Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Am I right, or am I wrong?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Am I right, or...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue May 21, 2013, 5:38pm
Subject: Re: Am I right, or am I wrong?

I think he is saying that you can have a bit of sharp citrus taste that is nice and refreshing and not have it make your face pucker up like sucking a lemon.

I am seeing more sharp citrus tastes in coffee.  I would call it third wave, I don't like sour face puckering coffee.  I think there is a fine line between the two.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
pstam
pstam
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Tue May 21, 2013, 8:13pm

frcn Said:

"Trends" as reported in the media are very often driven by press releases by manufacturers, wholesalers and press agencies who look to drive sales. Imagine if Illy sent out a "new article" stating that their sales of light roasted coffee have risen 15% in the first quarter of 2013. it would send a ripple throughout the entire industry. Couldn't happen? Starbucks did it with their "Blond Roast" which a ridiculous serious of releases including a video featuring their master roaster. It was created to draw in the masses who are, for the most part, ignorant of nearly all things coffee except how to drink it. The roast level was fairly much the same as I (and MANY others) have been roasting coffee for espresso for over a decade.

Posted May 21, 2013 link

I think that I can understand it.  That is quite normal in this world.

frcn Said:

So we can say that there is a trend towards sour coffee, or we can see it as a trend towards people finally tasting what coffee has to offer. I have had some really great light roasts that bring out delightful citrus acidity that tastes like unsweetened oranges. There is an huge difference between that and "sour" coffee. If I had a coffee roasting company that "specialized" in buying low quality, inexpensive beans and over-roasting them to kill the bad flavors, I would market it as "the way coffee is meant to be" and release press statements about the "trend" towards sour coffee.

So two lessons here: Don't believe what you read about trends and high acid coffee doesn't have to be sour.

Posted May 21, 2013 link

I wonder that if any feedback from your local market about the responds of those acid and fruity coffee?

Another question is that our local coffee people suggest the lighter roast so that the coffee not only acid (not sour) but also almost no coffee tastes at all.  Is that similar to your experience or something different?
Or, asked by some people, what is the coffee tastes?  Is it bitter, chocolate, burnt, and some others, but none of coffee tastes itself?  That is to say, does the coffee taste exist? Or people simply recognize it as bitter, chocolate, burnt and so on?

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Frost
Frost
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 8:57am

I think it is no more complicated than ripening fruit; from sour green to tart,  sweet, syrup, to overripe.

For coffee there is a middle roast range where Balance, Character, Complexity, are optimum.
Depending on Origin, Roaster and Brewer to bring forth the optimum Character, and this is subject to wide interpretation. (There's also the issue of masking defect. Most coffee is not specialty grade.)

Why go to the extremes of burnt ash or sour green?
Depending on the bean, I find the best espresso roast development somewhere between City+ and Full City+.
From a complete first crack to the first snaps of second crack. From a balanced tart fruit through chocolate to spicy.  I've never been a fan of resinous, tarry, ashy roasts.  At the light end, I want at least a complete first crack to clear the green taste.
 View Profile Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Wed May 22, 2013, 9:17am

Peter I think if anything the interest in espresso is on the rise. Shops that sell these machines are doing fine.
The exposure that Starbucks has brought to the general population about espresso is a factor also. Even if
they over roast their beans they have increased awareness over all. Basing your conclusion on information online
may also need to be considered because you can find information to support almost any view it seems.
As far as extraction methods whether its an espresso machine, pour over,French press or a nice drip machine
if the beans arenít of good quality and roasted correctly ( this can be subjective ) then the coffee coming
from the method of extraction will also suffer. When you factor in correct technique, that is correct dosing and water temperature,
to name a few things the window potential for bad coffee widens.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Thu May 23, 2013, 8:50am

pstam Said:

Or, asked by some people, what is the coffee tastes?  Is it bitter, chocolate, burnt, and some others, but none of coffee tastes itself?  That is to say, does the coffee taste exist? Or people simply recognize it as bitter, chocolate, burnt and so on?

Posted May 21, 2013 link

http://www.sweetmarias.com/tastewheel2.jpg
http://www.sweetmarias.com/tastewheel1.jpg

The 'Coffee tastes' can be any/all of the above and more...

In terms of the taste range from very light to very dark roast, I want to make a clear point that all of the 'coffee tastes' are a product of the roasting process. Try brewing (infusing?) some green coffee if you really want to taste the 'origin character'.  You can follow the roast flavor progression from light to dark (loosely) on the taste wheel.

Coffee flavor transformation in roasting, the range and complexity of flavor, is truly unique and magical.
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Am I right, or...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.278847932816)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+