Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Hello coffeegeeks (newbie intro)...
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Hello...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CoffeeRon

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Wed Jul 3, 2013, 4:55pm
Subject: Re: Hello coffeegeeks (newbie intro)...

A number of years ago the Rocky was considered one of the best entry level grinders. Things have changed a lot. There are quite a number of former Rocky owners who post here and most have nothing good to say about them. The biggest beef is with the big stepped settings.

The Preciso is stepped but the micro steps are very close. I've never heard one complaint about the steps being too far apart. I don't own a Preciso but I do have two Virtuosos (just picked one up on ebay with the Preciso burrs for $50, just needed a few dollars in parts and a half hour to make it right!) they may not be solid steel but they are very well built in my opinion and give a good grind. Baratza customer service is super (I would avoid Pierce though if you have any real problems). So my vote is Definitely for the Preciso.

As for the tamper only thing I have heard that goes beyond personal preference is that some say your tamper should match your shower screen. If your screen is flat go flat, if it's rounded get convex. I generally prefer flat but I picked up a used Espro Tamper that's convex and don't really notice a difference. Early on in my journey I used a convex for a bit and struggled with it more than a flat one for some reason.

Sorry if I seem to be rambling a bit, hope this helps with your questions.

Cheers, Ron

PS:  I should mention Baratza offers refurbs on their website for a good price. The refurbs are as good as new or better. Refurbs are posted Thursday mornings, so if you're looking and don't see one that would be the time to look.
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 6:26am

BTW! If you deside on a  Baratza contact the dealer and see if they have any refurbs in stock.  You may get a deal.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
jtferraro

Espresso: Starbucks (Saeco) Barista,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Aerobie Aero Press
Drip: Bonavita Thermal
Roaster: none
Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 8:52pm

CoffeeRon Said:

A number of years ago the Rocky was considered one of the best entry level grinders. Things have changed a lot. There are quite a number of former Rocky owners who post here and most have nothing good to say about them. The biggest beef is with the big stepped settings.

The Preciso is stepped but the micro steps are very close. I've never heard one complaint about the steps being too far apart. I don't own a Preciso but I do have two Virtuosos (just picked one up on ebay with the Preciso burrs for $50, just needed a few dollars in parts and a half hour to make it right!) they may not be solid steel but they are very well built in my opinion and give a good grind. Baratza customer service is super (I would avoid Pierce though if you have any real problems). So my vote is Definitely for the Preciso.

As for the tamper only thing I have heard that goes beyond personal preference is that some say your tamper should match your shower screen. If your screen is flat go flat, if it's rounded get convex. I generally prefer flat but I picked up a used Espro Tamper that's convex and don't really notice a difference. Early on in my journey I used a convex for a bit and struggled with it more than a flat one for some reason.

Sorry if I seem to be rambling a bit, hope this helps with your questions.

Cheers, Ron

PS:  I should mention Baratza offers refurbs on their website for a good price. The refurbs are as good as new or better. Refurbs are posted Thursday mornings, so if you're looking and don't see one that would be the time to look.

Posted July 3, 2013 link

Great info - thanks Ron.  You weren't rambling at all.  I appreciate your advice and I'm definitely thinking the Precisio might be the grinder for me, at this time.  Re: the refurbished models Baratza offers - when I factored in shipping, the difference in price between them and new ones is only $43, so I'd rather go the new route.  Burner0000, are Baratza dealers (SCG, WholeLatteLove) likely to offer a better deal on a refurb?

Re: tamper base shape...when you say 'shower screen', your referring to the screen on the group head in which the water sprays through, correct?  Initially I thought you may be referring to the portailter basket shape.

Thanks again,

-Jeff
CoffeeRon

Posted Thu Jul 4, 2013, 10:56pm

Yes I'm referring to the screen in the grouphead. It's something I read here one time, there isn't really much talk on the subject- mostly it's a matter of preference.

The only source for Baratza refurbs is thru Baratza AFAIK.

I'm happy to help. I started out with a SB Barista myself but the bug hit me hard and fast and I was soon looking for an HX machine. The best place in my kitchen for a machine is easily plumbable and I soon found my used plumb only Wega here on the BST.
jtferraro

Posted Sat Jul 6, 2013, 9:05pm

CoffeeRon Said:

Yes I'm referring to the screen in the grouphead. It's something I read here one time, there isn't really much talk on the subject- mostly it's a matter of preference.

The only source for Baratza refurbs is thru Baratza AFAIK.

I'm happy to help. I started out with a SB Barista myself but the bug hit me hard and fast and I was soon looking for an HX machine. The best place in my kitchen for a machine is easily plumbable and I soon found my used plumb only Wega here on the BST.

Posted July 4, 2013 link

Ron,

Since you previously owned a Barista, do you recall if the screen was flat?  I believe it is, but I'm not sure if I would need to physically remove it to determine if that's officially the case.  

