Espresso: General Discussion
Canadian Coffee Scene
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Canadian Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
stephen_wood
stephen_wood
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 11:00am
Subject: Canadian Coffee Scene

Hey everyone, i've often browsed through the forum as a guest but just joined as a member and have a couple of questions to ask!
I've always had a real passion for anything coffee and i'm currently training as a barista in my hometown near Brighton, England. However i'm off to Canada for a year in October and i've noticed that the Canadian coffee scene seems to be pretty buzzing, my main aim would be to find barista related work whilst i'm out there...So with that in mind, is anyone able to reccommend some great coffee spots in Toronto, Montreal, Calgary, Ottawa and Vancouver. Any help much appreciated!
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 7:28pm
Subject: Re: Canadian Coffee Scene

Stephen, welcome to CG.
Perhaps if I moved your thread to the Western Canada Forum? There's only Eastern and Western, no "Central." :>D
You can't post it yourself, or you'd be "Cross posting" a no-no here.

OR, we can let it ride here a little longer.
Consider my bump, and your ensuing greeting back to me as a couple of "Bumps!"

Cheers, and best of luck with your job seek.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Winnisk

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvano
Grinder: Vario
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 11:31pm

Hi Steven,

I don't live close enough to a city to enjoy getting out to enjoy coffe often; however, I was out west skiing last week and we were staying in Canmore which is in the Rockies about an hour outside of Calgary, near Banff. They have a great cafe there: Communitea - http://www.thecommunitea.com/communitea_cafe/home.html - that I can't say enough good things about.

On my way back to the airport I made a detour to Analog Cafe - http://www.fratellocoffee.com/fratello-analog-cafe/ - another gem.

Not only was the espresso delicious in both places, but the service was first rate. There was an obvious commitment to quality and a sense that the staff were all enjoying what they were doing.  

I would highly recommend both. It sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned. I am sure you will love it!
stephen_wood
stephen_wood

Posted Sun Mar 24, 2013, 12:51am

Ah thanks for the tip! Feel free to move it to the Canadian section of the forum..i'm still trying to figure out all the details of using a forum haha
sharky
sharky

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Tue Apr 2, 2013, 1:51pm

I would agree with Analog coffee shops . . . they really pull a great shot!

Winnisk Said:

Hi Steven,

I don't live close enough to a city to enjoy getting out to enjoy coffe often; however, I was out west skiing last week and we were staying in Canmore which is in the Rockies about an hour outside of Calgary, near Banff. They have a great cafe there: Communitea - http://www.thecommunitea.com/communitea_cafe/home.html - that I can't say enough good things about.

On my way back to the airport I made a detour to Analog Cafe - http://www.fratellocoffee.com/fratello-analog-cafe/ - another gem.

Not only was the espresso delicious in both places, but the service was first rate. There was an obvious commitment to quality and a sense that the staff were all enjoying what they were doing.  

I would highly recommend both. It sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned. I am sure you will love it!

Posted March 23, 2013 link

JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Wed Apr 3, 2013, 5:43am

There are definitely a number of great cafes and the list is getting bigger. And you have options for either city or rural.

Calgary: Phil and Sebastians have some of the best roasted coffee in canada and have at least a third place finnish in barista comps.
Kawa coffee also takes their coffee seriously. I know there are others....

Then.... small towns in mountain paradise!

not quite in the mountains but a great small town in Cochrane. Java Jambory runs a Synesso, serve Phil and Sebastians and are serious about the shots they pull.

Jasper, best coffee is in the laundromat. They are rocking a slayer and serve Fratello bro's. They need some help to pull a better shot but they do take it seriously.

Canmore has two quality places: Communitea - Synesso and Iteligencia coffee; Mercato, La Morzoco and Phil and Sebastian's coffee. There is also a french bakery serving Fratello bro's but they need help n the machine.

Revelstoke, there is a place called La Baguette. they serve parallel 49 and also take their shots seriously. Olivier also has a location at the ski hill, one with a la morzocco, the other with a Synesso.

Invermere has kicking horse coffee. not my favourite but they are serious about their roasting and they serve great coffee at their location. they are using a number of brew methods and are the only place I have seen in BC using syphon. Their machine is a La Spazialle commercial.

Nelson, Oso Negro is legendary in the old school style. They roast their own and again, I think they need help with their straight shots but none the less, they are not a disappointment. The use a La Morzocco.

Rossland, Alpine grind is serious but a little inconsistent.

Cranbrook, I was talking with the owner of Hot Shots and they want to improve their coffee with better beans and hopefully some training. Great location but they need some help for sure.

Kelowna, Cherry hill roasters is more on the traditional side and not all the baristas are trained but they are not too bad on the Aurelia.

My town, Golden, has a roaster and two comfortable cafe's, great scenes but lousy coffee from the machines. Come here and start a trend towards great coffee.

Then there is Vancouver. Search the site, you will find some GREAT cafes. My fav at this time is Revolver. I love how they take the coffee they serve seriously and have a lot of fun with it. They are serving Phil and Sebastian's.
sharky
sharky

Posted Wed Apr 3, 2013, 1:51pm

Wow, JohnLyn you have really done your homework!  Thanks for the list!  Some good shops to visit on our motorcycle ride to the coast each year!
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Wed Apr 3, 2013, 2:07pm

sharky Said:

Wow, JohnLyn you have really done your homework!  Thanks for the list!  Some good shops to visit on our motorcycle ride to the coast each year!

Posted April 3, 2013 link

Thank you. It is just fun to discover cafe's wherever I go and get to know the owners and baristas. Can't go wrong on bike through ab- bc. I love the mountain communities.
sharky
sharky

Posted Wed Apr 3, 2013, 6:31pm

Well, being from Golden, it doesn't get more beautiful than that!  A great golf course too!

JohnLyn Said:

Thank you. It is just fun to discover cafe's wherever I go and get to know the owners and baristas. Can't go wrong on bike through ab- bc. I love the mountain communities.

Posted April 3, 2013 link

stephen_wood
stephen_wood

Posted Wed Apr 3, 2013, 11:52pm

Thank you for all your help everyone! You've given me a lot to research. I found a great new brew bar in Notting Hill, London, yesterday where the head barista is Canadian on a working holiday, so listed a few places for me also!! :)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Canadian Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.305956125259)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+