Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Honey, Vanilla and Effluent - My morning routine
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Honey, Vanilla...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Laowai

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Eupa TSK 1819A
Grinder: Feima 600N
Posted Thu Aug 1, 2013, 2:02am
Subject: Honey, Vanilla and Effluent - My morning routine

Not sure what exactly this would be called, but this is my morning routine and it has resulted in me hating everything else.

The rig setup is in my profile.  Apart from standard, I bought an unpressurized basket, removed the plastic pressurization thing from the portafilter (so there's 3 holes now).  I also modded the grinder by filing back the control on the dial, so it is continuously variable rather than clicking, as well as adjusting it so a "1" setting will lock the grinder.  My beans, I would roast them myself, but with kitchen space being a premium, and my supplier getting me fresh roasted with delivery within 3 hours of ordering, there's no point.  500g bags for $6? Good enough for me!

So I have my setting at ~2.4 for fresh roasted, after a week it gets notched down to 2.3.  Any lower and it clogs, any higher and it's just beanwater with zero machine strain... which means no crema.
Whole milk here comes conveniently in 240ml bags.  Half a bag is just perfect for my morning fix.

Dosing: Depends on freshness.  New beans dose at 18g, old beans need 20g.  This equates to 13 seconds of grind plus a tiny bit.  Modified dixie cup does a good job of capture, followed with a quick stir to defluff it a bit, level and then the tamp.

It's a double shot and the glass is marked off at 65 and 70ml to account for the crema.  A second cup is used to continue the pull for another 45ml until what's being pulled is just light-brown bean water.  It's not great, but the effluent still, oddly, is better than the cafes will do most of the time.  A perfect pull will get my goodies delivered in the 27 seconds, sometimes I do screw it up though and it just kinda drips out resembling more of a "coffee oil".  Usually when I forget to adjust settings for fresh beans.  Oh well, I drink my mistakes.

Milk: Steamed and microfoamed, but with about a teaspoon of vanilla extract first.  The double shot gets 1:1 milk plus all the foam it can hold which is typically good for another part.  The Cup of Effluent gets the first of the hot milk and whatever's left of the foam that needs to be scraped out of the steamer cup.  

Suger? No, Honey!: Fresh, unprocessed honey only, drizzled over the top, about 1 tsp each.

Why not just ditch the effluent? For whatever reason, if there's not enough milk, it doesn't really foam up right.  120ml does it perfect every time, but there's leftover hot milk which I am not going to just throw away, especially after having been adulterated with precious vanilla.  The Cup of Effluent is consumed first, as a sacrifice to the coffee gods, and reminder of "this is the best coffee outside will ever get", followed by the Cappuccino with its perfect ring of crema staining the rim.  The effluent is also a pretty good sign to me of how my beans are holding up, as there will typically still be a bit of crema (not much, but some), and it's still better than filter coffee.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Aug 1, 2013, 6:07am
Subject: Re: Honey, Vanilla and Effluent - My morning routine

What you put in your drinks is a personal thing and congratulations on finding something that works for you.
Your grinder is clearly not good enough. The fact that you have a VERY narrow window of adjustment and that as your beans age, you need to up dose rather than grind more finely because your grinder will not do it.

I also choose to not roast. I have a very good supplier of coffee, at a fair price and it is always fresh so for me, it is not worth the time it would take to do my own personal roasting, I have too many other things to do besides get a new hobby of roasting coffee, esp when excellent coffee is available to me at a fair price.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Laowai

Posted Thu Aug 1, 2013, 11:55pm

calblacksmith Said:

What you put in your drinks is a personal thing and congratulations on finding something that works for you.
Your grinder is clearly not good enough. The fact that you have a VERY narrow window of adjustment and that as your beans age, you need to up dose rather than grind more finely because your grinder will not do it.

I also choose to not roast. I have a very good supplier of coffee, at a fair price and it is always fresh so for me, it is not worth the time it would take to do my own personal roasting, I have too many other things to do besides get a new hobby of roasting coffee, esp when excellent coffee is available to me at a fair price.

