Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
New to forum, and sharing a great coffee experience!
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > New to forum,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
LKing

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Mar 27, 2013, 11:36am
Subject: New to forum, and sharing a great coffee experience!

Greetings :-)

I've been lurking around the forum for a bit doing some research on espresso machines, and finally signed up. I think I'm starting to become a bit of a coffee snob, lol.

So, I've been doing research on machines as I mentioned, but also grinders (I'd been using a cheapy blade grinder forever). There seems to be a ton of great espresso machines out there but I was constrained by (1) not having enough counter space, and (2) not wanting to spend a bunch. I came across a number of posts on the fantastic little Aeropress and after reading a ton of reviews and peoples experiences I ordered one on Monday.

Now back to the grinder. I started looking for something that was a manual hand grinder. Granted I was looking for a uniform grind, but I really enjoy making my coffee in the morning, and the naturalist / purest in me gravitated towards a hand grinder. I was also looking for something for my brother who's about to drive across Canada, doing a bunch of camping. He likes coffee, but never uses whole beans, which in my opinion is the lazy way to a mediocre cup of joe. Well, I ended up on the Hairo Mini Mill, which is a pretty compact, simple, but decent quality grinder, which I also ended up ordering on Monday.

Everything arrived today. :-) After lunch I excitedly unpacked the press and mill, read all the instructions (I know, who reads instructions right?), and put the kettle on. Well, I've got one word for the cup of coffee I made with the Hairo + Aeropress...

Heaven!!

Seriously. This is hands down the best cup of coffee I've ever made at home, and one of the better cups of coffee in general that I've had. First try. I really hope it wasn't just beginners luck! I was even using generic bold beans from zehrs.

So if you're hunting for a simple, cost effective, and high quality espresso maker or hand grinder, I highly recommend giving the Aeropress and Hairo Mini Mill a try. Regardless of mill, if you're looking for easy espresso at home, the Aeropress is the answer, and makes an incredible coffee. For the price, if you don't have one of these, just pick it up, you won't be disappointed!

Thanks for the great forums jam packed with info! Can't wait to continue my coffee education.

Cheers,

LKing
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Mar 27, 2013, 12:05pm
Subject: Re: New to forum, and sharing a great coffee experience!

Welcome to CG!

Glad you love your new setup.  I too have an Aeropress, and when I use it I grind by hand with an OE Lido.  I love the coffee it makes as well, and can tell you...no, you're not just lucky, you will get similar results time after time, if you stick to a consistent preparation.  

I have to say though, the great coffee the Aeropress produces, although concentrated and very strong, is NOT espresso.  Yeah, they advertise it is, but really, it's more akin to the concentrate you get from a stovetop moka pot.  There's no way a normal person can push 8 bar pressure of 200F water through a puck of finely packed grounds (only a part of the definition of espresso).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
LKing

Posted Wed Mar 27, 2013, 12:33pm

Ah, thanks for the clarification. As much as I'm getting more picky about great tasting coffee, I'm a pretty big newb in terms of how much I actually know about making coffee.

Either way, the Aeropress / Hairo is a considerable step up from the old blade grinder and French press I've been using (which was better than the pre-ground and coffee maker before that).. I was just so surprised at how noticeably better the coffee was.

Now I just have to pick up a good frother and learn how to use it so i can actually make a latte (or at least an Aeropress latte...given your clarification ;-)
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Mar 27, 2013, 12:56pm

yeah, agree, the combo is a big step up from a whirlybird bean hacker and regular FP.  You might want to read the Aeropress forum too, there are a bunch of people using it inverted, so it is more like an immersion brew system, which you then press out.  There's also a lot of discussion there about water temps, dosing, extraction ratios, etc.

There are a bunch of frothers on the market. Most, I think, are used on the stovetop.  The Nespresso one is electric and isn't bad for a simple "pour in the milk and wait" product and it's really portable, but then again...you don't get the hands-on or the enjoyment and satisfaction/pride of doing it yourself.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 5:29am

Glad to know you got good experience on first the try. I was thinking of getting something good for my friend, and I think you found the perfect pair for you.
I know there are other products, but it's great to hear from people who got first-hand experiences.

Cheers!

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
LKing

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 5:33pm

A month later I'm still as impressed. The other day I had to make some coffee for my wife and to speed this up I just used my whirlybird grinder and French press, and the lower quality taste was such a dramatic difference.

Hand ground with Aeropress all the way!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 8:51am

The grinder you use affects the flavor in the cup.  Try the french press with the hand grinder.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
LKing

Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013, 7:42am

Coffeenoobie Said:

The grinder you use affects the flavor in the cup.  Try the french press with the hand grinder.

Posted April 22, 2013 link

Yeah, I was in a hurry, and also was too lazy to adjust my hand grinder for the proper size a press needs. I'll need to pick up an electric burr grinder soon. :-)
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013, 8:49am

They are cheap enough that you could get another hand grinder for the french press.  My understanding is that the french press is less picky than espresso but still needs a good grinder.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 6:33am

Yes welcome ,you can learn a lot here and people are willing to help each other along the way. The wonderful aspect about coffee is that it will continue to satisfy,mystify,humble,and challenge you. Its been
likened to a journey and I really tend to believe thats true. Like any journey over the long haul it will test you,elate you,humble you and tire you. So dont be surprised if you find yourself asking the wife
( such patient creatures ) down the road things like " honey we need to move up to this machine or that grinder" . Once again welcome aboard.

LKing Said:

Ah, thanks for the clarification. As much as I'm getting more picky about great tasting coffee, I'm a pretty big newb in terms of how much I actually know about making coffee.

Either way, the Aeropress / Hairo is a considerable step up from the old blade grinder and French press I've been using (which was better than the pre-ground and coffee maker before that).. I was just so surprised at how noticeably better the coffee was.

Now I just have to pick up a good frother and learn how to use it so i can actually make a latte (or at least an Aeropress latte...given your clarification ;-)

Posted March 27, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > New to forum,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.282435178757)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+