Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
How difficult for a beginner?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > How difficult...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
whitty

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 9:15am
Subject: How difficult for a beginner?

Hey, folks. I'm going to make this quick so you don't have to sift through too many words. I'd love some advice. I'm considering jumping into the world of espresso and essentially my only experience is with super-autos, cafes and coffee shops. I've done some research and am considering the following package that I have pieced together on 1st line. First before I dive in too deep...Am I going to be way over my head and find that I spent a bunch of money and can't make anything potable for weeks? I have no experience with a semi-automatic...how difficult is it to make a decent shot? I don't expect perfection, but also don't want to waste a bunch of money. What can I expect from the learning curve? Second, thoughts on the package and equipment for a first timer. Thanks!

Lelit PL041QE Espresso Machine Package- 241818
$429.00
Add A Grinder (optional):  Lelit PL53 Espresso Grinder - doserless, stepless - B107---
       $170.00
Concept Art/Rexroth Tamper Base - 57mm, knock ring - ST23D---
$20.00
Concept Art/Rexroth Wooden Tamper Handle - Rosewood - ST23D
      $29.19
Pallo COFFEETOOL Black Original "Scald-Free" Grouphead Brush- ST9E
       $6.30
International Steaming Pitcher - 20 fl oz max - B216---
$11.66
Harold Import Company Coffee Grinder Brush- ST9B (42130)
$4.95
Concept Art/Rexroth Knock Box - basic - ST10C (GEKBoxBlack)
$19.94

Total: $691.04
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 11:10am
Subject: Re: How difficult for a beginner?

whitty Said:

Hey, folks. I'm going to make this quick so you don't have to sift through too many words. I'd love some advice. I'm considering jumping into the world of espresso and essentially my only experience is with super-autos, cafes and coffee shops. I've done some research and am considering the following package that I have pieced together on 1st line. First before I dive in too deep...Am I going to be way over my head and find that I spent a bunch of money and can't make anything potable for weeks? I have no experience with a semi-automatic...how difficult is it to make a decent shot? I don't expect perfection, but also don't want to waste a bunch of money. What can I expect from the learning curve? Second, thoughts on the package and equipment for a first timer. Thanks!

Lelit PL041QE Espresso Machine Package- 241818
$429.00
Add A Grinder (optional):  Lelit PL53 Espresso Grinder - doserless, stepless - B107---
       $170.00
Concept Art/Rexroth Tamper Base - 57mm, knock ring - ST23D---
$20.00
Concept Art/Rexroth Wooden Tamper Handle - Rosewood - ST23D
      $29.19
Pallo COFFEETOOL Black Original "Scald-Free" Grouphead Brush- ST9E
       $6.30
$11.66
Harold Import Company Coffee Grinder Brush- ST9B (42130)
$4.95
Concept Art/Rexroth Knock Box - basic - ST10C (GEKBoxBlack)
$19.94

Total: $691.04

Posted March 19, 2013 link

Will, welcome to CG.
Include $ for cleaning supplies (Joe Glo, cafiza, etc), or get your vendor to include as a gift.
If your budget is $700, and you like the looks of your gear, why not?
I would say DO NOT buy these machines from other than a reputable vendor.

You're gonna get the inevitable "but if you spend xxxx$$$ more you can get xxxxx."
The ONLY place worth upgrading would be the grinder, as the grinder is the centerpiece of your espresso shrine.
Your grinder is plenty good enough for now, though. Don't get locked into "matching" machine and grinder. Get the best you can afford of grinder and machine.
BTW, if you plan on making a lot of milk drinks, this machine is not the best choice, as there will be a wait to steam, or if you steam first (recommended) a wait for the temperature to fall for espresso.
A HX machine would be better, but even preowned will be $300-600 more. The NS Oscar would be the best alternative, or perhaps the Bezzara.

If you're doing 75% or more espresso, what you have  spelled out will work fine.

Keep us informed!

EDIT, the learning curve is not as bad as you may have heard. :>D
That said, if you can afford a "Bottomless" Porta filter, I'd get one. This way, you can clearly (and at first PAINFULLY) see any problems with your technique. If there are spritzes (water squirts out of the basket) and such, that is a sign of poor distribution technique.
The key is making sure the coffee is distributed evenly in the basket, with no side breaks for water to creep in, which causes "channeling."
Tamping is over-rated. Just level, don't get fussy.
EDITED again for horrible typos. :>D

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 12:16pm

Never pulled a shot in my life before getting Oscar.  I love him.  I am glad I jumped in with both feet.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
whitty

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 12:47pm

I will probably making about 50/50 espresso and milk drinks given who I am making for. I wish I could afford the oscar, but you've gotta start somewhere. Suggestions on a starter grinder? I know you can spend a ton, but if I'm trying to hit the $700 mark and get something in the range of the gaggia classic or lelit, I'm not sure I can spend $500+ on a grinder right now. The baratza virtuoso is possibly affordable. Not sure how it compares to the lelit. Any suggestions on reputable vendors?
Thanks for the feedback!
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Mar 19, 2013, 2:35pm

Most of us consider the Preciso to be entry level for electric espresso grinders. You can get a refurbished one from Baratza with a one yr warranty for $239. You could also opt for a manual grinder, such as a Hario Slim ($40) or Skerton ($50), or an Orphan Espresso (OE) Lido ($165 + shipping).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 10:39am

whitty Said:

First before I dive in too deep...Am I going to be way over my head and find that I spent a bunch of money and can't make anything potable for weeks? I have no experience with a semi-automatic...how difficult is it to make a decent shot?

Impossible for us to tell you.  Some find a steep learing curve.  Others have no problem.  People aren't all identical and don't learn the same way(s) or at the same rate.  If you can pay attention to what you're doing and if you have the enthusiasm then there's no reason that you can't pick it up.  If you're just looking for a new shiny toy then you might end up easily distracted.

Further, what's "decent" is highly subjective.  As a newbie if you haven't had experience with really good coffee shops it's probably easy to get a decent shot.  As you experience better shots, the bar for "decent" goes up.

emradguy Said:

Most of us consider the Preciso to be entry level for electric espresso grinders.

I'd also suggest aiming for a Preciso or better.  Remember that the grinder is more important.

whitty Said:

$11.66

20 oz also seems a bit large to me.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Thu Mar 21, 2013, 11:08am

takeshi Said:

20 oz also seems a bit large to me.

Posted March 21, 2013 link

Good catch, Don!  I agree...probably want a 12 or 16oz pitcher to start - If only buying one pitcher, I'd get the 16oz, then think about what else I need/want later.

calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 5:44am

The cost of a pitcher is minimal when choosing between two sizes.
I use a 32 oz pitcher with 16 oz milk. That may come as a shock to some and others yawn YMMV but I add enough espresso to just make a very large cap, something I can drink for an hour or more on my drive to work.
I say, buy equipment for what you intend to do and adjust from there YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Mar 22, 2013, 5:46am

But you're not using a Lelit

IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Mar 23, 2013, 2:53pm

Moving on from which milk pitcher to get, focusing on the grinder, the Lelit is a bit noisy, but many feel it does a more than decent job.
The Preciso is more versatile. Not having used or owned the Lelit, I can't comment on the grind quality compared to the Preciso.
I CAN comment on Baratza's Customer Service, which is among the very best in the coffee industry.

It's good you understand the importance of the grinder, and also reading all instruction manuals!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > How difficult...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.373428106308)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+