Posted August 1, 2013 link

Not just the grinder, the beans.  They are not the *best* out there, but going any better is just a game of diminishing returns.  It *can* grind much finer, but it doesn't end up fluffy in the basket and an overdose ensures crema, while additional fineness does not.  My whole rig paid for itself in under 2 months at a total cost of 1117 RMB (at the time $160).  Swapping up for a better grinder would be around $400.  Payoff would be over 3 months.  But that's using straight math, assuming that I was still going outside for my fix.  The only cost to consider now is coffee.  Due to the fluff, I end up scraping off, say, 0.5g each dose for the first half the bag, assume that was resolved with a new grinder, and that overdosing was not required.  That would yield an additional 32g of espresso per bag.  32g of coffee is 2.78RMB, or 44 cents.  New bag is then every 27.78 days rather than every 26.  It would take some 909 bags of coffee to pay off the investment, or in real terms, I would see *almost* 1 "free" bag (450g) per year.  Break even point is in 65 years.  However, say that investment was made, and the machine could not handle the fineness? That's another chunk to upgrade... all to save 44 cents per bag.  If I was operating a cafe and saving 44 cents a bag while burning through 10 bags a day, yes, this would make perfectly reasonable sense.  Upgrade the grinder and see it all paid off in 3 months (not taking into account the additional profits from the 1.7778 shots per bag), tack on another 3 months for a machine upgrade.  But, alas, I am not, and even the best grinder is not going to stand up to 65 years of usage, plus, I'll be dead by then, sitting in an urn on a bookshelf with stoner great grandkids wondering what great granddad would taste like in a bong.  The only reason to consider an upgrade would be if the grinder broke is some way that was impossible to fix, and this thing is built like a tank.

So, like I said, diminishing returns.  What I pull already beats what is sold here at some 99% of cafes.  Upgrade would get me what? Better than 99.5%? 99.9%?  Wouldn't really matter, because the day it showed up would be the day the wife killed me.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Fri Aug 2, 2013, 8:47am

I know it is important for a lot of people but money arguments are of no concern to me.

I am in it for the quality of the drink, I don't care about the money. I could have bought a good used car for the money that I have invested in coffee/espresso, a half a g lost or gained per shot, does not show up on my radar screen.

From everything you have said, your grinder is woefully missing the boat for espresso.

In the end, it is your mouth you need to please and if, for you, you are happy, then that is all that counts for you.

Enjoy!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

jmjdubai

Posted Mon Aug 12, 2013, 12:43am

I have used vanilla in coffee. Trust me it was awesome!!!. Now let me try adding some honey also instead of sugar :) Thanks ya for that wonderful combination.
DavecUK

Posted Mon Aug 12, 2013, 3:41am

I keep hoping the "effluent" word will get removed from this post, although effluent is part of my morning routine, it has nothing to do with my coffee.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/effluent

We wouldn't want people to think  were adding effluent <chuckle>
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Mon Aug 12, 2013, 1:45pm

Well, the "drinks from a green colored coffee shop better fit the definition of effluent than they do espresso, a lot of the time :D
I am pretty sure though, if you look where the OP is from, it is simply a translation error, nothing more ;D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

DavecUK

Posted Mon Aug 12, 2013, 4:19pm

calblacksmith Said:

Well, the "drinks from a green colored coffee shop better fit the definition of effluent than they do espresso, a lot of the time :D
I am pretty sure though, if you look where the OP is from, it is simply a translation error, nothing more ;D

Posted August 12, 2013 link

Yes, I guessed at a translation error, just saw the funny side of it....however, I did (in the interests of science) try the "effluent" portion of the shot with Vanilla (bean paste) and Honey.....gaaah!!!

But, each to his own...
Flori

Posted Mon Aug 12, 2013, 4:45pm

we all have some preference with regards to what we add on our coffee. glad to hear you found a mix that works for you.

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com
Laowai

Posted Sat Aug 17, 2013, 11:11pm

DavecUK Said:

Yes, I guessed at a translation error, just saw the funny side of it....however, I did (in the interests of science) try the "effluent" portion of the shot with Vanilla (bean paste) and Honey.....gaaah!!!

But, each to his own...

Posted August 12, 2013 link

Oh, no mistranslation there.  Effluent is effluent.  It's the crap that's left once the good stuff is gone, it's liquid waste and little more.  Might as well be the second pot off of used grounds.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Honey, Vanilla...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.314373016357)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+