Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Need Espresso Extraction and Milk Texturing Classes
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Need Espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MagicPrincess707
MagicPrincess707
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 11:05am
Subject: Need Espresso Extraction and Milk Texturing Classes

Hi!  Iím really new to the whole coffee/espresso scene and am interested in taking basic espresso extraction and milk texturing classes and workshops.  I started working for a new tradeshow coffee bar company, but am unable to work my first event with them until I at least have the basics down.  

Iíve done a ton of research online to try to find classes, but all the barista schools, academies and workshops I have found cost $1,000 - $2,000 for 2 Ė 3 day classes that are a bit more advanced then I need.  I have also contacted several local cafes and coffee bean companies in my area, and none of them seem to offer any type of barista classes (just free cupping and tasting seasons.)

If anyone can give me recommendations on where I can take some basic espresso extraction and milk texturing classes that would be great.  I live in the greater San Francisco, CA area, but am willing to travel anywhere within CA to the take classes.  Iím open to attending a structured school/class, or if there are any die-hard baristas willing to train me one-on-one I am open to that too.  Reasonable cost would be appreciated as well.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 11:49am
Subject: Re: Need Espresso Extraction and Milk Texturing Classes

welcome to CG!

klatchroasting.com offers one day classes with 2 time US champ Heather Perry.  The classes are limited to 5 attendees (unless they've expanded the room or added a third station, in which they'd be able to have 6 students.  It's located in Upland (part of the LA area between Pomona and Ontario). You won't be a pro after the class, but you'll definitely have a good understanding of the entire process from bean to cup for espressos, cappuccinos and lattes.  When I took the class we spent the afternoon frothing 10 gallons of milk, and I was making rosettas by the time I went home.  Before that, I was struggling to get decent frothed milk on a regular basis (using a v1 Rancilio Silvia).  The morning session was all about beans, and I learned enough to appreciate the difference between shots of the same blend at different dose weights and hone in my skills at home.  In al, it was a fantastic experience and one I'd highly recommend to anyone wanting to improve their "barista skills".

Do you have gear at home? If so, I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a local barista to spend a day with you for free lunch and a reasonable fee.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
MagicPrincess707
MagicPrincess707
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 11:54am

Thanks for the great recommendation!  I just checked out the klatchroasting.com website, and their 1-day class looks like it's exactly what I need (the the price is resonable as well.)  I just emailed them, so hopefully I can get signed up to take that class.

Thanks again for the help!
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 1:42pm

I took a milk texturing class at the old Barefoot Coffee Roasters cafe in Santa Clara.  That location is now Chromatic Coffee, but there's significant overlap in the people on bar there and the last time I was in I spoke to the barista that taught me to pour hearts.  He said that they're starting up classes again.  It might be worth checking out if you just need practice.

I have a feeling that the classes at Klatch will be more comprehensive (and probably a bit more costly).

Good luck, what ever you chose.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Need Espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.433156967163)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+