Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Favorite Coffee Subscription Service
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Favorite Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Thu May 9, 2013, 4:22pm
Subject: Favorite Coffee Subscription Service

My wonderful girlfriend gave me a three month subscription to Tonx and it's nearing it's end. I've really enjoyed the variety, although since it's mostly single origin, sometimes there are iffy ones for espresso. In fact, most seem to taste best in the Aeropress. However, at 24 dollars a month for 12 oz a month, I can't help but wonder what else is out there. I realize I could double the tonx for 38 or so a month but that's getting up there is price. Considering I live in Chicago, there are plenty of roasters out here but I like the subscription because it gives me stuff I wouldn't normally think to get.

Counter Culture was another one that I was interested in. I see they have an espresso subscription but it's unclear how it works. You pick 3 blends but do they all come at once?

Now for the main purpose of this thread. Has anyone tried other subscription based services and which do you like? Mostly Single Origin or do you go for a blend?

ps- I have seen the holiday guide here at coffeegeek but I wanted to hear some opinions on the forum. I respect the opinions here.
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Thu May 9, 2013, 10:09pm
Subject: Re: Favorite Coffee Subscription Service

Actually, this is very good: click here.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
brianl

Posted Fri May 10, 2013, 7:49am

Do you live in the states? I am wondering how the delivery would be. I would love to get an espresso subscription where they rotate the blends or at least give you the option too.
uscfroadie
uscfroadie
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Olympia Cremina, Breville...
Grinder: HG One (71mm), Forte, Zass...
Vac Pot: Nope
Drip: Nope
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri May 10, 2013, 8:56am

I used CCC's subscription years ago.  While I can't remember all of the details, I seem to recall you had the choice of how many bags per month you wanted delivered.  They came in one shipment (obviously to save on shipping charges).  I rotated through their espresso blends to test them all out and found the Toscano to be a distant favorite to the others.  Given, this was pre Apollo, which I really like as a straight shot or macchiato.  Overall, a great service, plus they threw in extra beans on occasion just because.  I remain one of their loyal customers today.

I've used GoCoffeeGo.com.  They have the availability of great rosters, but it's a crap shoot as to whether or not you'll like the coffee.  Also, a bit pricey versus going direct to the roasters they feature.  Delivery time was a little long compared to going direct, too - in the neighborhood of 6 days.  MistoBox is a similar service, but I have not used them.  Some folks reported 9-day delivery times for them.  That makes them useless to me.

Why not go to HBs list of recommended roasters found here to start running down the list, trying the most popular blends from each of them to determine your favorites?  The list contains bargains to exotics, so it really does have something for everyone.

I currently have 5 roasters that I buy from direct.  That avoids the middleman markup while still supporting the roaster.  Fresh coffee delivered in 3 days or less post roast date allows me to can the stuff I won't use for days to weeks.  Stash them in the deep freezer in canning jars and pull out a day ahead of time to thaw as needed.

Just my $.02
franky

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulser
Grinder: Mazzer/S Maestro+/Zass
Drip: Clarity
Posted Fri May 10, 2013, 9:49am

I used to get a sub from Coffee Emergency out of Nebraska, it has since changed to Cultiva,  and they offer the same type of plan. For espresso it averages to $18.33 a month for a full pound. I am not sure if shipping is included or not. I wish they told you about shipping without having to look to hard.

http://www.cultivacoffee.com/subscribe.html

ETA: OK, the shipping price is included. I just ordered a year of "Roaster's Choice - Premium Single Origins" for $240. One pound a month.  I remember the coffee as very good.
brianl

Posted Fri May 10, 2013, 11:30am

you'll have to let me know how you like Cultiva.

uscfroadie. Youre not the first one to bring up the CCC Toscano so I might need to sample that. I did the calcs and it comes to about 17 a month for one 12 oz bag (with shipping). I think that might be good to sample. It looks like you can change it each month too.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon May 13, 2013, 6:30am

brianl Said:

Do you live in the states? I am wondering how the delivery would be. I would love to get an espresso subscription where they rotate the blends or at least give you the option too.

Posted May 10, 2013 link

As far as I now they deliver freshly roasted beans worldwide.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Favorite Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.252016067505)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+