Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Am I nuts?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Am I nuts?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
GlowingGhoul

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 9:55am
Subject: Am I nuts?

I love coffee.  I began paying attention to the quality of the drip coffee I was drinking by the gallon, and slowly made improvements over the years...better machine (Bunn A-10), better grinder (Kitchenaid "Pro" burr), filtered water, better beans.

Then I discovered espresso based drinks and fell in love with the richness of the experience.

So, after perusing these and other coffee forums, I decided doing espresso the "real" way was too daunting, so I got the top of the line Nespresso machine from Delonghi. Much better!....for a little while. Café cappa's just tasted much better, and took the shine off Nespresso.

OK, it must be fresh roasted coffee versus the capsules making the difference.

Out with the Nespresso, in with a Jura XS90 superauto. A little dialing in of the grinder and "strength"(quantity of grounds) setting, using fresh locally roasted beans, and definitely an improvement over Nespresso.

While I was at a local restaurant picking up a bag of fresh roasted beans (they are his distributer), they made me a Cappacino that blew away what I'm making at home.

So now after researching for months, I'm looking at a plumbed in La Spaz S1 Dream with rotary pump, and a Compak K10 Fresh grinder.

Am I crazy? Is this finally going to produce the same quality of espresso as the average coffee bar, or am I going to be disappointed and be told I need a GS/3 to get what I'm looking for (which is way out of my price range). I just want good quality espresso I can easily duplicate with every shot. My head's not clear in the morning and I need to automate as much as possible. I'm thinking fill portafilter, tamp, into S1 and push a button to brew while steaming milk.
 View Profile Link to this post
dyqik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 10:54am
Subject: Re: Am I nuts?

Any reasonable manual/semi-auto machine where you have control of the bean freshness, the grinder, dosing, tamping and the pour itself is going to give you a result miles beyond a superauto or nespresso machine. You probably don't need to go as far as the La Spaz S1 and the K10 to get that improvement.  On the other hand, that's no reason not to...

As for your general sanity - that needs more data. ;)
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 11:58am

GlowingGhoul Said:

...<snip familiar story>... So now after researching for months, I'm looking at a plumbed in La Spaz S1 Dream with rotary pump, and a Compak K10 Fresh grinder.

Posted June 21, 2013 link

"It's deja vu all over again."

Am I crazy? Is this finally going to produce the same quality of espresso as the average coffee bar, or am I going to be disappointed and be told I need a GS/3 to get what I'm looking for.

If you are, then I will save you a suite at the "RedRoof RubberRoom Inn."

Just about any dual boiler, PID equipped machine will likely out perform 95% (dare I say 98.5%) of any coffee shop. The K-10 Fresh is also an excellent grinder. From there is will just take high-quality, fresh coffee beans and lots of experience. Espresso is a journey, and if it does nothing else, is proven by my website.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 12:19pm

yeah, visit his website...seriously! It's got tons of awesome info, some of which will help you right off the bat (for instance, article 12, Easy Guide to Better Espresso at Home).

Agree with the other posts...that with the La Spaz/K10 combo you suggest the only thing that would limit you getting something better than just about every cafe you'll ever visit wil be you. There are 4 key components that go into espresso: mischela (blend), maccinazione (grinder), machina (machine), and mano (you).  As they also mentiond, there are other purcahse options that will put in you in a similar position.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Fri Jun 21, 2013, 9:57pm

GlowingGhoul Said:

So now after researching for months, I'm looking at a plumbed in La Spaz S1 Dream with rotary pump, and a Compak K10 Fresh grinder.

That is a very decent choice. I agree with the other posters, anything you make with that set up will usually match or exceed the quality of what you'll get in a coffee shop.
Especially if you are paying close attention to your grind, dosage and shot volumes.

GlowingGhoul Said:

Am I crazy?

Nope, you're just taking coffee seriously and making it with prosumer grade (I'd even dare say low-end professional) equipment.

GlowingGhoul Said:

be told I need a GS/3 to get what I'm looking for (which is way out of my price range).

It is my own personal experience that you get a better cup with a better grinder than you do a better machine. I mentioned this on another thread, but I noticed more
of a difference going from a $350 grinder (A Rancilio Rocky) to a $1100 grinder (A Mazzer Mini E) than I did from my Rancilio Silvia ($640 new) to my Izzo Alex Duetto. ($2500 new)

IMHO, I honestly think that a GS/3 is complete overkill for the home and only really is beneficial if you make lots and lots of coffee. Between a GS/3 and a La Spaz, I don't think
you would be able to tell the difference.

Now, between something like a Compak K10 Fresh and a Versalab, hard to say... That's a whole other debate...

I'm at the point myself where I'm contemplating upgrading my grinder, but I'm worried about how badly my wife will maim me. :)

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 3:08pm

qualin Said:

I'm at the point myself where I'm contemplating upgrading my grinder, but I'm worried about how badly my wife will maim me. :)

"If she is a coffee drinker, and you choose a grinder of which she disapproves, the wrong choice was of the wife."
            - from the soon-to-be-released book, "The Single man's Corollary - A Guide to Coffee and Divorce"

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sat Jun 22, 2013, 4:09pm

frcn Said:

"If she is a coffee drinker, and you choose a grinder of which she disapproves, the wrong choice was of the wife."
            - from the soon-to-be-released book, "The Single man's Corollary - A Guide to Coffee and Divorce"

Posted June 22, 2013 link

Please keep us posted of the release of your book! ;-)
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Jun 23, 2013, 10:06am

qualin Said:

<snip>
It is my own personal experience that you get a better cup with a better grinder than you do a better machine. I mentioned this on another thread, but I noticed more of a difference going from a $350 grinder (A Rancilio Rocky) to a $1100 grinder (A Mazzer Mini E) than I did from my Rancilio Silvia ($640 new) to my Izzo Alex Duetto. ($2500 new)

I think you need to make this more concise and let me quote it in my thread or better yet put it in your sig file.  This should be plastered all over this site.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 12:01pm

Quality SBDU, HX, or DB, all can produce great espresso with care on behalf of the one pulling the shots, provided they have a great grinder.

The choice of the above machine depends on what you want to drink. All will produce great straight shots. Add milk into the mix and you move to HX or DB, both make great milk drinks as well as straight shots, the difference between them is the way you like to work, neither is "better" than the other however one can be BETTER FOR THAT PERSON, depending on how ... they like to work.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
GlowingGhoul

Posted Mon Jun 24, 2013, 5:28pm

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and opinions with me.

Now I have another quandary. I'm wondering if a flat burr grinder like the K8 Fresh would be a better fit for me than the K10. I like the slower RPM, more powerful motor, and longer lasting burrs of the K10, BUT, I've seen some comments that suggest flat burrs bring out rounder, chocolate and spice flavors in espresso, and conicals accentuate fruity, brighter notes with many individual flavors. I prefer the types of flavors flat burrs are said to bring out.

Out of thousands of posts searched, I've only seen this mentioned a handful of times. I realize the coffee used will have the biggest impact on flavor, but do you find the flat vs conical flavor profile to be true? It's unlike me to go from a more expensive appliance to a cheaper one. If the flat burr K8 was as much as or more than the conical k10, I'd find it reassuringly expensive and it would be a no brainer :)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Am I nuts?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.375263929367)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+