Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
I'm really enjoying espresso with cream.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > I'm really...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
pizzaman383

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme DDv2, KAProLinePID
Grinder: Fiorenzato Doge 83,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Sun Aug 25, 2013, 4:08pm
Subject: I'm really enjoying espresso with cream.

I tried getting some discussion about this to happen on home-barista but it didn't go anywhere.  Maybe there will be more interest here on coffeegeek.

My favorite drink is cold espresso with milk and some sugar. I typically use about a one-to-one ratio of espresso to milk - I think it's closest to a cortado. I like a strong espresso flavor but I like it cut with milk and some sugar. For convenience, I sometimes buy the *$ DoubleShot in the can. It's not pure but it's what I like ;-).

I've been experimenting with variations of the amount of espresso, milk, half-and-half, heavy cream, and sugar to vary ratio of coffee to milk/cream and the sweetness. I've also varied the type of espresso blend between several blends with which I have lots of experience. It's been really interesting.

Here are some of the findings:
- The amount of cream changes the mouth feel more than it changes the taste. The fat in the cream brings a smoothness that's really nice.
- Coffee blends that taste fantastic with just milk don't taste as good with cream. I think that the blend needs to be matched to the amount of milk and the type of cream. I think I may like the *$ espresso blend best when made with heavy cream.
- After figuring out the ratio espresso, reduced fat milk, heavy cream, and sugar in the *$ DoubleShot can I have used it with my own brewed espresso I find it pretty close to what's in the can.

I have been amazed by how much you can change the balance and taste by addition of a little milk, water, or cream. I used to wonder why there are so many different espresso drinks. Now, I want to make all of the drinks on the espresso drink poster one after the other so I can try them all.

I also think that varying the ratio of milk/water/cream to espresso should be added to the list of things to try in order to maximize your enjoyment of a particular espresso bean/roast/blend.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013, 6:51am
Subject: Re: I'm really enjoying espresso with cream.

I'm not sure what discussion you are trying to get. People enjoy coffee/espresso in many ways, what you like I may spit out and the reverse may also be true. For example, I can't stand cold or even room temp coffee, it causes me to gag while I have friends who love cold and iced coffee. We simply have different taste preferences.

When discussing things that are personal in nature, there is not right or wrong, just what you prefer.

Enjoy.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Aug 27, 2013, 11:25pm

We have different taste and choice. If you enjoy your espresso with heavy cream, then thatís your choice. But remember that too much cream is not good for your health. 1 teaspoon of non-dairy creamers has 10 calories. It is still good but when you add more teaspoons, then it will double or triple the calories.

Bottom line: enjoy your espresso if possible without those extra calories and fat.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 6:38am

Non dairy creamer never entered into the discussion, we are all grown adults here,whatever we decide to drink, we take it upon ourselves for the consequences, regardless of the calories consumed, enjoy what you enjoy before the government tells you what you may or may not eat..... even more than they are at the moment.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 9:44am

calblacksmith Said:

Non dairy creamer never entered into the discussion, we are all grown adults here,whatever we decide to drink, we take it upon ourselves for the consequences, regardless of the calories consumed, enjoy what you enjoy before the government tells you what you may or may not eat..... even more than they are at the moment.

Posted August 28, 2013 link

+1.  And it seems to me that people ought to take a night and watch George Orwell's "1984".  Before THAT movie is outlawed.  And maybe for a good read the "Declaration of Independence".  Before THAT document is outlawed.

OK.  Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.  

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
pizzaman383

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme DDv2, KAProLinePID
Grinder: Fiorenzato Doge 83,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 5:29pm

calblacksmith Said:

I'm not sure what discussion you are trying to get. People enjoy coffee/espresso in many ways, what you like I may spit out and the reverse may also be true. For example, I can't stand cold or even room temp coffee, it causes me to gag while I have friends who love cold and iced coffee. We simply have different taste preferences.

When discussing things that are personal in nature, there is not right or wrong, just what you prefer.

Enjoy.

Posted August 27, 2013 link

I was not trying to have a discussion about my preferences.  I was trying to get somebody else's thoughts and experiences with the variations in taste that different amounts of milk and milkfat make in espresso.
Flori

Posted Wed Aug 28, 2013, 8:09pm

my cream or milk preference depends on what type of drink or where i got my drink. sometimes, i liked just the right amount but there are times i would like to put on some more.

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com
 View Profile Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013, 4:26am

CoffeeLoversMag Said:

We have different taste and choice. If you enjoy your espresso with heavy cream, then thatís your choice. But remember that too much cream is not good for your health. 1 teaspoon of non-dairy creamers has 10 calories. It is still good but when you add more teaspoons, then it will double or triple the calories.

Bottom line: enjoy your espresso if possible without those extra calories and fat.

Posted August 27, 2013 link

B.S.Margarin and creamer will plug you up and  kill you just as dead just as fast as real milk fat products.

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

+1.  And it seems to me that people ought to take a night and watch George Orwell's "1984".  Before THAT movie is outlawed.  And maybe for a good read the "Declaration of Independence".  Before THAT document is outlawed.

Truth! Governments should fear the people not the people fear the government. When the current mood of "provided for" by the government becomes "fear of and controlled by" it will be to late.

pizzaman383 Said:

I was not trying to have a discussion about my preferences.  I was trying to get somebody else's thoughts and experiences with the variations in taste that different amounts of milk and milkfat make in espresso.

I drink mostly straight doubles and a few macchiatos. I steam only organic whole milk and it seems a short walk between a spoon full of cream and a macchiato.  I am not shocked to hear someone enjoys it that way. You might try warming the cream just for giggles.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013, 5:07am

pizzaman383 Said:

It is ALL about personal preferences. Each person is unique to themselves and what I love you may hate and reversed. What I feel " will smooth the profile" you may find masking the taste.

Play around with things, change it up, drink what you want to drink and don't give a hoot to anyone who has a different view of it as it is you that will be drinking it, not them.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Thu Aug 29, 2013, 3:13pm

The closest I have come to such a thing is a wonderful dessert  'Affogato';

A shot of brandy and a shot of espresso over a dollop of ice cream.

...I guess you can leave out the brandy.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > I'm really...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.357137918472)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+