Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Starbucks
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Starbucks  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
EndTwo

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Apscaso uno steel prof
Grinder: Mazzer Major DR + Mahlkönig...
Drip: french press, ceramic v60...
Roaster: skillet
Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 1:13am
Subject: Starbucks

Well I finaly got the opportunity. Since we got no Starbucks here, but I transited in Amsterdam airport during vacation I couldnt resist trying a Starbucks cappocino... No sirups and stuff, just milk and coffee... And the experience was kinda unique. Scolding milk with a semi taste of burnt and a hint of stale coffee somewhere in there... I knew it wasnt going to be good, I knew I would regret it, but seriously? They can actually make a good buisness out of *that* ?!

Well it made me a lot more knowledgeable when it came to CG references... :)

Just had to share.
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 9:22am
Subject: Re: Starbucks

EndTwo Said:

Well I finaly got the opportunity. Since we got no Starbucks here, but I transited in Amsterdam airport during vacation I couldnt resist trying a Starbucks cappocino... No sirups and stuff, just milk and coffee... And the experience was kinda unique. Scolding milk with a semi taste of burnt and a hint of stale coffee somewhere in there... I knew it wasnt going to be good, I knew I would regret it, but seriously? They can actually make a good buisness out of *that* ?!

Well it made me a lot more knowledgeable when it came to CG references... :)

Just had to share.

Posted July 21, 2013 link

Starbucks is in the business of selling better tasting caffeine delivery vehicles.   That's their niche and they do it extremely well.  

FWIW their Espresso Roast is about the best coffee they sell.  It really is not that bad, done as a drip or pour over.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 9:50am

Len, thanks for editting that post!  I had a whole counter-rant for you, but then saw you removed some things.  Just to mention one rebuttal...I didn't get my start at *$$, and never went there often.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 9:58am

emradguy Said:

Len, thanks for editting that post!  I had a whole counter-rant for you, but then saw you removed some things.  Just to mention one rebuttal...I didn't get my start at *$$, and never went there often.

Yeah, good thing for the edit button. ;)  

The espresso roast is really not that bad. Years ago their original house blend was their most popular coffee; I am kind of surprised they replaced it with Pikes Place.  The House Blend was very high in caffeine (got ya hooked); and I thought it even tasted better than their pike.  Before I ever got into roasting I certainly was addicted to it.  A while after I got into roasting I happened to stop at a Starbucks for a fix, and they had their Espresso Roast as a drip (they don't do it often).  It actually was quite good.  I even bought some of the beans once and ground it for drip when I was in a bind.  Again, quite good.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Burner0000

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 10:54am

I have only liked their Sumatra which they occasionally offer as drip.  Not sure if they do that anymore. I haven't been there in years.  They do have good tumblers though.  :)  IMO Starbucks is the top end of commercial quality coffee.  Would I go there over home roasting no.. But travelling I don't mind their coffee.  Coffee wise they smoke Timmies. Oh and I am a sucker for their pastries!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 11:56am

Burner0000 Said:

I have only liked their Sumatra which they occasionally offer as drip.  Not sure if they do that anymore. I haven't been there in years.  They do have good tumblers though.  :)  IMO Starbucks is the top end of commercial quality coffee.  Would I go there over home roasting no.. But travelling I don't mind their coffee.  Coffee wise they smoke Timmies. Oh and I am a sucker for their pastries!

I agree, they are the top end of commercial coffee.  I used to go to Starbucks about once every other week and have their House Blend (when they used to have it), and also their Pikes Place.  Sometimes their blondes.  However ever since I got my Technivorm I have not gone to Starbucks.  I now drink my coffee black (I used to drink it always with milk, sometimes sweetener at Starbucks).  I really don't think drinking their coffee black will cut it, and I don't want to go back to milk in the coffee even just for them.

Len

EndTwo

Espresso: Apscaso uno steel prof
Grinder: Mazzer Major DR + Mahlkönig...
Drip: french press, ceramic v60...
Roaster: skillet
Posted Sun Jul 21, 2013, 1:12pm

Im gonna take some kind of wierd stand here and agree with Lens original post. It is lame just to bash out with no reason, and for that I do apologize. I had a couple of hours to kill in Amsterdam, and wanted to taste what the whole you-can-always-do-better-than-starbucks was about. I had low expectations, but what I got was yet lower. And in some havent-really-written-anything-on-CG-in-a-week blackout, I actually thought it had some value, go figure. In retrospective, I always kinda knew it hadnt. Had that hope, that the post would just slide to page 2-3-4 without beeing noticed. Thats a bad sign, well we all f*** up sometimes :)

I had a whole other angle on your wife/mother thingie, but I'll let it all be, as you editted your post, Len.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 11:49am

As once upon a time, I used to like Starbucks and have moved past, way past them, am I allowed to bash them? LOL!
I have tried a few times in the last year or so to find something, anything that I may like to drink there, even their pour over is nasty. I have said many times, and I mean it, I would rather stop at AM/PM or 7-11 than a Starbucks. The quality is better, there are just as many if not more stores to choose from and you are not paying the inflated price either. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 8:59am

Like Starbucks? Try reading this article. The author found Starbucks plaques [C.A.F.E. (Coffee and Farmer Equity)] on farmhouses in the Nariņo area. From the article, a notable quote from a Colombian coffee farmer with that plaque attached to their home: "We were promised Starbucks was going to help us years ago. We're still waiting." Some of them have never even heard of Starbucks even though the plaque was attached to their homes as well. The company is flashing lights, thundering noise, glaring flames, and explosions on the retail front, but it is just a deceptive man behind a curtain.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Jul 23, 2013, 9:07am

calblacksmith Said:

As once upon a time, I used to like Starbucks and have moved past, way past them, am I allowed to bash them? LOL!
I have tried a few times in the last year or so to find something, anything that I may like to drink there, even their pour over is nasty. I have said many times, and I mean it, I would rather stop at AM/PM or 7-11 than a Starbucks. The quality is better, there are just as many if not more stores to choose from and you are not paying the inflated price either. YMMV!

Posted July 22, 2013 link

No doubt, Starbucks is bottom of the barrel, I could barely drink it even before I got into coffee. And last two time's I went I got straight black, which even mixing with sweetener and milk did not help the burnt log taste. And pour over next, blechhhh. I can drink a Frap there but at that point there's so much stuff added in it doesn't even resemble coffee anymore lol. When we travel we always Google for local roasters/coffee houses in the areas we're gonna be in.

I'll go to Dunkin Donuts or McDs etc easily over Charbucks.

Worst is when they sell Jamaican Blue etc, rip off, and if you buy a bag it's like 40 or 50 bucks for having that same Charbucks charm of stale burnt beans. I mean heck if your gonna do expensive JB at least try to attempt to do a decent job of roasting. I can tolerate their Anniversary Blend if it's worst case scenario and forgot to fresh order in time. But no point really when I have a few coffee places around me that get fresh beans in from roasters that I can buy, and for less money then *bucks charges for a pound.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Starbucks  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.331029176712)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+