Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Yet another thread about freezing roast beans at home
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Yet another...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
JohnLyn
JohnLyn
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Mon Mar 11, 2013, 9:09am
Subject: Re: Yet another thread about freezing roast beans at home

calblacksmith Said:

The rule of thumb is if it makes a difference that you can taste, then don't do it!

I do not detect a difference so I do freeze..... YMMV!

Posted March 5, 2013 link

You nailed it here. Tape the valve and put the bag into a freezer bag has produced results of which I cannot taste a difference over the fresh bag. However, every now and then, (2x year), I'll pull a bag out of the freezer that just won't work out.
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Tue Mar 12, 2013, 5:22am

The thermostat in a home frige/freezer is in the refrigerator section, any one that has one in a garage in a cold climate will know this since the freezer will no longer stay below 25f once the surrounding temp gets below 40f. This means in a house your freezer temps are related to refrigerator usage, if the refrigerator gets opened a lot the thermostat will turn on the cooling more frequently and the freezer will get cooling, if it is not opened a lot and it is being efficient then the freezer will maintain a slighter higher temp and can be warmed even more during the defrost cycle. My home freezers are for already frozen foods and are not kept for very long in there.

A deep freezer is just that, mine maintains -10 consistently, an unfrozen piece of meat is frozen in a matter of an hour, quicker if I activate the switch to turn on the cooling. I have had as much as 20lbs of roasted beans in the chest for as long as 6 months. I can do a blind taste any time with fresh roast vs frozen bean of the same rest and have, I still freeze even though I have 135lbs of greens in storage as well.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 11:43am

Well I for one am happy its working for you,and I mean that my Chevy brother.

germantownrob Said:

The thermostat in a home frige/freezer is in the refrigerator section, any one that has one in a garage in a cold climate will know this since the freezer will no longer stay below 25f once the surrounding temp gets below 40f. This means in a house your freezer temps are related to refrigerator usage, if the refrigerator gets opened a lot the thermostat will turn on the cooling more frequently and the freezer will get cooling, if it is not opened a lot and it is being efficient then the freezer will maintain a slighter higher temp and can be warmed even more during the defrost cycle. My home freezers are for already frozen foods and are not kept for very long in there.

A deep freezer is just that, mine maintains -10 consistently, an unfrozen piece of meat is frozen in a matter of an hour, quicker if I activate the switch to turn on the cooling. I have had as much as 20lbs of roasted beans in the chest for as long as 6 months. I can do a blind taste any time with fresh roast vs frozen bean of the same rest and have, I still freeze even though I have 135lbs of greens in storage as well.

Posted March 12, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 8:35am

Iluvdabean Said:

Well I for one am happy its working for you,and I mean that my Chevy brother.

Posted March 13, 2013 link

I feel I need to say my freezing is done in deep freezer at -10f.

Refridgeration and the freezer is something moder day folks could not live without. Does anyone come home and put fresh meat, poultry, or fish in a cabenit? I put it in the refridgerator so it will last more then an hour or two. If I buy flash frozen vegetables or fruit out of season of fresh I do not put them in the refridgerator because they will turn to mush, I put them in the freezer and if I got them on sale and won't use them up in two weeks I put them in the deep freezer. I have used these tools for years with great success for preserving fresh foods and flash frozen foods and when done proper things are tasty, if not these foods are garbage. When I buy a pig or a side of beef that was slaughtered earlier in the week I can not eat or even cook all that meat in a week so I either butcher it down further and do my best at flash freezing ( my chest can be turned on in advance to get close to -20f) or keep primal cuts and deep freeze. Never once has anyone said to me "that meat must have come from the freezer", in fact my meat from the freezer was fresher then anything you will ever get from a supermarket and even most specialty markets. One can only assume that what is being sold as fresh meats and sea food that it has never been frozen, don't assume, know. If seafood is not 100% fresh I will not waste my money on it, I prefer to buy seafood that was frozen on the boat and purchase as close to the source I can so I limit the amount of chances it was frozen and defrosted repeatedly.

Coffe is a food, why doesn't freezing work? I wonder if anybody ever cooked up some of the wooly mamoth meat from the one(s) they found frozen?
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 5:04pm

I started BBQing when I was 18. I am now 61. I have never ever in my life spent serious money on prime beef to throw it in the freezer. I have never ever
had any frozen meat that was frozen taste like fresh. I buy all kinds of meat but Harris Ranch Master Cut aged beef is very very good. Like I said I am glad its working for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4blT9_LpOc
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 5:14pm

germantownrob Said:

I feel I need to say my freezing is done in deep freezer at -10f.

Refridgeration and the freezer is something moder day folks could not live without. Does anyone come home and put fresh meat, poultry, or fish in a cabenit? I put it in the refridgerator so it will last more then an hour or two. If I buy flash frozen vegetables or fruit out of season of fresh I do not put them in the refridgerator because they will turn to mush, I put them in the freezer and if I got them on sale and won't use them up in two weeks I put them in the deep freezer. I have used these tools for years with great success for preserving fresh foods and flash frozen foods and when done proper things are tasty, if not these foods are garbage. When I buy a pig or a side of beef that was slaughtered earlier in the week I can not eat or even cook all that meat in a week so I either butcher it down further and do my best at flash freezing ( my chest can be turned on in advance to get close to -20f) or keep primal cuts and deep freeze. Never once has anyone said to me "that meat must have come from the freezer", in fact my meat from the freezer was fresher then anything you will ever get from a supermarket and even most specialty markets. One can only assume that what is being sold as fresh meats and sea food that it has never been frozen, don't assume, know. If seafood is not 100% fresh I will not waste my money on it, I prefer to buy seafood that was frozen on the boat and purchase as close to the source I can so I limit the amount of chances it was frozen and defrosted repeatedly.

Coffe is a food, why doesn't freezing work? I wonder if anybody ever cooked up some of the wooly mamoth meat from the one(s) they found frozen?

Posted March 19, 2013 link

What a riot, Rob.  Made my night.  Now I am wondering if you wrote like that on purpose or after a few.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Yet another...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.296042919159)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+