Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
HELP! Friend is opening a baked goods shop and needs help w coffee setup
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > HELP! Friend is...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Elyse2254

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 4:07pm
Subject: HELP! Friend is opening a baked goods shop and needs help w coffee setup

Hello,

So, a friend asked for help and is paying me to help set up the coffee bar part of their drink/baked goods/flavored soda shop. The fun part is, there are 3 owners in the business and NONE of them drink coffee/it's technically against their religion (oy vey).

Anyway, I feel I would know where to start if they were going for a gourmet coffee bar, and if they had baristas that would actually be tasting the coffee. I would research local roasters and pick the best one and let them work it out between amongst themselves...

Unfortunately, this is not the case and they would like something that tastes good, is cost effective and automatic ... but they will not be tasting themselves...  tricky, right?

Does anyone know if there are coffee roasters that provide equipment rental for free/cheap if you market their brand of coffee? Kind of like a coke dispenser set up? (I doubt it, but this is what they wanted me to look for first)

or

Does anyone have suggestions for reasonably-priced commercial super-automatic espresso machines that are reliable?  Any online espresso and drip coffee vendor suggestions?

An important thing to note is that the demographic is in an area that will probably not have a super high demand for coffee. So, I am thinking the machine only needs to handle less than 100 cups/day.

The shop is an hour from my home, so I am setting them up and wont be able to see the follow through and I really want to set them up with something easy, but good quality.

My next thought was to just suggest to them: sell what you know. Stick with your drinks, baked goods and smoothies and just provide the drip coffee so you have the option.

ANY suggestions would be helpful!

Best,

Elyse
 View Profile Link to this post
Flori

Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 9:45pm
Subject: Re: HELP! Friend is opening a baked goods shop and needs help w coffee setup

Congratulations on your friends new business.  You have certainly come to the right place. I am sure ideas will come in for you in no time. Good luck!

Flori
Blogger, CoffeeLoversOfWorld.com
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 10:19pm
Subject: Re: HELP! Friend is opening a baked goods shop and needs help w coffee setup

Elyse2254 Said:

Anyway, I feel I would know where to start if they were going for a gourmet coffee bar, and if they had baristas that would actually be tasting the coffee.

Posted June 21, 2013 link

Well, work out the costs.. If there isn't any market for it, then I don't see the benefit of investing the money into the business if they're not going to move product. Especially if the owners have no passion for it.

Elyse2254 Said:

My next thought was to just suggest to them: sell what you know. Stick with your drinks, baked goods and smoothies and just provide the drip coffee so you have the option.

Posted June 21, 2013 link

You know what? This is the best suggestion. The investment to making drip coffee is quite cheap and has the potential of yielding high return. That's the best advice.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
medxpower
medxpower
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 11:37pm

Congratulations, for your friends new business. You are at right place to get many good Ideas from different minds,

Wholesale Generic Pharmacy Click Here (www.medxpower.com)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Buckley

Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 4:31am

Dear Elyse,

This recommendation comes from someone with absolutely no experience with retail or retail coffee.
Your last thought on your original post struck a chord with me and prompted this post.
When friends ask me for advice, I tend to be as protective toward their welfare as I can; more so than I would be for myself.
Since there will be no oversight to the coffee, simple is good.  A good role model is Dunkin Donuts: automatic drip, quality (within the purview of retail) coffee, and a new (small) pot every 30 minutes.
I am told that they will get to know what times of day the coffee-drinkers will come in and when to leave the pot empty.
It is said by those in the business that restaurants break even on food and make their profit on alcohol.  I know a baked goods shop is not a restaurant, but, as long as they are selling interdicted drinks to 'infidels' ;), perhaps some wine coolers among the smoothies might boost their margin.  Beer would not go with baked goods, except for a few die-hards.
If I came into your friends' shop, I would be more impressed with competent modesty than in blundered pretension.
Good Luck,
Buck
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 4:58am

I don't see how anyone can make good espresso without tasting it...except by sheer luck. The best advice you can give your friends is to not attempt it by themselves. Now, if they're planning to hire a few qualified baristi...well, that's a different matter. Drip,as suggested by you and others, is probably doable...but still ought to be tasted to assure consistent quality. Having said all that, I (like Buckley) have absolutely no business or food service experience.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 10:16am

Agreed.  Unless they find a barista that is passionate about coffee they should skip the espresso.  Drip is pretty easy and the drip drinking public is pretty forgiving about it as long as it is hot and not over boiled or stale.  

On the other hand:

They could sublease that space to a coffee cart type espresso bar.  I am sure there are local roasters that would help them get into a machine and service it if they find a barista business partner instead of a sublease.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue Jun 25, 2013, 11:47am

The best advice in this case seems to be: don't.

Superautos tend to be mediocre at best to begin with and when you add business owners that don't care about coffee, things only slide downhill from there and you can't call the result "gourmet".  Commercial superautos suited to the job are not inexpensive (expect >$10K).  I don't get why you're trying to force this on them.  Unless they're passionate about the coffee it won't help their business.  If the market doesn't have much demand then why toss this in?  There are already countless shops with poor to mediocre espresso served by those that don't care.

Additionally, if a business is counting on income from a machine then the machine needs reliable local support.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > HELP! Friend is...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.256489038467)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+