Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Do beans really matter for lattes?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Do beans really...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 9:41am
Subject: Re: Do beans really matter for lattes?

How much does a class like that run?

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 11:03am

grant862 Said:

I use Trader Joe's medium roast ($4.99/lb) beans for my lattes and the taste is a 7+/10.

Personally, I'm a student w/ no income and for lattes, I can't justify the taste difference for 10oz+ lattes (virtually the same, but not quite). I calculated it, and TJ's beans are .25 cents a shot...whereas local roast is about $1.

Posted March 23, 2013 link

So why not buy 5lbs at the time from Redbird and have the best of both? True you have to fool with freezing but even with the cost of freezing your in the "fiscal" ball park.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
 View Profile Link to this post
TonyVan

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 6:13pm

There's no question it matters, not just in the suitability of the coffee type for milk drinks, but the outright quality, condition and success of the shot.

I drink a mix of pure espressos, cappas, lattes sometimes and Gibraltars, and I can most easily discern coffee quality when in espresso form.  But my wife has a better palate than I do, and regardless of how much milk might accompany the espresso in her cup, she tastes right through it and can nail any changes I might make, in a fully blind situation.

So I think it has a lot to do with what you're used to.  A person, say, that consistently uses sugar and/or x-amount of milk will edit those constants out and can tune into the espresso quality at the core of the drink.
grant862

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama 3 cup
Drip: Hario v60
Roaster: Portola Coffee Lab (yum)
Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 7:03pm

jwoodyu Said:

So why not buy 5lbs at the time from Redbird and have the best of both? True you have to fool with freezing but even with the cost of freezing your in the "fiscal" ball park.

Posted March 24, 2013 link

I agree...that seems like the best affordable option and my next one once i figure out how best to freeze the beans.
dyqik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 11:53am

grant862 Said:

I agree...that seems like the best affordable option and my next one once i figure out how best to freeze the beans.

Posted March 24, 2013 link

Just splitting the 5lbs of beans into 6-7 ziplocs and freezing with as much air squeezed out at the back of the fridge-top freezer worked OK for me using just under a 1lb a week.  You can go fancier for longer term storage, but for a month or so that seems to be OK to me.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 12:19pm

I use the zip lock bags you pump air out of and I put about a cup in each one.  It takes me about 2-3 days to go through that so they are used up faster.  Out of the freezer it seems to age faster.  Basically, I am suggesting you put 2-3 days worth in each bag rather than a week's worth.  It takes me 2 months to go through 5 lbs.

Coffeenoobie

AlexKilpatrick

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Bairtiza Vario
Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 12:54pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

I use the zip lock bags you pump air out of and I put about a cup in each one.  It takes me about 2-3 days to go through that so they are used up faster.  Out of the freezer it seems to age faster.  Basically, I am suggesting you put 2-3 days worth in each bag rather than a week's worth.  It takes me 2 months to go through 5 lbs.

Posted March 25, 2013 link

The other advantage to this is that you don't have to mess with the grind very much, since the beans are around the same "age" all the time.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 1:25pm

I can definitely tell a difference with cheap/bad beans vs fresh roasted, i.e. Starbucks beans will give the milk drink that same burnt/ashy flavor. We mainly make iced coffee's/latte whatever you want to call it lol.

Far as freezing, I use the ball canning jars with a zip lock bag in each, with I think 90g or so of beans in each one. One get's low, take one out to defrost overnight. And just squeeze the air out of the zip each time I use the beans. Works for me. I freeze the beans right after delivery or usually within a day.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 1:37pm

Yes the grind thing helps.

Coffeenoobie

emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 1:50pm

CMIN Said:

I can definitely tell a difference with cheap/bad beans vs fresh roasted, i.e. Starbucks beans will give the milk drink that same burnt/ashy flavor. We mainly make iced coffee's/latte whatever you want to call it lol.

I agree...and find the *$$ beverages undrinkable, even when loaded with syrup, sugar and chocolate.

CMIN Said:

Far as freezing, I use the ball canning jars with a zip lock bag in each, with I think 90g or so of beans in each one. One get's low, take one out to defrost overnight. And just squeeze the air out of the zip each time I use the beans. Works for me. I freeze the beans right after delivery or usually within a day.

I pretty much do the same thing, though I don't use the ziplocks inside of the canning jars.  Instead, I leave mine on the counter with the lid on loose for about 1/2 to 1 full day...my thinking that the degassing CO2 drives any retained air out.  When ready I lock down the lids and put them in the freezer. I thaw the same as above...then dump the jar into my hopper. I basically get about 10g/ounce in the canning jars.  Calculate needed size based on expected usage (they come in 4, 8 and 16 oz sizes - well, they come in large, but what's the point of using those?).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Do beans really...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.341331005096)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+