Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
My buying experience today...wat.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > My buying...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Ristrettolover

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue May 28, 2013, 8:33pm
Subject: My buying experience today...wat.

Ordered a double ristretto and get given a double shot latte. When I complain, I get told by the girl that "that's not what a double ristretto is in this café". Wat. There's arguments about how to best make a ristretto, like either cutting the extraction early or changing grind fineness and tamping pressure, but it's universally agreed that it's black and shorter than espresso. She redid it and just gave me an espresso (which is fine - I usually order doppios or espressos the most at the moment), but I could scarcely believe that, coming from a coffee shop that does produce very good ristrettos, the guy who owns it knows his coffee, has two blends, a La Marzocco Linea Classic and Mazzer Macinacaffe grinders.

Anyway, rant over.
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue May 28, 2013, 10:54pm
Subject: Re: My buying experience today...wat.

It just goes to show that i's very difficult to get good staff.  :-J

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 8:05am

Yours is the normal result of a request that is not full of milk, I have heard the same "that is not how WE make (name your drink here) " excuse more times than I can count.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Ristrettolover

Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 8:27am

Tell me about it. Even my favourite espresso bar has some baristas (at a university so lots of part-time and therefore lots of baristas) that can turn a potential god-shot blend shot into a shot so terrible it's actually hard to finish.

I didn't push it too far (she tried lecturing me that I meant to ask for "a doppio, which is a double espresso"), but I was thinking "you can't just change the definition of a coffee because you didn't know how to make it/what it was" lol
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 10:24am

LOL,
Yes, I have, many times asked for a drink and when the suddenly lost expression appears on the face of the "barista" I ask if they know what I am asking and most do not so I explain it to them and even then, most get it wrong so I quit buying coffee at shops I don't know or know that they .... do it wrong :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Flori

Posted Sat Jun 1, 2013, 7:59pm

tell me about it :(. had this experience before so if i wanted to order something special or not usual, I usually look for the baristas that i know have worked at the coffee shop the longest. If i do not see him, well its a latte or cappuccino day for me :)

Flori
Blogger, CoffeeLoversOfWorld.com
alnica

Espresso: Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Porlex Mini
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Fri Jun 7, 2013, 12:23am

I recently went to a cafe in London often touted as the serving the best coffee you can get in this city of over 10 million. Confident about where I was I ordered a ristretto. The barista measured in the dose and the coffee began to extract. About half way through the shot, he pulled the cup away from underneath the group and let the rest of the espresso shot fall into the drip tray and handed me the 10mls or so of ristretto extracted in 10 seconds. I was shocked, more than anything because I thought I was in the best cafe in London/UK. So there you have it - a ristretto in famous Monmouth coffee. Avoid!
Ristrettolover

Posted Fri Jun 7, 2013, 7:47pm

Yeah, I usually do that too. This espresso bar on campus is my favourite coffee, but you have to check what barista is on, otherwise they can butcher an espresso or doppio easily (don't even think about asking for a ristretto or lungo).

Hahaha! Although, to be fair, that's really the only way commercial coffee shops can produce ristrettos. It's not like they can change the grind fineness for every customer. And unless they got orders for ristrettos often enough that it passed a cost-benefit analysis to but a whole new set of grinders x blend variations just for ristrettos, it wouldn't happen. Alas, I think ristrettos are a shot best left to the home barista :(
Ristrettolover

Posted Fri Jun 7, 2013, 7:50pm

(And lungos too).
alnica

Espresso: Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Porlex Mini
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Fri Jun 7, 2013, 8:17pm

alas you are probably right. i did have other expectations though since we are talking about what's supposed to be one of the best proper cafes in the uk.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > My buying...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.27557682991)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+