Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Espresso App idea - track everything and graph it
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Espresso App...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
zachrnz

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Sep 8, 2013, 12:57pm
Subject: Espresso App idea - track everything and graph it

Hello everyone, after countless hours of lurking on this site (and HB as well) this is my first foray out into the open. I owe a huge thank you to everyone here for helping me along my way as I've discovered the world of espresso. You guys are awesome.

To get to my point, I am interested in creating an iPhone app for espresso junkies who measure and record the details of their brewing process. Here's my idea:

The app should be cable of tracking almost any conceivable measurable variable in the espresso brewing process starting with the roasted beans and ending with tasting notes. You should be able to select only those variables which you intend to track, and customize the app's recording flow to match your process. Finally, various graphs and reports should be available and customizable based on stored past results. For example, you should be able to create a graph showing volume of espresso as a function of time or grind setting, or maybe graph overall taste rating compared to age of roast.

Here are the variable that I think should be available (are there any you think I am missing?):

Coffee (name, roast date)
Grind setting
Grounds (weight or volume, pre distribution)
Distribution (method)
Grounds (weight, post distribution)
Tamp (notes, 1-5 pressure estimate?)
Brew temperature (F or C)
Pressure setting (bar or psi)
Time (include hacks for preinfusion, time before first drop, blonding time, stop time)
Shot Volume (ml, fl. Ounces)
Shot weight (grams, ounces)

Espresso Notes:
Appearance
Taste
 1-5 overall
 Acidity
 Mouthfeel
 Sweetness
 Crema quality
 Etc

I envision that this app's workflow, once customized, will seamlessly step through the inputs for each shot in the same order you actually perform the steps, even displaying a timer when appropriate and, if desired, recording important intermediate time hacks during the pull, such as blonding time. After the shot is complete, it will prompt for tasting notes, again only if desired, and display any calculated metrics requested (such as grounds to espresso ratio, times recorded, etc)

So far, I haven't found an app that does anything like this, have you?

What do you think of the idea? Would you want to use it? If I get enough interest in the idea, I will consider developing the app.
 View Profile Link to this post
jimboc

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: mypressi twist
Grinder: Baratza Precico
Posted Sun Sep 8, 2013, 2:24pm
Subject: Re: Espresso App idea - track everything and graph it

When I used to track, I recorded my cooling flush and rebound time, as well as rough ambient temperature and humidity.
zachrnz

Posted Sun Sep 8, 2013, 2:39pm

Thanks, I can add those to the list. I've never heard of considering humidity before. How does it affect the shot?
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Sep 10, 2013, 8:28am

it changes the grind, the beans absorb the water in the air.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Sep 10, 2013, 8:59am

I might be interested in using it.  If it were free, I'd probably download.  after that, if I found I wasn't using it, I'd delete it.  I've been too lazy to record my parameters, but if I were to do that, it wold be very helpful to me to know which direction and approximately how far to move my grinder when changing from bean x to bean y.  Also, I sometimes forget what dose I preferred bean x at.

EDITS:

1) I suspect I would be more likely to use the app than a pen and pad

2) I may also possibly use it for press pot as well. I actually have a log on my work PC for my Espro press experimentation. In this log, I have some details about the overall process (logistics), dose weights, water temps, significant points in brew times (bloom length, full pour time, stir time, press time), OE Lido setting, tasting notes.  I probably would include clarity (amount of fines in the cup).

The graph I would like would illustrate the spectrum of grind setting, where I could place each bean/blend with respect to the others.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
zachrnz

Posted Wed Sep 11, 2013, 5:55am

Thanks for the feedback, that's really what I'm looking for: an idea of what kind of real interest there is an app of this sort.
brianl

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Sep 12, 2013, 5:35am

if you could get it working on android i'd give it a spin. I would particularly be a fan of the graph history.
johnboddie

Espresso: MCAL, Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Rossi RR45a,Rocky,...
Drip: Cuisinart (non-grinding)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Sep 12, 2013, 5:57am

I suggest you follow the usual path when developing an app:

1. Figure out what the most important features are.

2. Figure out an effective look and feel (iPhone apps are a significant challenge when you are working with a lot of different data items, such as the full set you suggest. The "etc" item is typically the source of many problems.)

3. Build a prototype

4. Select a test audience and provide the app free in exchange for feedback

5. If the response is overwhelmingly positive, make a general release, otherwise take the suggestions and modify what you have.

6. Repeat steps 1 through 5 as necessary until you get the overwhelmingly positive response.

Good luck,

JB
zachrnz

Posted Fri Sep 13, 2013, 6:44pm

Emradguy: I really hadn't thought of supporting other variable-intensive methods of brewing, like press pot and pour over, because I don't use them much myself. These methods would fit right in though, so I may have to learn more about them. It's starting to become clear that there are so many possible variables different user might want to track, I may need allow users to create their own variables. I don't think that would be very hard.

Johnboddie: thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to sit down and try to diagram out the app page by page. Maybe I'll post it here when I do.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 6:12pm

If it matters... It seems you have one vote for an android and one (mine) vote for an iPhone.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Espresso App...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket Espresso Machines
Free extended warranty & free shipping. Contact us for best prices.
espressooutlet.net
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.245872020721)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+