Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Hello coffeegeeks (newbie intro)...
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Hello...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jtferraro

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Starbucks (Saeco) Barista,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Aerobie Aero Press
Drip: Bonavita Thermal
Roaster: none
Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 4:15pm
Subject: Re: Hello coffeegeeks (newbie intro)...

D4F Said:

You can search pressure profiling and dimmer and see possible electronic solutions, also pressure or pump and PWM.  Sometimes it is best to use what you have and save for the next machine.  There are threads on Starbucks Barista and pressurized PF and un-pressurizing.

Posted July 7, 2013 link

Thanks.  What does 'PWM' stand for?  I agree re: sometimes it's best to use what you have and save for te next machine - don't want to get carried away here!
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 6:52pm

jtferraro Said:

SingleBoiler(DU?)

That's cool the Gaggia Classic comes with an OPV.  I like that said machine also utilizes a 58mm non-pressurized PF.  2 merits right there.  That said, I wish the steam wand wasn't the newer Pannarello style.  Am I correct that this can be seen as the steaming equivalent to the pressurized PF?  Does the Sylvia also come equipped with a OPV?

Assuming there are merits to a HX over a dual/double boiler (price?), and vice-versa (no compromise?)?

Thanks gang.  This is fun!

Posted July 7, 2013 link

Single Boiler Dual/Double Use where the boiler is the brew boiler and steam boiler, as opposed to dual boiler, or Hx.  

I would not equate the Pannarello arm to Pressurized, but cheaper and a try at easier steaming, not fake steam.

PMW pulse width modulated a way to modulate power.  You can look up PMW and power or pump, or pressure.  There is also a thread on PWM control of the element/heater to gain some control.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
jtferraro

Posted Mon Jul 8, 2013, 9:09am

OK, now I'm beginning to question my machine!  Even if I upgrade my PF to a non-pressurized model, the machine will still be pushing out hot water @15 bar, correct?  Assuming so, this is too much pressure (9 is ideal?) and will keep extractions relatively short, thereby limiting the quality of shot produced?  Of course I realize this can be somewhat controlled via a finer grind and harder tamp, but would that still leave a lot to be desired re: shot quality?

Thanks
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Mon Jul 8, 2013, 6:50pm

jtferraro Said:

OK, now I'm beginning to question my machine!  Even if I upgrade my PF to a non-pressurized model, the machine will still be pushing out hot water @15 bar, correct?  Assuming so, this is too much pressure (9 is ideal?) and will keep extractions relatively short, thereby limiting the quality of shot produced?  Of course I realize this can be somewhat controlled via a finer grind and harder tamp, but would that still leave a lot to be desired re: shot quality?

Thanks,

Posted July 8, 2013 link

Not that you can't get some drinkable cappuccinos with your Barista, and the mods mentioned above would help, but you are beginning to see the limitations you're dealing with. I would read the threads of other Barista owners and the mods they've done and maybe consider some of them yourself. Take your time and enjoy what you've got for now- don't get frustrated! Enjoy the journey.

Of course if you're ready for a step up we always like helping people spend their money :-)

Ron
D4F

Posted Mon Jul 8, 2013, 7:11pm

So, back to square one?  You have a machine though not the greatest for even SBDU.  You need a grinder and you should get at minimum a Baratza Preciso Refurb.  The grinder fortunately will be useful with other machines when/if you upgrade.  If you get a different machine first, you will not benefit much without a grinder.

There are threads about your machine and other others not so very adjustable, at least easily adjustable.  Look at the EC155 thread.  The machine is adequate but yes, more difficult to use with a non-adjustable OPV.  That said, does the machine produce 15 bar at the puck?  Is its valve at the pump set lower?  Most vib pumps produce 15 bar and the wording often references that fact, 15 bar pump.  The valve may be set lower to be a safety outlet for the pump.

I think that you can get quality espresso, but you will work harder to do it than with all of the features, PID temperature adjustment, adjustable pressure, 3 way relief valve, non-pressurized PF...  Yes you will need a finer grind and probably tighter control of grind as the machine becomes a bit more difficult.  

If you are ready to upgrade, look at your budget and usage and read the introduction thread for information needed to get good advice.

I was on the phone too long from writing to posting so this is similar to CoffeeRon.  Guess you get similar ideas from two of us :)

D4F also at
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Mon Jul 8, 2013, 7:15pm

+1 on grinder first!
jtferraro

Posted Mon Jul 8, 2013, 8:07pm

Thanks guys.  Yes, I will definitely soon be purchasing a Precisio, as that's the priority.  How does the Gaggia Classic compare to my machine?  It's on sale for $379 and has the following advantages: 58mm non-pressurized PF, OPV (9 bar at grouphead?), and 3 way relief/solenoid valve.  Alternatively, I still like the thought of keeping my Barista and taking it as far as I can go (enjoying the journey).  My thoughts are more inline with deciding if purchasing a $60 non-pressurized PF and expensive 53mm RB tamper (guess I can still keep the handle) are worthwhile if I soon thereafter decide to upgrade my machine.
D4F

Posted Mon Jul 8, 2013, 9:25pm

Will the Classic meet your needs?  It is not much of an upgrade unless you see it serving you for years. The Classic works for me as does the Preciso.  You will not likely be happy for long without a PID on an SBDU machine.  Ignorance is bliss and your bliss is gone :)

You should read and consider this.  

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/620441

Will you be happy with SBDU and does it meet your needs?

Sounds like you are between the Classic and and $60 on your machine.  The tamper needed either way, similar cost but different size.  If you "enjoy the journey" and that includes DIY, consider a PID on your machine that you can remove and reuse.  DIY PID for about $75 - 100.

D4F also at
D4F

Posted Tue Jul 9, 2013, 10:22am

Similarly

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

D4F also at
jtferraro

Posted Thu Jul 11, 2013, 4:08am

OK, I'm back after reading through the links you provided.  Thank you!  

Will the Classic meet all my ultimate needs?  Likely not, but I'm not sure how 'into' this I'll get.  I wish the Classic's frothing wand was on a ball joint, like my Barista's (and would prefer if it wasn't Pannarello style).  You're right though - it's not 'enough' of an upgrade.  I think I'd like my next machine to offer the Classic's features and additionally be an HX or DB with an E61 brewhead (which I just read the history of).  It can't be monstrous machine since we have a relatively small house (built in 1940) and I don't want it to look like it's taking over the kitchen.  While I'd love direct plumbing, I don't know if it's feasible.  Would I be able to tap into my refridgerators cold water/ice line?  If so, perhaps I'd consider one of those machines that has a water resevoir but can also go the direct connect route.  Those smaller Alex and Quick Mill machines are nice.  Anyway... I still have a lot to learn and will keep my Barista for a while, trying to take it as far as it can go, without going overboard!

-Jeff
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Hello...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket Espresso Machines
Free extended warranty & free shipping. Contact us for best prices.
espressooutlet.net
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.301957130432)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+