Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: General Discussion
Have you spotted a trend toward overly "bright" (acidic) espresso?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > General > Have you spotted...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
lost

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Maestro,Mazzer Super...
Vac Pot: Elec. Sunbeam, Cory,...
Drip: Newco, Clever Dripper,...
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012, 5:57pm
Subject: Re: Have you spotted a trend toward overly "bright" (acidic) espresso?

You should see what the yanks have done to good Czech Budvar (Budwieser) beer
 View Profile Link to this post
sherpakid

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex, Aeropress, Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 9:04am

Ha, I've noticed this trend too. And I don't like it. I like the classic chocolate bomb and it's getting harder and harder to find that. We've tried getting our espresso into various cafe's and we've been denied because ours is the classic chocolate, caramel, molasses profile. A lot of the cafe's are looking for bright espresso. We refuse to go down that path. I feel that it's a trend that will eventually circle back to the chocolate side of things. It's like what bicycle frame manufacturers did in the 90s. They moved away from the traditional triangle frame geometry and came out with really odd frame geometries. Eventually, the industry came back to its senses after all the experimentation. Some new materials were made popular and little tweaks here and there, but for the most part, the majority of frames are back to the more traditional triangular geometry. I think the same thing will happen with espresso. I don't like the bright espressos, but I also think that it's a sign of development that people are pushing the envelope to see what's out there and what can be done. Eventually it will circle back, or I should say that I HOPE it circles back to less bright espressos.

www.prohibitionspecialtycoffee.com
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 9:46am

Yeh I much prefer the deep, chocolately/caramel/nutty taste over the bright ones. Some are so bright to me that they don't taste much different than an under-extracted shot b/c of that really sour twang/bite, I don't care about tasting 'floral' in my coffee. Look at Black Cat, used to be so deep and yummy, now its like really blahh sour taste.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012, 10:27pm

I think part of the issue of "tangy/lemony" espresso has to do with improper brew temperatures as well. I can attest to my failings there!

That said, I often read descriptions of the chocolate-y, dark fruit-ish shots many of us love after dinner described (sometimes a bit unflatteringly) as "comfort food" shots....as if those taste profiles are somehow "lowbrow",  somehow less distinguished, plebeian, etc.

Now THAT said, a local "3rd wave" style cafe (equipped with a Slayer, 10 Hario stations, siphon brewed, etc) pulled a shot for me that was EXQUISITE...sweet strawberry, zero chocolate or anything in that region. It was just a magnificent representation of that particular bean, an El Salvador.
I didn't see the actual bean used, nor did I care.
So, I believe a great shot can showcase the fruit/acidic elements, minus the caramel and chocolate.
It's that damned LEMON thing...at least for me.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Stuart

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Air Crazy popper
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2012, 2:41pm

Mmmnn, strawberry. Brown Coffee Co. is featuring something this week they call "Barn Burner" espresso (a blend) that is hugely fruit-forward; but sweet, not acidic at all. This is a new offering for them, I think; at least I hadn't seen it before.

This provoked a "WOW" moment in the shop. I mean, I sat with my shot and my water, took that first sip (I could smell the strawberry beforehand), and said, out loud, "Wow!"

Sometimes I hear about different fruit flavors being present in coffee, and I can sort of half-taste them with the power of suggestion working for me. But this was different.

And, much to my pleasure, I was able to come close to that flavor experience at home. Brown recommended a high dose ratio ( 20g for a 30-ml shot, 202F, 30-second extraction) but I found the distinct fruit notes came through even with a more conventional pull.
Oberon

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2012, 8:59am

oh yes...this is part of the (not exactly) new orthodoxy.  I hate the trend personally, but if others like it, let them have it.  I blame places like Stumptown.
kajitox

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Bodom French Press,...
Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 10:35am

I'm seeing the same trend in California with Four Barrel and Blue Bottle coffees going more towards bright, citrusy light roasts. I honestly don't like them, but it's nice to be able to taste the differences in regions and roasting methods.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
kboom1
kboom1

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 6:15pm

third wave... the anti charbucks movment. taste the origin not the char. I see alot of peeps ordering 20oz lattes and mostly milk drinks these days, when did this become the norm. seems alot of people doesnt know what a good clasic espesso taste like. I admit I roast alot of my beans for 3rd wave espresso,but I also like a good chocolate/caramel bomb every now and then.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > General > Have you spotted...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.23557305336)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+