Like you, the bug has hit me too but I'm trying to take smaller steps, for now.  'HX' stands for 'heat exchange' machine, correct?  Cool.

Thanks
CoffeeRon

Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 11:26am

jtferraro Said:

Ron,

Since you previously owned a Barista, do you recall if the screen was flat?  I believe it is, but I'm not sure if I would need to physically remove it to determine if that's officially the case.  

Like you, the bug has hit me too but I'm trying to take smaller steps, for now.  'HX' stands for 'heat exchange' machine, correct?  Cool.

Thanks,

Posted July 6, 2013 link

Hi Jeff,
 Yes the screen in the Barista is flat. Once you have a grinder, you may want to take the guts out of the pressurized portafilter. You'll still be dealing with too high a brew pressure though, so I always viewed that as a two-edged sword.

Yes HX stands for heat exchange. The brew water runs through a tube in the boiler, heating it to the proper temp as the espresso pours.

Enjoy the journey,
                  Ron
jtferraro

Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 11:55am

CoffeeRon Said:

Hi Jeff,
 Yes the screen in the Barista is flat. Once you have a grinder, you may want to take the guts out of the pressurized portafilter. You'll still be dealing with too high a brew pressure though, so I always viewed that as a two-edged sword.

Yes HX stands for heat exchange. The brew water runs through a tube in the boiler, heating it to the proper temp as the espresso pours.

Enjoy the journey,
                  Ron

Posted July 7, 2013 link

Ron, is the brew pressure something I can adjust?  I'm assuming you're referring to an inherit issue of this particular machine, as opposed to the modified PF, correct?  

Can you steam and brew concurrently with a HX machine?

Thanks
CoffeeRon

Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 1:21pm

jtferraro Said:

Ron, is the brew pressure something I can adjust?  I'm assuming you're referring to an inherit issue of this particular machine, as opposed to the modified PF, correct?  

Can you steam and brew concurrently with a HX machine?

Thanks,

Posted July 7, 2013 link

As with most lower end SBDU machines the brew pressure on the Barista is not adjustable. That would require an adjustable overpressure valve. Some manufacturer decided 15 bars of pressure sounded like a good selling point to unknowing consumers so unfortunately many low end machines brew at that pressure.

You will hear many people suggest going to a non-pressurized portafilter. In my personal opinion going with a non-pressurized portafilter at 15 bars pressure is not going to be good. I actually upgraded before I did any real comparison taste testing to prove this theory, but it is still my opinion.

The Gaggia classics have an adjustable OPV, and owners of other Gaggias w/o the adj. OPV have changed them out. You may be able to do the same with the Barista if you were so inclined.

Yes the HX machines can brew and steam concurrently, the boiler stays at steam temp., while the HX tube heats the brew water to brew temp. while passing thru the boiler.

Hope this helps some,
                   Ron
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 1:46pm

You can mod the machine a bit to change pressure if you like to do that sort of thing.  Of course you need to be handy and spend some money.  There are fairly universal OPV's such as below.

Click Here (www.chriscoffee.com)

Click Here (espressocare.com)

You would need to figure the fittings.  The Gaggias mentioned have an OPV that bolts to the boiler and is an easy add on, but more money and will not help you.

You can search pressure profiling and dimmer and see possible electronic solutions, also pressure or pump and PWM.  Sometimes it is best to use what you have and save for the next machine.  There are threads on Starbucks Barista and pressurized PF and un-pressurizing.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
jtferraro

Posted Sun Jul 7, 2013, 5:06pm

CoffeeRon Said:

As with most lower end SBDU machines the brew pressure on the Barista is not adjustable. That would require an adjustable overpressure valve. Some manufacturer decided 15 bars of pressure sounded like a good selling point to unknowing consumers so unfortunately many low end machines brew at that pressure.

You will hear many people suggest going to a non-pressurized portafilter. In my personal opinion going with a non-pressurized portafilter at 15 bars pressure is not going to be good. I actually upgraded before I did any real comparison taste testing to prove this theory, but it is still my opinion.

The Gaggia classics have an adjustable OPV, and owners of other Gaggias w/o the adj. OPV have changed them out. You may be able to do the same with the Barista if you were so inclined.

Yes the HX machines can brew and steam concurrently, the boiler stays at steam temp., while the HX tube heats the brew water to brew temp. while passing thru the boiler.

Hope this helps some,
                   Ron

Posted July 7, 2013 link

SingleBoiler(DU?)

That's cool the Gaggia Classic comes with an OPV.  I like that said machine also utilizes a 58mm non-pressurized PF.  2 merits right there.  That said, I wish the steam wand wasn't the newer Pannarello style.  Am I correct that this can be seen as the steaming equivalent to the pressurized PF?  Does the Sylvia also come equipped with a OPV?

Assuming there are merits to a HX over a dual/double boiler (price?), and vice-versa (no compromise?)?

Thanks gang.  This is fun!
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Hello...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.329054832458)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+