Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Coffee shop finder app?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Coffee shop...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
tglodjo
tglodjo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 9:58am
Subject: Re: Coffee shop finder app?

Check out the Coffee Guru app for iOS. I've used it when traveling and have found it to be very helpful.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 10:12am

It's $2...I know, not much but, before I spend the cash would you mind looking at yours to see if the following cafes are listed?

Cafe 1389- Central Square 20 min
Dwell Time - Central Square 30 min
Area 4 - Kendall Square 20 min
Voltage Cafe Kendall Square 30 min
Simon's Cafe Porter Square 40 min

I'd really appreciate it, as I'll be heading to Cambridge in a little over a week.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 10:23am

dana_leighton Said:

http://espressomap.com

Posted September 23, 2013 link

This seems like a decent app, but there are some SERIOUS gaps in their radar. I suppose no app will really be complete, so it's not a bad tool.

-Dave-
tglodjo
tglodjo

Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 10:26am

emradguy Said:

It's $2...I know, not much but, before I spend the cash would you mind looking at yours to see if the following cafes are listed?

I'd really appreciate it, as I'll be heading to Cambridge in a little over a week.

Posted September 25, 2013 link

Can you give me a zip code to search? Are you talking Cambridge, MA? If so, Voltage, Area Four, and Simon's, showed up, as well as a Cafe 1369. There are quite a bit more as well, but I searched the entire city of Cambridge.
RoyceRuiz

Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 11:20am

emradguy Said:

First of all, the hijacking was fine.  Second, regarding the Coffee Guru app I briefly mentioned it in my first post.  I have it and it is worth the two bucks (just because it saved me from wasting more than that on occasion but it has a lot of bad places listed too.  I like the idea of senior members reviewing places but I also want a lot of users.  That was why I was thinking something where you have to pass a short test to be able to post and vote.  Quiz question examples below.

Q1. How long is roasted coffee generally good for?

1. Until the best by date
  2. for 3-5 days
  3. 2-4 weeks
  4. 3 Months

Q2. What type of coffee are you most likely to buy?

1. French Roast
  2. Dark Roast
  3. SO light roast etc.

Maybe 5 questions just to check that the person is coming from the same place as most of us.  Then, once you pass you can add shops and vote shops up or down.  If a shop gets below a certain rating or drops significantly it can be flagged for review by senior members/ mods.

The coffee guru app has some good ideas but fails to recognize Charbucks wannabes and shops the poorly execute. It also suffers from lack of contributors.  Like I said, worth 2 bucks but not the solution.
tglodjo
tglodjo

Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 11:34am

Wow, completely missed that you mentioned CoffeeGuru in your original post. Sorry to duplicate. I totally agree. Lack of users is the biggest downside. But even though it includes less than quality shops, I at least like that it has most of the good ones in the database too.
RoyceRuiz

Posted Wed Sep 25, 2013, 11:43am

tglodjo Said:

Wow, completely missed that you mentioned CoffeeGuru in your original post. Sorry to duplicate. I totally agree. Lack of users is the biggest downside. But even though it includes less than quality shops, I at least like that it has most of the good ones in the database too.

I live in a fairly good area for coffee; the broader San Francisco bay area, and I agree that it has most of the well known ones and I have added about 10 to it myself to give it the lesser known places as well but before I added those it only had the big boys (Blue Bottle, Four Barrel, Sightglass etc.)  I had to add the many other local shops that are excellent in their own way.  I now consider the app ok for my area because of me but not so for other areas that I travel too.  I frequently arrive in a city, check the app, find nothing, check coffee geek or HB or Google etc., find a shop after 30 mins of searching on my phone, go to the shop, its either good or bad, if its good I end up adding it.  I never really find new shops with it.  I found the app when Gizmodo did a feature on it and I hoped that it would be good but it has been a disappointment.  I still use it and contribute and like I said, it is worth 2 bucks but I still hope for something better.

*note, I typed that fast so I hope it made sense

*edit, I reread my post and fixed some major errors.  Sorry if you tried to read it before.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 11:11am

http://espressomap.com/  

The reviews for Portland or are old and I believe some of the shops listed are out of date.  I have tried to do a google map of what I found but I think we should do something this for this site.   An open map that members add the coffee shops to as they find them listing the equipment and roasts and barista level of skill noted.  He is just using google maps and embedding it in the page.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MAREC
MAREC

Espresso: BrevilleBES900XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 12:01pm

Don't just map America! I travel to go scuba diving and finding that one conscientiously great espresso shop is even harder to find. So please add Paperman's on Grand Cayman to your map! Anyone know of a great espresso place ANYWHERE on Maui (espresso, not drip coffee).

And by the by, Yelp is so hit and miss as to make it worthless. Was recently in Anchorage at a highly recommended shop and I walked out the door, tasted the dbl shot and dumped it in the street.
RoyceRuiz

Posted Mon Sep 30, 2013, 11:06am

MAREC Said:

Don't just map America! I travel to go scuba diving and finding that one conscientiously great espresso shop is even harder to find. So please add Paperman's on Grand Cayman to your map! Anyone know of a great espresso place ANYWHERE on Maui (espresso, not drip coffee).

And by the by, Yelp is so hit and miss as to make it worthless. Was recently in Anchorage at a highly recommended shop and I walked out the door, tasted the dbl shot and dumped it in the street.

Posted September 29, 2013 link

I agree that it should be as international as possible if we are creating from scratch.  I was hoping to find an app or list that already does what I want and for me personally only California is important to me.  I hope somebody takes this idea and makes it work.  If it was truly filled with only good recommendations I would pay up to $10 for an app like that (although I'm sure others wouldn't).  Free would be fantastic but I would take what I could get.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Coffee shop...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.341122865677)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+