gauge.  Some adjust blind, some measure OPV return knowing flow at 9 bar, and others use a gauge.  I will try to send more this evening.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
brianl

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 6:51am

just use these. they plug into the bottom of the portafilter. make sure you use it with no basket! you should be shooting for about 10 bar static pressure

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

prices fluxuate a lot as you can tell by the comments it's mostly used by gaggia people (they drive the price up) ha. Home Depot has them for much less.
Nurk2
Nurk2

Posted Wed Oct 9, 2013, 7:31am

D4F Said:

Pressure comes set too high, to allow for the "perfect crema device" or pressurized PF.  The approximation is 3/4 turn, 270 degrees, counter clockwise.

Posted October 9, 2013 link

brianl Said:

just use these. they plug into the bottom of the portafilter.

Posted October 9, 2013 link

I'm very glad I asked!

~ Duke Ellington

www.danskidmore.com
Nurk2
Nurk2

Posted Mon Oct 21, 2013, 7:59am

Made a couple OPV adjustments, rather than one big one. All totaled, it did come out to 3/4 (270 degrees) of a full turn. It made a big difference. Thank you!

~ Duke Ellington

www.danskidmore.com
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > My first pull...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.307826042175)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+