Espresso: General Discussion
Portafilter baskets
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Portafilter...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
eyetechie

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 3:59am
Subject: Portafilter baskets

Always in pursuit for a better espresso.  I have a Gaggia classic and a Presico grinder. I notice that when I remove the PF the puck has a lot of water lying on top and is sloppy.    Wondering if I should use a better PF basket.  Have been reading about VST and Synesso.  Also, what size would I start with? Appreciate any feedback
 View Profile Link to this post
TimEggers
TimEggers
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 8:01am
Subject: Re: Portafilter baskets

How the puck looks is absolutely irrelevant, its the taste of espresso is.

As far as basket, pick a size as close to the amount you most often dose at, or buy a few baskets to cover the ranges.

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
eyetechie

Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 10:44am

Taste variable,  sometimes great, sometimes not.  Striving for consistency in dose and tamp.  While I'm at it, thought I would start out with a better basket.  Opinions on favorite PF baskets appreciated.  Thanks
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 10:54am

I've never seen a single comment that any basket is better than the VSTs.  I personally own Stradas, which I believe are close to the quality of VSTs (from what I've read).  I like them, but I've been considering VSTs for a while now.  In the BST forum, there's someone in DC selling all his equipment, and he's got 4 VST baskets (17g, 18g, 20g and 21g).  I haven't yet asked to see if he'd sell them separate, but hey..if you beat me to it...well, that's my bad.

You should probably be aware that different baskets are almost assuredly going to have nil effect on your wet puck issue...but as Tim pointed out...that shouldn't make a rat's @ss difference on whether you like the shots or not.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
fwtechwiz

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Hario Skerton
Posted Sun Apr 14, 2013, 12:51pm

Wet pucks on a Gaggia Classic are almost always caused by a sticking or plugged 3-way solenoid valve.  Try a backflush with Cafiza or PuroCaffe and if necessary disassemble the 3-way valve and check for scale buildup.  
BTW I have been working with an 18 g. VST basket for a few weeks now, and it definitely improves the taste and extraction compared to the stock Gaggia basket.  But it won't give you any drier puck if your 3-way isn't working up to snuff.
AntWilliams90
AntWilliams90
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mahlkonig Vario Home
Roaster: Dieckmann Rostmeister
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 5:34am

Ditto fwtechwiz - I use the 18g ridgeless VST basket in a bottomless portafilter with my Gaggia Classic - it made a huge difference to the stock Gaggia basket!

As soon as you sit down to a cup of hot coffee, your boss will ask you to do something which will last until the coffee is cold.
ZBoT

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic w/ Auber PID
Grinder: Cunil Tranquilo
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 10:58am

If I dose anything less than 16g in my Gaggia Classic, I start to get a wet "soupy" puck.  How much coffee are you using?
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 1:19pm

If you want a dry puck, use more coffee.

All a dry puck means is that there was enough coffee to fill up the basket, that the only water left over, the 3 way valve was able to evacuate it all.

If there is less coffee, there is more space for water, and the 3 way valve can't get it all.

There is nothing to be gained from a dry puck.  Sometimes coffees taste good at low doses.  IF that means a wet puck, then thats what it means.

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Mon Apr 15, 2013, 1:25pm

I have also found that stale beans are more likely to leave water on the puck after extraction.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
eyetechie

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 4:32am

I'm using 16 grams of Red Bird, no older than 2 weeks.  My machine is 6 months old.  Have descaled twice, clean wit Cafiza about every 2 weeks, and just started  back flushing (because of the debate of to BF or not to BF with Gaggia).   Will increase my dose and see how my puck looks and tastes.    However,  taste has been good, so maybe I shouldn't be concerned.  Also, will try the VST.  Thanks for input.  Will keep you all posted on the result
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Portafilter...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.246814966202)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+